For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Windows 10 and DirectPlay

Hardware & Driver related problems
Dr.Flay™
OldUnreal Member

Windows 10 and DirectPlay

Post by Dr.Flay™ »

After installing the missing DirectX files for earlier versions from the Micro$oft site
https://www.microsoft.com/download/details.aspx?id=8109
you should re-enable DirectPlay.

Since Windows 10 the old DirectPlay API has been depreciated and disabled.
To re-enable it, open "Programs and Features" in the Control Panel, and then click on "Turn Windows features on or off".
Now look in the "Legacy Components" section and you will find the option for DirectPlay.
Smirftsch
Administrator

Re: Windows 10 and DirectPlay

Post by Smirftsch »

I made the experience that it is even installed automatically when requested- never bothered to check the mechanism behind though. When installing Heroes III it asked for it here.
Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
Hyper
OldUnreal Member

Post by Hyper »

I'm getting a bit tired of Microsoft (and others) implementing new features to remove them later on.
I indeed had to manually add these on Windows 10 for Heroes III network play. It's the only PC game I ever played with my dad and we still do this from time to time.

Yet another point in which Windows 10 falls short of Windows 7. #Never10
Last edited by Hyper on Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
The man who stopped a tsunami

http://www.hypercoop.tk
unreal://hypercoop.tk
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

After using Win10 for quite some time and still have to use it to some degree for business I moved on to switch entirely to Debian Linux on all machines. It's way faster, it's not spying on me, does nothing without being asked and doesn't do blocking updates every time you absolutely don't need it (which even may fail then).
There have been times Linux was complicated and everything but comfortable, these times are past, nowadays I'm feeling slowed down in my workflow by whatever Win 10 does in background and not to speak about 1000 things it wants to do which I don't need or want. Even if I leave out the privacy protection questions completely the Linux system wins. When it comes to play games, for Unreal there is the native port and many older Windows games are running better using things like wine and "PlayOnLinux" than in native Win10. Additionally Steam has wine already integrated for a lot of games so they run "Out of the box" directly.
In short- for my needs: bye bye windows.
Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
TONI-M
OldUnreal Member

Post by TONI-M »

Some time ago, did I open a post, double start or rather everything on its own? and again how to get the old games working again. Win10, if the hardware is not perfectly compatible are pains it is serious ones ... one day if someone is interested we can talk about it ... only the professional version can disable the update, but not from visible options. I will now give the options:

I've been setting up and setting up PCs for games for 20 years.
Configuro e monto...
Ciao a tutti... Ciao caro amico Smirftsch
dustinechoes849
OldUnreal Member

Post by dustinechoes849 »

what does enabling this do? unreal works fine on my windows 10 machine without it

Return to “Hardware & Drivers”