For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Mobile Forces is using the original Unreal Warfare engine..

Please add information, maps, mods, links or anything else related to Mobile Forces here.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Mobile Forces is using the original Unreal Warfare engine..

Post by Leo T_C_K »

https://forums.beyondunreal.com/threads ... st-2621599

repost/edit from this:
I've just looked into the Mobile Forces game deeper. The game build and everything about it is with no doubt THE Unreal Warfare engine, the original one where UW started on and Unreal 2 followed and this explains also the missing link in MP developement when it's clear to me that Retro had the UW license from this point.

It took ages for Mobile Forces to come out but its engine is really the missing link between unreal engine "1" and "2"...
Sure it's a bit of a crude game but they didn't even bother to remove some references like staticmesh replace function has default "AlienGeorge"....(this is because the mockup mesh in the engine uses that texture)
And there are functions in the editor that were removed from later engine versions. This is truly an unique piece.

This is the first time I'm trying this out but this proves I was right in my arguments...

[URL=http://unrealtexture.com/Hosted/Leo_T_C_K/newstuff/mfedscreens.rar]MFEDscreens[/URL]

Those are screenshots I took of various differences/interesting things. It's too many to show separately so it's in the archive...

EDIT: That wikipedia says it's "unreal engine 1" is bogus...that stuff was invented by marketing liars like Mark Rein who ran the business at the time. I mean guys like him were actively lying about the unreal developement, saying it became an urban legend that it was worked on for about 4 years or so...but that's exactly what happened. Yet he called it a lie. The game had about three separate stages which could be made into three separate games...

Then he lies aboiut the "six months" thing about Steve Polge. Bullshit. Polge was already there at least since january 1997. So in the august interview that's more than six months. SIX MONTHS. What's up with the SIX MONTHS thing. Even the conspirators in Deus Ex keep saying that and I was told that same thing too before I had to "disappear" from somewhere years ago...oh my god the illimunati link is strong here....

Either way the explanation cannot be that he counted six months only when they introduced the new unrealscript and had to re-design the game. Because that doesn't add up. But it was almost six months by then since John Anderson left the team...hmm

I'M SURE THERE'S A GREAT CONSPIRACY BEHIND THIS...ERHM

SIX MONTHS.

Last edited by Leo T_C_K on Fri May 20, 2016 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Re: Mobile Forces is using the original Unreal Warfare engine..

Post by Hellkeeper »

Old men. Running the world.

This is fascinating. Where does this version of the engine stand compared to the one in the UTX beta (2001). If you say it's still UE1, it should be slightly older?
You must construct additional pylons.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

The UTX Beta is from October 2001. This is like early 2001 engine. I'm not actually saying it's Unreal Engine 1, that's what they are saying. But they're wrong. It's really something in between. The Unreal Warfare engine is what this was called before they invented the whole UEngine 2 and tried to reqrite history with that. In fact one of the ut2kx betas I believe the beta demo still uses the concent of hardware brushes seen in leftovers in this mobile forces editor...but those things are not there in the unreal championship alpha (utx beta).

If you look at very early unreal 2 screenshots they seem to use the same "filtering" like mobile forces, etcetera and the models just fit into the general design like the earliest skaarj mesh for unreal 2 that wasn't recovered (the one in the e3 alpha is already a later design).
And various unreal 2 textures featue leftover screenshots, this also fits in with the 2000 unreal technology demo trailer that was released, not very far from this although that still used botpack weapons. 

This puts the height of this engine really somewhere truly early 2001 or going from very late 2000. But they already started the Warfare project by then and developers were happily using it by large numbers.

Don't forget the Unreal 2 alpha is actually just a couple of hundred engine version later than mobile forces. So closest to this is the Unreal 2 alpha and the ut2kx beta demo(s) in practice.

EDIT:
SIX MONTHS
Last edited by Leo T_C_K on Fri May 20, 2016 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

Interesting. I remember seing videos of a weird hybrid between UE1 and UE2 with UT99 weapons and characters but UE2's terrains, some static-meshes and particle systems.

