For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

GeForce FX 5200 - can't run UT with 32-bit colors

Hardware & Driver related problems
Stephen Hawking

GeForce FX 5200 - can't run UT with 32-bit colors

Post by Stephen Hawking »

Hello!

I currently have nvidia driver version 84.21 installed. And I can only run UT with 32-bit color depth in "out of the box" installation (if no game patches whatsoever are installed). As soon as I patch the game (say with version 436, for example), 32-bit colors freeze up the screen, even mouse barely responds. I've tried many things, reinstalling the game, various display drivers, game patches, disabling D3D precaching with no results.

Is the only way going back to my prehistoric nvidia driver that came on the cd bundled with my video card? Hell if I remember the version number or have the cd anywhere around :(

Anyone ever had this problem?

Thank you very much in advance for any help,
SH

Last edited by Stephen Hawking on Fri May 30, 2008 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stephen Hawking

Re: GeForce FX 5200 - can't run UT with 32-bit colors

Post by Stephen Hawking »

Well, I reinstalled my old drivers (version 43.45 from year 2003) and UT works fine again. Oh well, I guess no new video drivers for me, if I want to play UT. I wonder what causes this problem though, and if it can be resolved in some other way.
Last edited by Stephen Hawking on Fri May 30, 2008 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SweMonkey
OldUnreal Member

Post by SweMonkey »

i have geforce fx 5200 and i use the newest drivers (175.16) and everything works good for me
DieHard SCWS
Global Moderator

Post by DieHard SCWS »

Did you also installed the latest drivers for OpenGL, D3D8 and/or D3D9 for UT. Dunno but it might make a difference. You can find instructions and downloads for all renderers on this page:

Did you also installed the latest drivers for OpenGL, D3D8 and/or D3D9 for UT. Dunno but it might make a difference. You can find instructions and downloads for all renderers on this page:

http://www.unrealtexture.com/UT/Website/Articles/PlayingUT/Tweaking/S3TCInstallationUT/S3TCInstallationUT.htm

You dont need to install the S3TC texture if you dont want to, but you could of course. I always advise to get your game running properly before you install the S3TC textures.
Last edited by DieHard SCWS on Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Hardware & Drivers”