For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Klingon Honor Guard

Please add information, maps, mods, links or anything else related to The Next Generation: Klingon Honor Guard here.
ShinDarkfox
OldUnreal Member

Klingon Honor Guard

Post by ShinDarkfox »

Do not know if correct forum but I have managed to port most of the content to 227 in working form a while back. I could get it to work for Unreal Gold as well with some tweaks. Some items are still placeholders though since UnrealIPlayer doesn't support them (will code some simple hacks).

What does work is all weapons, some items, player classes (with weapon triangles), all deathmatch maps and some enemies.

What holds me back from release is a few glaring glitches and wanting to send things non-supported functions to Unreal playerpawns (blinding flash for example) to an external control (info attachment?).

Glitches are that enemies for whatever reason are mostly mute despite how I try to force sounds. Really odd that. And of course the bots don't aim right at all shooting out their backs and such with the weapons and both players and bots will shoot at awkward angles up close. Bots do work with the DM maps though.

Oh and at least one death frame of KlingonMale gets deformed. Its a sad result of the process of getting Klingons.u to work with umodel.

Lastly, I dunno if it would be allowable given it is essentially porting another game to Unreal so throwing it here first.

Other things working on is DeusEx, XCom Enforcer, and Unreal 2.
Last edited by ShinDarkfox on Wed May 08, 2013 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
スマイル・ドラゴン
OldUnreal Member

Re: Klingon Honor Guard

Post by スマイル・ドラゴン »

Did KHG do anything fancy with Unreal Engine natively? Or is it just the usual mostly UnrealScript coded licensed game?
“I am the dragon without a name.”
Ðàrk-_¦_-Ñïght.: / κυνικός Δράκων / スマイル・ドラゴン / Draco Nihil
ShinDarkfox
OldUnreal Member

Post by ShinDarkfox »

Not really, it uses what Unreal had from the box at the time so to speak. So yeah, UScript. This was Unreal version 61 I believe. Real old. So old code had been refined a bit since then and I think some needed updating to work on current versions.

I'm thinking that the weird behavior of the weapons and bots using them is part of it. The sound problem though... still baffling. Only present on Scripted Pawns.
Last edited by ShinDarkfox on Wed May 08, 2013 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Turboman.
OldUnreal Member

Post by Turboman. »

Interesting, i'd love to test this out sometime, KhG is a fun game that doesn't really run well on modern systems due to the crappy renderers, so i'd LOVE to see a proper port to a modern engine!

I know that MOST KhG content runs in 220, you can even summon Klingon items and pawns in 220.

I've extracted the meshes before without problems, maybe I have a proper klingonmale mesh for you, I can send it to you if you want.
Last edited by Turboman. on Wed May 08, 2013 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BobIsUnreal
OldUnreal Member

Post by BobIsUnreal »

i already ripped alot of the xcom stuff ,
The  decoratins , most of the monsters( sans proper projectiles)
and imported all of the maps into unreal 225 , althought there just the maps with decorations  , not pawn / enforcer placments.  so dont go nuts with that.

i think i tried to rip the honer gaurd stuff never got futher then a few maps imported tho , ran into the issue that noting would export them iirc, what did you do to allow them to be exported?
Last edited by BobIsUnreal on Wed May 08, 2013 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShinDarkfox
OldUnreal Member

Post by ShinDarkfox »

To IsUnreal: Stripped the Klingons.u file of all class information and loaded into... I BELIEVE Unreal version 220, added a dummy class to the package and saved.

Eh... you know what? Feeling like I'll release this in its incomplete state anyways because I remembered you actually NEED KHG assets (texture packages and such) to get it to work. They don't need conversion, just put them in Textures and such respectively. You'll be able to play all KHG Deathmatch levels after that.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/5qmc05

Tools used were UE Viewer, UnrealFX, a text editor, and Unreal itself for package conversion.