I have the impression UE 2.0, which was not coded from the ground up, was simply the result of progressive additions, extensions and rewriting of parts of UE 1.0. Which explains why we have many different versions spanning the entire continuum between the two. TO my knowledge, UWarfare is simply a name which was taken because it sounded cool, but which was dropped at some time during the development of UE1 into UE2. In this sense, it would not be a lie to call this engine UE2, simply a retroactive use of the definitive name.
EDIT:
SIX MONTHS

:D I love this.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Except I never liked the designation UE1 and such. It wasn't there until like much later. Everyone just called it the unreal engine. Then there was the Warfare engine. Only later they tried to rewrite the history. The Warfare engine was called after the main game they developed at the time at Epic, Unreal Warfare. That game never ended up to be released and its assets instead surfaces in ut2k4 etc and it ultimately became the gears of war, which was the "UE3" already.
But yes, the developement goes like that and many of the teams branched off their own version of the engine, so there's even more differences here and there. Some teams stuck to the core and didn't renew their licenses, others had to keep up with "times", which in many cases only hurted the projects concerned. There's hardly anything wrong with Mobile Forces because it stuck to the engine they've been given to work with. With Unreal 2 that wasn't the case and it showed. They had to constantly keep up, reducing the game quality as it went and stupid decisions from the powers that be...
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

you do realize that all the engines from U1 to UT3 were all incremental builds right? there's not exactly a missing link. warfare is just some arbitrary build number range.

also, supposedly the unreal warfare engine/game was leaked and can be played with the demo map it's got. I think I saw something on youtube about it
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

you do realize that all the engines from U1 to UT3 were all incremental builds right? there's not exactly a missing link. warfare is just some arbitrary build number range.

also, supposedly the unreal warfare engine/game was leaked and can be played with the demo map it's got. I think I saw something on youtube about it
That was a quite late incarnation of unreal warfare. That was just when it was shifting into gears of war..

Still even if you count it just as arbitrary number range, this period that mobile force used was hardly used anywhere else, therefore it's more unique and seeing these features it indeed is. Mobile Forces itself borrows heavily from what Unreal Warfare was, except this doesn't take place in the "Unreal" universe and it doesn't really have class-based separations. Otherwise it's pretty much similar including use of vehicles..
Last edited by Leo T_C_K on Sat May 21, 2016 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

That was a quite late incarnation of unreal warfare. That was just when it was shifting into gears of war..

Any detail about this? I was under the impression that Unreal Warfare actually ended up being Unreal Championship, with the planned vehicles and such.
Last edited by Hellkeeper on Sat May 21, 2016 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Any detail about this? I was under the impression that Unreal Warfare actually ended up being Unreal Championship, with the planned vehicles and such.
No no no, Unreal Championship was developed alongside Unreal 2 and Unreal Warfare, both having branched off with their engine/features. Unreal Warfare was purely Epic thing and DE had nothing to do with it. Unreal Championship was purely DE until later in developement.
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

Ooooh, right. So Epic cancelled its Warfare title and then got its hands a half-finished UC from DE to develop it into UT2003 later.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Ooooh, right. So Epic cancelled its Warfare title and then got its hands a half-finished UC from DE to develop it into UT2003 later.
Kind of, Warfare was still in developement by that point though. There's even a leak of a late unreal warfare demo out there but it's practically already gears of war and isn't that interesting anymore.

But ut2003 and championship were both DE thing, in case of ut2003 epic had more active involvement to begin with and epic was responsible for finishing that game up.

EDIT:
http://www.shacknews.com/article/11799/epics-unreal-warfare just some random news from ways ago, lol at Cliff's bare response.

Also:

However it was never call of duty-like game despite the looks or whatever that guy says. That's what everyone assumes. But try to play mobile force, even that doesn't play as slow as you'd imagine and that is less sci-fi than unreal warfare was.

EDIT2: This is the GDC video, this was still Unreal Warfare though this already changed from the earlier stuff that I personally think was better, but not yet GoW style...
Last edited by Leo T_C_K on Sun May 22, 2016 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

EDIT2: This is the GDC video, this was still Unreal Warfare though this already changed from the earlier stuff that I personally think was better, but not yet GoW style...
Ah, I remember seing this one and I searched for it for a long time, never able to get my hands back on it, thank you so much!

