For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Klingon Honor Guard UMX Project (De-CD-ification)

Please add information, maps, mods, links or anything else related to The Next Generation: Klingon Honor Guard here.
Lurker
OldUnreal Member

Re: Klingon Honor Guard UMX Project (De-CD-ification)

Post by Lurker »

By the way, there is a simple but effective trick to minimize the size of tracker files and umx music packages by 50 to 75%:

After you exported the raw WAVs from the CD, downsample them from 44100 to 22050 Hz and use mono instead of stereo channels.
And then use them as instruments in ModPlug Tracker.

The sound quality may suffer from it though. That's the only disadvantage.
Last edited by Lurker on Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MusicallyInspired
OldUnreal Member

Post by MusicallyInspired »

Yeah I'm aware of the process. The seond pack I uploaded was for UMX packed OGG files which only work with 227.

I'm not a fan of sacrificing quality as these tracks deserve to be heard in the best way possible. So no mono and no 22khz.
SC-55 Music Packs
Roland SC-55 Music Packs for old DOS games!
SireErec
OldUnreal Member

Post by SireErec »

So is this project still going if i may ask?

Cutscenes is one thing that can be workaround with an Image (maybe the game can be forced to look elsewhere as well, i dont know)

But the music is still one thing i miss in the game.
Kurn

Post by Kurn »

Cutscenes is one thing that can be workaround with an Image (maybe the game can be forced to look elsewhere as well, i dont know)

I play KHG on Win10 and WInXP with music. Before you start the game just right click on the mounted image of CD2, "Autoplay" and than play the music with windows media player in the background, while you start the game.
MusicallyInspired
OldUnreal Member

I have a pack which has all the game maps tweaked to play UMX files for music instead of CD tracks along with the corresponding UMX files (which are huge because they contain two mono full length WAV files for "instruments"). So the whole thing is over 200MB. I've been wary of distributing it because, well, it's the original maps...
Last edited by MusicallyInspired on Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SC-55 Music Packs
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

The maps are useless without the rest of the content, effectively still being DRM'd by owning the game. If you really are still wary, you could release everything as a differential binary patch. Though... i don't actually know any programs that do that other than maybe ppfomatic or some successor.
MusicallyInspired
OldUnreal Member

Alright here it is. There are two versions of the pack (both about 255 MB). Neither include the modified DLL file that removes the CD check as that is essentially a cracked file that bypasses copy protection and I definitely don't feel comfortable distributing that. There are instructions elsewhere online that explain how to do it yourself with your own copy, though. My version also disables the cutscene videos from playing as I have never been able to get them working on modern systems, but that's neither here nor there as that function is, again, not included here.

1) This is the simple pack that comes with UMX files made straight from the CD tracks without any alterations. The altered MAP files included merely redirect from CD tracks to the included UMX files:

KHG_cd-less_patch.7z (255 MB)

2) This is an alternate (and unfinished/imperfect) pack with seamlessly looping UMX files carefully edited from the original CD tracks. Also, the fast-paced orchestral portions from the beginning of each track have been separated from the more subdued suspenseful electronic music portions at the end of each track. The included MAP files feature more advanced changes that trigger dynamic music changes depending on what areas you enter.

It works pretty well but it's not perfect. For the first couple levels the map designs are more linear and so it was easier to make changes based on your progression for which music tracks to play. Some of the later maps are more open and feature entrances and exits everywhere in a non-linear fashion such as sewers/surfaces or inside space stations/outside in space sections where it's more difficult to predict player movement. But it's an interesting experiment at any rate and offers a bit more of an immersive experience:

KHG_umxloop_altpack.7z - (254 MB)

One issue with these packs that I haven't rectified is that there is no longer any victory music when you beat a level and see the level stats. I think the game is hardcoded to stop whatever music is playing and play a certain CD track so even if I alter the map to play the victory music at the appropriate time the game would still stop it and try to play a CD track. I'm not 100% positive about this as it's been a while but since it's probably a simple enough thing to change in the map to switch music tracks I can only assume I gave up because of this limiting factor.
Last edited by MusicallyInspired on Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
SC-55 Music Packs
KongoOtto

Post by KongoOtto »

First of all thanks to MusicallyInspired for his effort to make this Project.

I'm not sure how this project should be installed. I only copied/overwrite the content of Music and Maps folders into the game main folder.

But i still hear no music. Neither with khg_cd-less_patch or khg_umxloop_altpack files.

BTW i get this game running on Windows 10 with 1.1 Patch and copied the *.avi files onto the hardrive.

Did i miss something?
Amran
OldUnreal Member

Post by Amran »

I'm not sure how this project should be installed. I only copied/overwrite the content of Music and Maps folders into the game main folder.

But i still hear no music. Neither with khg_cd-less_patch or khg_umxloop_altpack files.
It may be that the digital music option is disabled.

Go to the Advanced Options (found in the Options menu), then expand Audio and set UseDigitalMusic to True.
KongoOtto

Post by KongoOtto »

It may be that the digital music option is disabled.

Go to the Advanced Options (found in the Options menu), then expand Audio and set UseDigitalMusic to True.
Thanks.

I also figured that out a few days ago.

UseCDMusic=False
UseDigitalMusic=True

Does any one have found a solution for the lack of video playback between the Missions ?

MusicallyInspired
OldUnreal Member

Unfortunately, no. I've not been able to get the videos working for decades on modern systems.

Also, I removed the download links because my DropBox was getting full with files for another project I needed. I'll find a new home for them and post new links here.
Last edited by MusicallyInspired on Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SC-55 Music Packs
MusicallyInspired
OldUnreal Member

New links. Remember, open the game and go to Advanced Options->Audio and set "UseDigitalMusic" to "True" or it won't work.

[url=http://brandonblume.com/_otherm/khg_cd-less_patch.7z]khg_cd-less_patch[/url] 255 MB (direct CD audio rips)

[url=http://brandonblume.com/_otherm/khg_umxloop_altpack.7z]khg_umxloop_altpack[/url] 254 MB (dynamically-placed seamless looping tracks)

[url=http://brandonblume.com/_otherm/khg_cd-less_patch(ogg).7z]khg_cd-less_patch (OGG compressed)[/url] 39 MB (direct CD audio rips) *Requires v227

[url=http://brandonblume.com/_otherm/khg_umxloop_altpack(ogg).7z]khg_umxloop_altpack (OGG compressed)[/url] 45.2 MB (dynamically-placed seamless looping tracks) *Requires v227
Last edited by MusicallyInspired on Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
SC-55 Music Packs

Return to “The Next Generation: Klingon Honor Guard”