For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

[HP1] Unofficial Widescreen Patch

This Board features Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (UE1), Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (UE1) and Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (UE2).
djbff
OldUnreal Member

[HP1] Unofficial Widescreen Patch

Post by djbff »

Hi everyone,

So I had a bit of free time on my hands this past week, and wanted to take a crack at putting together a widescreen patch for this game since han has been kind enough to put together all the tools needed to export the source code and resources from the game's .u files.

It's a bit rough at the moment, because the menu layout code is written in an odd way that draws everything at 640x480 and then scales up, and running at higher resolutions exposes a lot of poor text layout coding (i.e. text being significantly mis-aligned) that wasn't as apparent at low resolutions, but it does work and let you enjoy the game properly on modern computers.

Screenshots:

Options Menu:

In-game wizard card menu:

In-game (this looks the same without the patch, but menu cropping more-or-less forced you to play in 4:3):

Known Bugs:
  • On screens with a 16:9 resolution, if you move the cursor all the way to the right of the screen, you'll get a flickering ghost of the cursor in the farthest-right column of pixels. I have tried various different things to fix this, but it seems that the only thing that could actually fix it would be to rewrite a large chunk of the menu layout code, which I don't think is worth the time investment.
  • If you switch aspect ratios in-game (e.g switch from 1280x800 to 1024x768), you'll need to restart the game for menus to not be mis-aligned.
  • Widescreen resolutions are not yet shown in the in-game options menu, so you'll need to set your resolution manually in your HP.ini file as described here: https://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Harry_Pot ... %27s_Stone. You'll also probably want to change your FOV to fit your new resolution in the game's User.ini file, under Engine.PlayerPawn (about 100 for 16:10, about 106 for 16:9).
  • Lots of text is mis-aligned at higher resolutions. This is a bug in the original game and not the patch itself, but it's something I hope to eventually fix the worst of.
How To Install:

First, install han's update HP.exe from the topmost "Precompiled Binaries" download in this thread: [url]http://www.oldunreal.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1445541914[/url]. It fixes a lot of the weird glitches that the game has on newer systems, like the drawing the shapes of spells to learn them being horrendously broken, and dialogue getting cut off because the game is running too fast.

Next, download the widescreen fix here: [url]http://www.mediafire.com/file/xa5b5pkib5koc91/HP1%20Widescreen%20Fix.zip[/url], and copy the two .u files in the System folder to the game's System folder. On a default install of the game, this should be at C:\Program Files\EA Games\Harry Potter\System\. You should probably also make a backup of the original HPMenu.u and HPBase.u files first, in case my fix accidentally breaks some part of the game I haven't tested yet.

Finally, edit the game's HP.ini and User.ini files in your user's Documents\Harry Potter folder to indicate your chosen resolution and FOV, and launch the game. Yay, it (hopefully) works!

I haven't tested this extensively so there are probably several things that still need fixing, so let me know and I'll try to fix them as best I can (if anyone has a copy of the Unreal Engine 1 unrealscript documentation please let me know, that would help my efforts massively). Also, I've tracked all the changes I made to the source files with Git, so I can send that to anyone who wants to see what I actually changed (I'd put it up on GitHub, but I'm not sure how EA would feel about that).

Anyway, enjoy, and let me know how it works! :)
Timofey_Rusanov

Re: [HP1] Unofficial Widescreen Patch

Post by Timofey_Rusanov »

Regardless of the dampness of the patch, he was completely satisfied with me, that I even decided to go through the game this year, only I had to play with the English text, because all Russian-language characters are erased in the Russian version. For this need, you just have to deal with the version from 1C-SoftClub or give me your source code to add support for the Cyrillic alphabet.

P.S; Sorry for my bad translating in english language.
Last edited by Timofey_Rusanov on Tue May 14, 2019 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raf
OldUnreal Member

Post by Raf »

This is awesome, thanks. Now it remains only to fix the mouse.

Here is a fix for the Russian version of 1C SoftClub. There was been a problem with the encodings.
Last edited by Raf on Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
XMadManJazzaX

Post by XMadManJazzaX »

Hi, I'm receiving this critical error after launching the game with your provided files, just wondering what it is exactly and if it can be fixed??
Last edited by XMadManJazzaX on Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
han
Global Moderator

Post by han »

This unknown opcode error looks more like sth. such as hp2 files in hp1 or vice versa to me?
HX on Mod DB. Revision on Steam. Löffels on Patreon.
George

Post by George »

Is there any chance you'd be willing to share the sources for this? I'm applying this on the US version, and there are too many differences, up to references to completely different files. It would really help if you would share only the .uc files you edited, or at least your original HPBase.u and HPMenu.u.
Raf
OldUnreal Member

Post by Raf »

XMadManJazzaX, Try replacing only HPMenu.u.

George, Links are not extracted correctly, they had to be fix manually. Here are all the differences:
HPBase -
HPMenu -
Sources can be extracted with using UCC (HarryPotterPubSrc11_Binaries_20170323.zip) and HTK. Command for extract "ucc fullbatchexport HPMenu.u ..\HPMenu".

I checked the mod in the English and Russian versions, everything works great.

Also, appeared a strafing and fix mouse mod, it can be downloaded here and widescren mod fix for using with this mod (unpack after unpacking both mods).
Last edited by Raf on Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
XMadManJazzaX

Post by XMadManJazzaX »

Hey Raf, thanks for the response. I've got a new error message though when only replacing the HPMenu.u file:

Raf
OldUnreal Member

Post by Raf »

XMadManJazzaX, I have no errors. It seems you have a DPI scaling? Try disabling it for the game (replace hpbase & hpmenu again). Also put a low resolution, try other cd images of Harry Potter.

mod edit (han):
Please don't post download links there.
Last edited by Raf on Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
George

Post by George »

George, Links are not extracted correctly, they had to be fix manually. Here are all the differences:
HPBase -
HPMenu -
Sources can be extracted with using UCC (HarryPotterPubSrc11_Binaries_20170323.zip) and HTK. Command for extract "ucc fullbatchexport HPMenu.u ..\HPMenu".