If somebody can help with the bots with weapons, weird aiming at point blank, and scripted pawns being silent, I'd appreciate it. There is one other issue I can think of that may take some hackery and that is with the boulders. May have to do something hacksy there because that is a problem in getting singleplayer to work.

I believe there is no reason I can't 100% the thing and make KHG work in complete form within Unreal Gold/227.

And Turboman, if you can that'd be appreciated. It doesn't affect gameplay but it is kinda glaring. If any other meshes are messed up I'll ask for them if you don't mind. :)
Last edited by ShinDarkfox on Wed May 08, 2013 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Turboman.
OldUnreal Member

Post by Turboman. »

great work! I quickly tried it and i'm quite impressed! Aside from the minor bugs which shouldn't be too hard to fix this has potential to become something very interesting.

I hope you plan on converting the regular game content as well, it would be great to be able to run klingon honor guard on a modern working engine (with coop :D )

ps: I'll have A look at the meshes somewhere this weekend.
Last edited by Turboman. on Thu May 09, 2013 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShinDarkfox
OldUnreal Member

Post by ShinDarkfox »

great work! I quickly tried it and i'm quite impressed! Aside from the minor bugs which shouldn't be too hard to fix this has potential to become something very interesting.
Thank you! I do need help with a few of those bugs though. I can fix much of these things to make it so they work for all classes but odd things like the weapon aiming for bots and the weird shooting off into space at point blank. I'm also pretty bugged by the soundless enemies. What the heck? I checked to see if maybe PlaySound got somehow overwritten somewhere in the KlingonPawns bit but no...

I hope you plan on converting the regular game content as well, it would be great to be able to run klingon honor guard on a modern working engine (with coop :D )
Ultimately my goal is that! 100% port of Klingons.u. I've gotten some singleplayer to work but not all. Some decorations share names with UnrealShare/UnrealI classes and will need some way to get around it... may even have to hack the map files if all else fails to get proper behavior.

And yes, co-op is excellent. :)

ps: I'll have A look at the meshes somewhere this weekend.
Alright, thanks. :)
Last edited by ShinDarkfox on Fri May 10, 2013 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
BobIsUnreal
OldUnreal Member

Post by BobIsUnreal »

hey can you reupload this , i swear i downloaded it but cant find it , and i would like to add it to my server now that i am using 227
William(Rainman)
OldUnreal Member

Post by William(Rainman) »

Never played it hope it's good I'm a big Trekkie.
MusicallyInspired
OldUnreal Member

Post by MusicallyInspired »

I'm quite interested in this as well. Does anybody still have it?
SC-55 Music Packs
Roland SC-55 Music Packs for old DOS games!
ShinDarkfox
OldUnreal Member

Post by ShinDarkfox »

Still alive but no progress on the glitches and I don't plan to push forward until somebody can find where the glitches are coming from. I have looked in many places of the code to find them so it is either really small or in multiple parts.

Glitches:

1) Aiming with ranged Klingon weapons is wonky, at close range shooting in all sorts of crazy angles, bots using weapons cannot aim well at all.

2) Sound on KlingonPawns, they go mute a lot of the time without any real indication as to why. I've gone through the states, poked at the sound play settings, ran logs to see if particular code is called, apparently they should but I'm getting nothing. Can somebody please, PLEASE, make this tired old glitch die? It is by far the most annoying thus far because it makes no sense at all.

Anyways, here's the reupload:

http://tempsend.com/F65C226A29
Last edited by ShinDarkfox on Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
medor
OldUnreal Member

Post by medor »

Can't find file for package 'KlingonSFX01'
UTfiles http://medor.no-ip.org/
ShinDarkfox
OldUnreal Member

Post by ShinDarkfox »

Well, you'll need the Klingon Honor Guard assets transferred to the MAPS, TEXTURES, and so forth main folders for them to work.

I don't provide them as they are part of the original KHG installation. I'm mostly providing an updated Klingons.u that works with 227. That is the aim of the mod anyways. Once the bugs are fixed if anybody can find out why they are behaving so, I'll probably finish this.