This one is fascinating because you can see that apart from the character, every single one of these assets was eventually packed with UT2003/2004, meshes, textures and sounds (and even the KnockHelmet scripted action). The most surprising in my opinion is UT2004's sniper rifle's scope!

That sheds a lof of new lights on things I was wondering about. Thanks a lot for that. :)

EDIT: looking at this video, it's clear that the colours are duller than the should be because the meshes are intact in UT200X with their textures and it doesn't look so grey and brown. This video already has the trademark GOW poop-filter all over it. However it's clear that there was a real tendency already towards these kind of colours and it's the exact same palette as in GOW, grey, brown, dull red and various shades of gritty metal. Retroactively, I'm terribly thankfull that instead of having to swallow this in 2002/2003, we got a few years worth of unapologetic colours and bright cartooney shades. Maybe this has to do with DE's work on DE? At any rate, I'm glad we had UC/UT2003 and their brother UT2004 with the tone mapping they had. Comparatively, they look so bright, joyful and fun. :)
Last edited by Hellkeeper on Sun May 22, 2016 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

That's what I'm sad about. I think to be honest that ut2004 took it too far with the cartoony wash out feel. And this was still more colorful than what gow turned out to be.
But yes those assets turned out in ut2003 bonuspacks and ut2004.
Last edited by Leo T_C_K on Sun May 22, 2016 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AlCapowned
OldUnreal Member

Post by AlCapowned »

This one is fascinating because you can see that apart from the character, every single one of these assets was eventually packed with UT2003/2004, meshes, textures and sounds (and even the KnockHelmet scripted action). The most surprising in my opinion is UT2004's sniper rifle's scope!
Incidentally, the soldier character model was included in one or two third party UE2 games for some reason.

[img][/img]
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Which one was it? So far I discovered upon reading comments etc that XIII has a unremoved title "Unreal Warfare" in it in a taskbar. It's be interesting to gather all this and try to find out which one of the engine versions can open the loose unreal warfare maps we got. Even thiough we will miss resources for sure..
Last edited by Leo T_C_K on Mon May 23, 2016 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
AlCapowned
OldUnreal Member

Post by AlCapowned »

Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow and Brothers in Arms. There might be more, just search for "warcoggrunt" on Google.

Edit: It might also be called testsoldier.psk.
Last edited by AlCapowned on Mon May 23, 2016 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Compared to wikipedia this is at least more accurate:
http://www.unrealtexture.com/Unreal/Downloads/3DEditing/UnrealEd/Tutorials/unrealwiki-offline/unreal-engine-versions.html

But it lists 500- as unrealengine 2, yet mobile forces is listed under unrealengine 1 and I confirmed myself it is build 500 something. (speaking of that I'm not sure where but I saw it somewhere in the files and no i'm not talking about the firstrun thing in ini as tht got overwrote by the patch)
gregaras.
OldUnreal Member

Post by gregaras. »

In interview one of Mobile Forces programmers told they used Unreal Engine version 436: https://web.archive.org/web/20020605041 ... ileforces/
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Well, I would have thought logging in here wouldn't work but what do I know...

That article simply means they started on version 436, I have (had) another article, a bigger one in a computer magazine where they said they used whatever was the first version of the engine that Epic implemented the hardware brushes/staticmeshes on and went on from there. Without mentioning the engine version number however I am positive that this is the case.

This might be a rare appearance from me here and maybe one of my only ones.

Warfare did start around that time after all Unreal 2 started on at least version 400 in the first place but went on..

Since the times I posted here there was a demo version of UEngine 2 Unreal Warfare recovered/posted btw.
gregaras.
OldUnreal Member

Post by gregaras. »

Leo T_C_K wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 5:25 pm That article simply means they started on version 436, I have (had) another article, a bigger one in a computer magazine where they said they used whatever was the first version of the engine that Epic implemented the hardware brushes/staticmeshes on and went on from there. Without mentioning the engine version number however I am positive that this is the case.
https://web.archive.org/web/20020613121 ... -Part2.mp3

Interviewer and Mobile Forces producer talk about the engine. So, I guess they started with Unreal engine 436 and later added parts of Unreal Warfare engine.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Producer is not a programmer, and he couldn't say everything. He does mention hybrid stuff but it was not this guy in the interview that I mentioned. He basically said it was a post-UT engine, I don't know why you keep saying 436, nobody mentioned 436 apart from the game starting on that engine. Starting doesn't mean they stopped at that. I think it stopped at 500 something and then they started adding more and more of their stuff. Similar story was with Unreal 2 except they had to keep upgrading the engine to be more like epic's and it actually hurt the game in the end. Because they had much cooler stuff going on before.

