For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Confusing trouble with serial ATA drives

Hardware & Driver related problems
Rarsonic
OldUnreal Member

Confusing trouble with serial ATA drives

Post by Rarsonic »

An acquaintance of mine has bought a 500 GB SATA drive. He has got already a 200 GB one, and two IDE HDDs. The problem is that the 500 GB drive doesn't want to work.

The motherboard is an [url= http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=65HeDI8XM1u6Uy6o]ASUS K8V SE Deluxe[/url]. For example, when we connect only the 200 GB drive, it works fine. When we connect both, neither of those work. When we only connect the 500 GB drive, it doesn't work either.

Can anybody give me a clue?
Last edited by Rarsonic on Tue May 05, 2009 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<><>Gibberish
[§Ŕ] ŤhěxĐâŕkśîđěŕ
OldUnreal Member

Re: Confusing trouble with serial ATA drives

Post by [§Ŕ] ŤhěxĐâŕkśîđěŕ »

One thing: it's not a very good idea to have that much HDD connected to your PC, except if it's not absolutely necessary (does DVD-RW even fit the motherboard?), second, if it's an old motherboard and it doesn't support SATA2, and your 500GB HDD is SATA2, there's the problem. Also, did you try messing with BIOS? Maybe something is disabled, try to mess around with it a bit.
Rarsonic
OldUnreal Member

Post by Rarsonic »

Nevermind, I've figured out the problem. It was indeed that the motherboard isn't SATA2 compatible, so I had to put a jumper in the drive in order to downgrade it to SATA1. Thank you anyway! ;)
<><>Gibberish
[§Ŕ] ŤhěxĐâŕkśîđěŕ
OldUnreal Member

Post by [§Ŕ] ŤhěxĐâŕkśîđěŕ »

Don't mention it. :P BTW, I wasn't sure that SATA2 HDDs work on motherboards with SATA1... Thanks for that, I'll try to do the same thing on my old PC. :)

Return to “Hardware & Drivers”