For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Unreal runs very slow when turning on decals

Hardware & Driver related problems
gregaras.
OldUnreal Member

Unreal runs very slow when turning on decals

Post by gregaras. »

Hey, there.

I have a strange problem with game Unreal. When I try to play it with Decal, it starts to lag (10-60 fps very big balance :/ ). When I turn it off, everything gets normal (60 fps). Why?

Computer specs:

Laptop Asus K52F
3GB of RAM
Intel 1GB
Intel i3 2,27 GHz
0,5 TB of disk space

Don't you thing, that my computer should run Unreal very smoothly "as a silk"?
GreatEmerald
OldUnreal Member

Re: Unreal runs very slow when turning on decals

Post by GreatEmerald »

Laptops are generally not optimised for games. What graphics card does it have, anyway? I know that my old laptop had an integrated card that didn't even support Hardware Transform and Lighting, so if your one is also missing some extensions, then this might be the cause. Though Unreal is generally more CPU-intensive.
Also, which renderer are you using?
gregaras.
OldUnreal Member

Post by gregaras. »

I don't exactly know about my GPU. I think it's integrated in computer's processor. I try to look to SpeedFan, Speecy I can't find how exactly it calls.

I use OpenGL renderer.
Last edited by gregaras. on Tue May 17, 2011 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GreatEmerald
OldUnreal Member

Post by GreatEmerald »

Go to Start -> Run, enter "dxdiag", go to the Display tab. If it says something about Intel, then it's an integrated Intel one which is of pretty low power. You might want to update your drivers, though - Intel has a special tool to detect your system information on their website.

Try switching to D3D8 or D3D9 and see if that helps any. Would be ideal if you could switch to software and test it that way, but I'm pretty sure decals don't work there to begin with.
KeeperUTX
OldUnreal Member

Post by KeeperUTX »

I play U1 on a laptop (aka Lappy-Crappy) and the details are AS LOW AS POSSIBLE and on netgames it lags like /()/&#!
Azhir uval nutarus. Azhir mudas ethanul. Dalektharu il dask daku. Riftuuz e thara samanar utamus. Elas umanes azarathan rakas ibna.
gregaras.
OldUnreal Member

Post by gregaras. »

You might want to update your drivers, though - Intel has a special tool to detect your system information on their website.
I got a really bad problem after the update: http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/164341-intel-hd-graphics-update-install-crashed-computer.html

:'(
GreatEmerald
OldUnreal Member

Post by GreatEmerald »

Huh, that's odd. It would normally indicate that you installed the wrong driver version, which makes no sense... But if you have access to safe mode, then you can just install the right drivers manually or, if you happen to have the CD with the drivers, from there. If you can't do either of those, you should still be able to uninstall the driver itself and use the default framebuffer device.

Also, Blue Screens of Death are important, they contain information about what file is causing the system to crash! You should always take the time and write down the technical things there.
gregaras.
OldUnreal Member

BSoD doesn't show anymore after booting in LKGC

Post by gregaras. »

Huh, I can't remember... I used "Last Known Good Configuration" and everything worked quite normal (just couldn't play games, huh...) and I've got one table like this: (In Lithuanian, huh...)
Problemos parašas:
  Problemos [ch303]vykio pavadinimas: (the name of problem incident) BlueScreen
  OS versija: (OS version) 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.48
  Vietos lokal[ch279]: (locale place) 1063

Papildoma informacija apie problem[ch261]: (Other information about the problem)
  BCCode: 7f
  BCP1: 00000000
  BCP2: 00000000
  BCP3: 00000000
  BCP4: 00000000
  OS Version: 6_1_7600
  Service Pack: 0_0
  Product: 256_1

Failai, kurie padeda apib[ch363]dinti problem[ch261]: (files, which help describing the problem)
  C:\Windows\Minidump\052011-49249-01.dmp
  C:\Users\Inga\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-66518-0.sysdata.xml

Skaitykite m[ch363]s[ch371] privatumo patvirtinim[ch261] internete: (read our privacy agreement in the internet)
  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0427

Jei privatumo patvirtinimas tinkle neprieinamas, skaitykite m[ch363]s[ch371] privatumo patvirtinim[ch261] neprisijung[ch281]: (if privacy agreement isn't reachable in network, read our privacy agreement offline)
  C:\Windows\system32\lt-LT\erofflps.txt
The user of Windows 7 Forums, told me to use Windows 7 Repair disk to repair the system. I'll do it today, If I'll have some time...
Last edited by gregaras. on Sat May 21, 2011 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

yes, the repair function works pretty well in Windows7. Always worth the try :)
Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
GreatEmerald
OldUnreal Member

Post by GreatEmerald »

By the way, if you were using Linux, in a case like that you'd just get booted out of the X Window System and could repair the system manually from the command line :)
gregaras.
OldUnreal Member

Post by gregaras. »

yes, the repair function works pretty well in Windows7. Always worth the try
I tried it today, but It was just wasting of the time...
By the way, if you were using Linux, in a case like that you'd just get booted out of the X Window System and could repair the system manually from the command line

The main OS of my computer was Linux, but in the first day, I had the laptop, mum went to repairman, to install programs and drivers, and he changed OS to Windows 7. I don't have Linux anymore.

Well, I've got my problem fixed. But Decals still don't work properly...
GreatEmerald
OldUnreal Member

Post by GreatEmerald »

So, it lags in D3D8 and D3D9 as well?
gregaras.
OldUnreal Member

Post by gregaras. »

Sorry for a long delay. 

D3D8 - possible to play, maxed settings, detail textures doesn't work, decals work, Realtime shadows work. (30 fps, without shadows - 60 fps)

D3D9 - more lag than in D3D8, maxed settings, detail textures work, decals work, realtime shadows work. (30 fps)
Last edited by gregaras. on Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

What map are you running ? Maybe that map also happens to put some strain on some particular things.
You must construct additional pylons.
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

This is probably (yet another) problem with realtime shadows being set to high/extreme
gregaras.
OldUnreal Member

Post by gregaras. »

What map are you running ? Maybe that map also happens to put some strain on some particular things.
I run DMAriza map. I tried other maps, but the same problem happens. Well, my video card driver is VERY outdated, I should try to put some time on updating of it...
This is probably (yet another) problem with realtime shadows being set to high/extreme
Oh, I tried set shadows on high and got 60 fps and when I set ultra, I got 30 fps.

GreatEmerald
OldUnreal Member

Post by GreatEmerald »

Yeap, that setting is a performance killer. Literally.
gregaras.
OldUnreal Member

Post by gregaras. »

Yeap, that setting is a performance killer. Literally.
Lol.

Return to “Hardware & Drivers”