I checked the mod in the English and Russian versions, everything works great.
Functionally, I didn't encounter any issues, everything SEEMS to work. However I extracted the .u files with WOTGreal, and found references to non-existent files in scripts, while the very same scripts from the vanilla HPBase/HPMenu (extracted with WOTGreal as well) refer to different files. If it's program extracting the links incorrectly, wouldn't you end up with the same links, if extracted by the same program? Anyway, thanks for the diffs, I'll mess around with those, I also try extracting with UCC.
Also, appeared a strafing and fix mouse mod, it can be downloaded here and widescren mod fix for using with this mod (unpack after unpacking both mods).
Strafing everywhere? Yes! Thank you. I'll definitely check this out.

P.S. It seems like the forum does not notify you about replies, even though I checked the option.
Jaxon

Post by Jaxon »

I'm getting the exact same error as XMadManJazzaX was, and this is on a clean install from disc. All I've done is extract the EXE from the link and the two files from the widescreen mod.
Last edited by Jaxon on Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Raf
OldUnreal Member

Post by Raf »

I'm getting the exact same error as XMadManJazzaX was, and this is on a clean install from disc. All I've done is extract the EXE from the link and the two files from the widescreen mod.
There is also a mod that move menu buttons. Have you tried other versions? A clean english cd image from the internet? It definitely works with it, if you unpack everything correctly.
Last edited by Raf on Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raf
OldUnreal Member

Post by Raf »

Widescreen fix by AdamJD for strafing mod "Mar 8th, 2020"
(Latest mod fix some problems in gameplay)
Captain Teo

Post by Captain Teo »

There is also a mod that move menu buttons. Have you tried other versions? A clean english cd image from the internet? It definitely works with it, if you unpack everything correctly.
Same problem for me, too, unfortunately. Completely clean English CD install and image. I've tried every combination of files (keeping a backup of the original copy to be sure that I cleaned it properly afterwards) - I can run the game with or without the precompiled binaries and any combination of files from the updated binaries zip, but, as soon as I put your HPBase.u and HPMenu.u into the System folder, I start getting that "HPMenu.FEOptionsPage.IsSupportedResolution" code 47 error, no matter whether the precompiled binaries are installed or not, even if I set the resolution to a default 4:3 resolution.

I'm sure that you did a fine job with the patch, and this is even the suggested fix on PCGamingWiki, so I can't fathom why this would be happening. I'm definitely following the installation instructions.
Last edited by Captain Teo on Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
xslayerx

Post by xslayerx »

Same problem for me, too, unfortunately. Completely clean English CD install and image. I've tried every combination of files (keeping a backup of the original copy to be sure that I cleaned it properly afterwards) - I can run the game with or without the precompiled binaries and any combination of files from the updated binaries zip, but, as soon as I put your HPBase.u and HPMenu.u into the System folder, I start getting that "HPMenu.FEOptionsPage.IsSupportedResolution" code 47 error, no matter whether the precompiled binaries are installed or not, even if I set the resolution to a default 4:3 resolution.

I'm sure that you did a fine job with the patch, and this is even the suggested fix on PCGamingWiki, so I can't fathom why this would be happening. I'm definitely following the installation instructions.
I came accross this thread while searching the issue on Google but i've fixed it myself so thought i would register to this site just to be able to help a few people ;D

I basically downloaded Sorcerer's Stone version instead of Philospher's Stone. I guess the replacement files contain some words that mention Sorcerer's Stone? I don't know but it would be cool if the modders released a seperate version that support Philosopher's Stone instead. I tried really hard to get it to work on the Philosopher's Stone since that name is the original and makes way more sense, unfortunately i will have to cringe when i hear Sorcerer's Stone in the game but oh well.
raitongg

Post by raitongg »

Hello everyone, i've been trying for days to make the game widescreen and menu usable.

as soon as I drop the widescreen mod and launch the game I get this error

I really want to experience this game again but on the widescreen monitor.

ps. i have the philosopher's stone and really don't want to try the sorcerer's stone because you know.. BAH haha
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
raitongg

Post by raitongg »

raitongg wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:14 pm Hello everyone, i've been trying for days to make the game widescreen and menu usable.

ps. i have the philosopher's stone and really don't want to try the sorcerer's stone because you know.. BAH haha
UPDATE: I've now used the mod that transfers the menu to the above part and can play!
there's however a terrible problem.... I can't access the options, wizard cards menus because they stay above proportion. any fix?
Air12567

Post by Air12567 »

raitongg wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:14 pm Hello everyone, i've been trying for days to make the game widescreen and menu usable.

This is the same as I'm getting :( It works fine until I add in the widescreen files.
j7n
OldUnreal Member

Post by j7n »

The widescreen and strafing mods work when starting a new game. Loading old games crashes.

Is it within the scope and affected files, or other existing mods to remove the splash screens for EA and Warner Bros, and make the dialogs skippable if we have heard them already? How about inverting the mouse axis for normal camera control? I end up looking at the sky or the floor most of the time.

The OpenGL renderer in the recompiled code works much better, thank you.
Sergey
OldUnreal Member

Post by Sergey »

Precompiled Binaries not supported for playing in a foreign language
it's too bad...

Return to “Harry Potter Series”