All multiplayer maps should work.
Last edited by ShinDarkfox on Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
medor
OldUnreal Member

Post by medor »

Where can i found original KHG installation ?
UTfiles http://medor.no-ip.org/
ShinDarkfox
OldUnreal Member

Post by ShinDarkfox »

You just need to get the original Klingon Honor Guard game. It is technically abandonware if that helps any.
Last edited by ShinDarkfox on Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amaroq Clearwater
OldUnreal Member

Post by Amaroq Clearwater »

Where can i found original KHG installation ?
I was about to ask the same question. Due to my limited (nonexistent) funding, even if I was able to find a copy of the game on eBay or Amazon I couldn't get it.
Read the bio for my fursona here:
*OUTDATED LINK, WILL BE REPLACED SOON*

---

"Daddy, I had a nightmare."
"What is it, darling?"
"The next Unreal won't have Deck16..."
"That&
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

Amazon.com lists [url= 15 units[/url]. I'm sure medor can get his own copy for a couple of bucks.
You must construct additional pylons.
Amaroq Clearwater
OldUnreal Member

...why on Earth is this rated E?

---

"What is it, darling?"
"That&
ShinDarkfox
OldUnreal Member

Post by ShinDarkfox »

...why on Earth is this rated E?
Good question, because its ESRB rating is actually Mature.

But hm... tough topic with this game... technically there are no true official retailer left. What you buy is not new copies but either used and repacked boxes or something similar (note, "similar") to bootlegging where they print out the boxart and such.

So, I just say, obtain it how you feel more comfortable with, but know that MicroProse no longer receive any revenue from the sales. Kinda sad, really. The licenses too have long expired... 10 or so years ago.

Though if you are a collector, like me... used is as good as any.

Edit: $108.86 for Star Trek: Klingon... what?

Edit 2: Want to note that I'm not inspiring people to do warez or not do warez, my position is neutral. But you can obtain this game through legit abandonware sources. I just won't provide links, sorry.
Last edited by ShinDarkfox on Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amaroq Clearwater
OldUnreal Member

The same year they made KHG, MicroProse also made the first MechCommander and MechWarrior 3, and their related expansions.

---

"What is it, darling?"
"That&
ShinDarkfox
OldUnreal Member

Post by ShinDarkfox »

The same year they made KHG, MicroProse also made the first MechCommander and MechWarrior 3, and their related expansions.

Reminds me that they released the source code for MechCommander 2 in 2006. This was likely due to the license reaching expiration (only 2 more years) without plans for renewal or the fact FASA, the developer, was preparing to close down which they did a year later in 2007.

You have no idea how sad I was when FASA fell.
Last edited by ShinDarkfox on Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amaroq Clearwater
OldUnreal Member

Yeah. Harmony Gold ignored their end of the agreement with FASA and Tatsunoko, and claimed the rights to the mech designs that were legally owned by FASA. Because Harmony Gold had more money, and because Microsoft didn't feel like backing FASA up, the plug was ultimately pulled.

Since that happened, I stopped watching Robotech, and made a Mechwarrior shrine in my room.

---

"What is it, darling?"
"That&
ShinDarkfox
OldUnreal Member

Post by ShinDarkfox »

Harmony Gold is a shambling ghost in denial of its own departure from the mortal coil.

But anyways, if any of you can find out why the sounds aren't playing (well, they will only play at times from certain damagetypes, but this... just shouldn't happen) and weapon aiming is coming out wonky I'd be very appreciative!

Also, since there are some overlapping actors I will probably provide a few edited maps in the future to fix singleplayer.
Last edited by ShinDarkfox on Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Amaroq Clearwater
OldUnreal Member

While you are at it, MusicallyInspired has been working on De-CDifying KHG's soundtrack. Maybe you could ask him to provide some Oggs you could use.

---

"What is it, darling?"
"That&

Return to “The Next Generation: Klingon Honor Guard”