For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

direct input [mouse]

Hardware & Driver related problems
kaostiee

direct input [mouse]

Post by kaostiee »

Hello!
This is my first post on this forum, and i would like 2 say hi 2 every1 ;)
Ive got problem with aiming in unreal gold 226. Bcoz iam ut player i used to play with direct mouse input but in unreal gold it dont work and i dunno why? :( if some1 can help me plz post!

ps. sorry for my english ;)
Smirftsch
Administrator

Re: direct input [mouse]

Post by Smirftsch »

what do you mean with it doesnt work ? What exactly doesnt work ?
Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
kaostiee

Post by kaostiee »

well i attach direct input option in preferences > input, but it just dont work - my mouse feel like without direct input and when i run game again the direct input option isnt attachd =/
in ut [451b] i dont have such problem
TCP_Wolf
Administrator

Post by TCP_Wolf »

I noticed that too but what difference does it make if you can play?
-=]HONESTY PAYS[=-
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

anyway, will have a look, can't be that much
kaostiee

Post by kaostiee »

I noticed that too but what difference does it make if you can play?
i feel wired and i cant aim as good as i can with di ;)
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

there is no chance that it would work with ugold, it was never implemented. Legend just forgot (again) to remove this option, its the same as with decals which are not implemented as well. Thx for this hint, i think i can build it in.
XenophobicSkaarj
OldUnreal Member

Post by XenophobicSkaarj »

Sorry to revive a slightly older post, but I got an issue with DirectInput on Unreal 1 as well (got 227i, vanilla, non-gold) I've played this game for like more then 10 years without any knowledge of DirectInput's existence, playing on like sensibility 3 without mouse smoothing all this time, I recently discovered it in the Advanced Options, turned it on and immediately loved it! :D

But found a problem a few days ago, I often play with music or check on my admin/summon commands on a notepad so I minimize my window many many times to check on things with Ctrl-ESC (since Alt-Tab doesn't work for U1 it seems). If I lower the window on fullscreen at least 3 times or click outside the Unreal 1 window if not on fullscreen 3 times, the game will display the mouse cursor when in-game or in the menu until I close the game completely, it's extremely annoying overall and it only happens if I turn on DirectInput.

I tried the rawHIDinput, had no problems of that kind with it but didn't like it as much since its a bit more laggy for me. I really need to know If it's solvable by any means.

FYI: I'm using Win XP SP3, my desktop mouse doesn't have the "Enhance Pointer Precision" checked
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

2016-2006=10
XenophobicSkaarj
OldUnreal Member

2016-2006=10
Yeah I started playing Unreal 1 at around that time, can't remember when exactly (around 2004-2006) but I wasn't in High School yet (or "Secondary School" in Canada)...strange to think I never discovered DirectInput until a few days ago, was it integrated into Unreal after a few patches or was it here all along?

For now I'm using rawHIDInput since it's slightly better then normal, but still inferior to Directinput...
Last edited by XenophobicSkaarj on Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

Despite DirectInput is deprecated and not recommended to be used anymore by Microsoft and lack support in Windows 7 and newer, seen from a technical point of view, DirectInput is way inferior to RawHID, but that's the problem with the "feel" of such things, it's not always matching technical aspects.
I personally never liked DirectInput, perhaps because it was never really clean from mouse acceleration in Windows (if not using special hacks or registry settings and such at least).

You can try additionally to set the Mouse Smoothing to false, which also has an direct impact on all this.
XenophobicSkaarj
OldUnreal Member

Despite DirectInput is deprecated and not recommended to be used anymore by Microsoft and lack support in Windows 7 and newer, seen from a technical point of view, DirectInput is way inferior to RawHID, but that's the problem with the "feel" of such things, it's not always matching technical aspects.
I personally never liked DirectInput, perhaps because it was never really clean from mouse acceleration in Windows (if not using special hacks or registry settings and such at least).

You can try additionally to set the Mouse Smoothing to false, which also has an direct impact on all this.
What a shame :-[, thanks for the info though.

But since I've activated RawHID, I'm now starting to get used to it, so that's a plus I guess...I've never really used DirectInput much, since newer games don't have this option anyways, even for Win XP. (Though I know I'm using it for UT99 and games of the early 2000s since it works fine on them for most of the time, that's pretty much it)

Oh yeah and I've never liked Mouse Smoothing so it was set to false all along, it's pretty awful to use overall.

Return to “Hardware & Drivers”