This producer was also thinking that they were using the terrain, but they did not, they used the static mesh as terrain, it does not have the terrain engine yet. It is before that happened. Anyone can check that and the interview I mentioned had that being said. There they admitted that they are not using the latest terrain system and are using static meshes because they didn't want to renew the license for the latest engine as this suited them enough.

Do you understand that?

This is something I at least know/have expertise about.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

I just re-read my original post. Six months. it happened again. When I was thrown out early in this year and things stored at faraway storage against my will and against prescribed rules. They said it will keep there for six months and each time I tried to recover it was being sabotaged by others including my family. The storage also included the aforementioned interview as all my magazines ended up there. Now its most likely destroyed or re-sold.

But its here again, six months...SIX SIX SIX

edit:

the code to the ramp is 666 but watch out for sandra's friend!

Call me Paul...BOB PAGE
gregaras.
OldUnreal Member

Post by gregaras. »

Leo T_C_K wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:52 pm This producer was also thinking that they were using the terrain, but they did not, they used the static mesh as terrain, it does not have the terrain engine yet. It is before that happened. Anyone can check that
I right click on terrain in the editor and it says static mesh.
Leo T_C_K wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:52 pm Producer is not a programmer, and he couldn't say everything. He does mention hybrid stuff but it was not this guy in the interview that I mentioned. He basically said it was a post-UT engine, I don't know why you keep saying 436, nobody mentioned 436 apart from the game starting on that engine. Starting doesn't mean they stopped at that. I think it stopped at 500 something and then they started adding more and more of their stuff. Similar story was with Unreal 2 except they had to keep upgrading the engine to be more like epic's and it actually hurt the game in the end. Because they had much cooler stuff going on before.
Leo T_C_K wrote: Mon May 23, 2016 4:23 am I confirmed myself it is build 500 something. (speaking of that I'm not sure where but I saw it somewhere in the files and no i'm not talking about the firstrun thing in ini as tht got overwrote by the patch)
There also are two demo versions of Mobile Forces.
https://archive.org/details/MobileForcesDemo

https://archive.org/download/MobileForc ... esdemo.exe - probably dating to 2002 02 27
https://archive.org/download/MobileForc ... .05.07.exe

The loading screen of early demo (first link) says version 226. When I hosted lan server, server browser showed version number 1226.
mf_226_version_loading.png
The loading screen of late demo (second link) says version 502. When I hosted lan server, server browser showed version number 10411.
mf_502_version_loading.png
When I hosted the lan server for full unpatched game server browser also said version 10411.

Also, in the second image you can see that it says "not compatible with demo version 228". Not sure If there is (or has been) a third demo version publicly available for download, probably they mistyped the number.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

They used internal numbering of their own later on, which is then confusing with epic's own. I didn't know about that early demo but that is possible. Its a mess when numbering restarts because of engine branch. In Epic's own line the numbering only reset with UE3. Like the "469" leak, sharing the same number as the fan ut patch now lol.
Akyra
OldUnreal Member

Post by Akyra »

In general, the following description applies to Unreal engine 1:

