For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Really very dark

Please add information, maps, mods, links or anything else related to DS9: The Fallen
CleverCaviar
OldUnreal Member

Really very dark

Post by CleverCaviar »

Hi

After some finagling, I got DS9:Fallen running on Windows10 64bit. Not sure what the magic was exactly, but a combination of installing it to various places and seeing what didn't trip it up did the trick.

However, now it's working it's really dark. I remember this from games back in the day, like, the gamma was lower by default in games than your desktop.

I'm using OpenGL. D3D is iffy, and Glide via a wrapper seems to baulk at various resolutions.

Any tips on how to fix gamma in these old Unreal games? Modifying the brightness slot in the config ini seems to do naught.
Dr.Flay™
OldUnreal Member

Re: Really very dark

Post by Dr.Flay™ »

Windows 10 does not have full backwards DirectX support.
You need to install the final DirectX 9 distro and use a new renderer that is closer to your GFX age.
The original D3D is for DX5-7 and the GL renderer was not finished.

DirectX End-User Runtimes (June 2010) http://www.microsoft.com/download/details.aspx?id=8109 (95.6 MB)

Note: You may need to reinstall the Windows drivers for your card after updating DirectX

I have no idea if the new UT99 renderers will work, but perhaps they are worth trying.
Turboman.
OldUnreal Member

Post by Turboman. »

I know many of these old u-engine games have broken brightness controls. I don't know of a way to fix it in-game, but i usually solve it by external tools such as gamma helper which comes with zeckensacks glide wrapper.
CleverCaviar
OldUnreal Member

Post by CleverCaviar »

I know many of these old u-engine games have broken brightness controls. I don't know of a way to fix it in-game, but i usually solve it by external tools such as gamma helper which comes with zeckensacks glide wrapper.
Hi, and sorry for the delay, Despite me ticking the box to be notified of thread updates, I receive nothing. Need to look into that. Yes, a gamma tweaker type thingy was what I ended up doing.

edit: typo
Last edited by CleverCaviar on Mon May 02, 2016 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Deep Space Nine: The Fallen”