Rendering Technologies
3DFX Glide, S3 Metal, PowerVR SGL, Direct3D 5 (Build 216), Direct3D 6 (Build 218), Direct 3D 7 (Build 226), Direct3D 8 (Builds 500+) and OpenGL (Builds 209+), software rendering support
32-bit fully colored soft animated dynamic lighting
Multicolored lighting
with true colored intermixing of fuzzy shadows
Supports raytraced and enveloped lighting
Radial, cylindrical, spotlight, searchlight, ambient, spherical, shell, and 20+ special effect lights
Caustic effects such as "fire waver", "watery shimmer", and the like can be applied to lights
Supports lens flares and coronas
Extensible BSP and portal technology
Mirror surfaces
Semireflective materials, such as marble surfaces which partially reflect light
Non-euclidean, redirectable "warp" portal effects for seeing through teleporters
Seeing through windows into an infinite sky zone in which a sky, planets, mountains, and other objects are constructed
Skies and backgrounds with independent coordinate systems for independent translation and rotationz
Enhanced Quadtree/Octree support (Builds 400+)
Major enhancements to the rendering engine speed (Builds 400+)
Curved-surface rendering support
with an adaptive level-of-detail subdivision surface rendering algorithm
eliminating polygonization
32-bit colored 512x512 size texture support
Emboss bump mapping
Multi-texturing
Dynamic range scaled detail textures
Procedurally animated textures
ClipTexturing
Multiple channels of vertex animation support
Skeletal animation support (Builds 432+)
Smooth-skinned Geometry (Builds 500+)
Facial animation (Builds 500+)
With lipsync animation (Builds 533+)
Hardware brush with static meshes (Builds 500+)
Height-mapped filed terrain support (Builds 500+)
Decal support (Builds 300+)
Light bloom
Fog volume
Distance fog
Volumetric lighting
S3TC texture compression (Builds 400+)
High resolution texture 1024x1024 size support (Builds 400+)
Environment mapping support
Multy-skybox system
Very improved multi-skybox system (Builds 400+)
Complex particles system
Extensible particles system (Builds 400+)

Other Features
Fully digital audio based module sound system
Digital music, MP3, CD Audio, module music, s3m, etc support
Doppler shift
A3D support
Software 3D sound
Surround sound
Dynamic Music System
Improved support on A3D, EAX, DS3D (Builds 400+)
Newly highly enhancing A.I. algorithms and BOT A.I. and teamwork A.I. (Builds 400+)
Newly very improved network code (Builds 400+)
Real-time recording of in-engine footage as replayable 'demo' files
Enhanced demo reconding system (Builds 400+)
GUI editor
Imploved GUI editor (Builds 400+)
Native support for localization of text to 8-bit languages, via CODEPAGE 850 and replaceable fonts
Built-in UnrealScript and C++ support for externalization of all text, enabling non-programmer translation to all 8-bit languages

Version 500 added - Hardware brush with static meshes, Height-mapped filed terrain support.

In terms of engine history, we have the following versions available:

UE1.5:
Unreal Alpha v411
HP source v433
UT v436
MF v500
Unreal2 Alpha v697

UE2:
UTX v763
Thief 3 and Deus EX 2 v777
Unreal Tournament 2003 v906 prototype

I take engine resolution from a programming point of view. When the MF and Unreal Alpha 697 versions use Render.dll and run on the UE1 kernel. UTX v763 has already been redesigned the rendering engine under Engine.dll (but the material has not yet been redesigned and uses old textures) (UTX is a true hybrid between UE1 and UE2).

Epic, or the one who wrote the Resolution Engine, judged the transition from UE1 to UE2 according to the DirectX rendering used
MF uses DirectX7, according to the analysis of the file D3DDrv.dll it uses
Direct3DDevice7

Unreal2 Alpha v697
Direct3DDevice8

The v633 could be the first to use the DX8.

In my opinion, the first demonstration of Unreal warefare with a ninja doll was just on version v613 or v633 according to the date of the demonstration and will challenge the terrain.
Since they bought the v613 version from Epic for Duke Nukem Forever, Duke Nukem Forever is correctly designated as UE1. (sources say version 613 was purchased by several developers)
The developers simply took the Render.dll + Engine.dll kernel and programmed a new future.

version 613 is very valuable and that is why we are looking forward to the release of Duke Nukem Forever 2001.

These are all, but mere speculations. MF could be built on and on version 433 and supplemented with static mesh support from source v500, because it is stated above that the 500+ has DX8 support. It contains the same non-functional D3DDrv.dll for Detail Textures as the version for HP v433. Stupid error in D3DDrv.dll code that prevents us from using Detail Texture. I once fixed it for the HP v433 source. Unfortunately we don't have a header for MF to fix the error. I wrote Sebastian Kaufel but without result and even though I successfully created Engine.lib and Core.lib but D3DDrv.dll with error.

Return to “Mobile Forces”