For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

WWF/E match of the years 1997-2011, and 2020.

This section is intended for non-Unreal posts. Forum rules apply.
wfank30
OldUnreal Member

WWF/E match of the years 1997-2011, and 2020.

Post by wfank30 »

Well this is an offtopic board.... and I doubt there are many wrestling fans, but I was a huge fan of the thing, so just liek I shared a few posts about my favorite Unrelated moments (like a map by map analysis, weapons ranking, unreal theories, things you may not know yet, etc....) I am gonna share some of the best matches I have seen over the years. But I will warn you, if you were not a WWE fan before, don't start watching it now as post 2008 WWE is ABSOLUTE TRASH. It was adult rated 1997-2008 but since 2008 its been slapped with a TV-PG rating and is childish and goofy now (back in 2001 if I remember right I recall Vince, the owner spanking a female wrestler Trish with a belt and forcing her to bark like a dog or in 2006 when a wrester Edge speared Mick Foley through a flaming table, but from all those they went to having muppets on wrestling shows in 2011 and now they even stop matches for blood, they even shift to black and white). Another thing i know its staged, but its not fake, they are entertainers like movie stars, except they are actors doing their own stunts without stuntmen, the main reason is to keep up "storylines", heroes vs villians so that fans keep engaged and don't lose interest like they did with Boxing (the heaveyweight division at least is dead since Tyson'ts prime days ended). One of my child hood fav Owen Hart actually died in the ring in 1999, all thsoe dives from the laddr, steel cages and all are legitimate, they did those stuffs to entertain us, keeping their bodies on the line, just the results were predetermined to keep up "storylines". Although its mostly garbage post 2008, they occassionally do some cool matches now, but I don't watch much after 2010 anymore, just on special occassions like WrestleMania (the biggest even of Wrestling, considered the Superbowl of wretsling). In 2020 after years of garbage, in the mids of Corona pandemic they made some changes and those produced some great stuffs not seen in ages. Also one year may have a lot of great matches which are better than the match of the year in another year, (like 1999's 2nd best match is Rock vs Foley I Quit match, much better than HBK vs Y2J the match of the year 2003), but only one match per year, the match of the year even if it is inferior to many matches of another year. Anyway heres my list, based on my personal experience:

-1997: Bret Hart vs Stone Cold Steve Austin, Submission match, WrestleMania 13 (no I didn't see it live, I started watching from SummerSlam 1997, but yes I did see a VHS tape of the show, and it was absolutely brutal, Hart came as a hero while Austin a rebellious villain, a the end Hart was the villain and Austin the hero, "arguably" kick starter of the famous Attitude Era, the match was brutal and raised the bar for wrestling. At that time WWF was competing against WCW losing ratings, but soon after Ausin reached stardom and it was WCW that died, WWF's best years were ahead and this match was cruical, iconic, and thanks to Ken Shamrocks for his part as special guest referee, arguably the greatest and most important match in wrestling history).

-1998: The Undertaker vs Mankind (Mick Foley), Hell in a Cell (HIAC) match, King of The Rings (hardcore wrestling is a lost art, today in kid friendly WWE, HIAC exists in name only, but back then it was the height of brutality, two of the most dangerous spots ever in wrestlin history when Undertaker threw Foley from the top of the cell, and when the cell broke while the two were brawling on top. Near the end Foley was legitimately knocked unconscious when Taker hit his finisher the Tombstone Piledriver, he did regain is consciousness but had a concussion and his arms were filled with thumbtacks. If anything in wrestling came close to be TOTALLY REAL, its this match and I had the opportunity to watch live. This match like the was also revolutionary and caused a series of implementation of wrestler's safety guidlines, othing in this match would be allowed today... tho HHH vs Foley 2 years later did feature some of the spots but those were planned and safely executed unlike the legendary 1998 Taker vs Foley match).

-1999: The Hardy Boyz vs Edge and Christian, Ladder match, No Mercy, unlike the previous two classics this wasn't taht revolutionary (HBK vs Hall WM 10 ladder match revolutionized the ladder match, but that was in 1994, 3 years before I started watching in 1997. But this was no doubt the best ladder match since that legendary classic, and the best "regular" tag team ladder match ever. It might not have been as revolutionary as match of the year 1997 and 1998, but in tehrms of match quality it was perfection, amazing spots all the brutal spots, those big dives and everything, 1999 had a series of awesome matches, including the iconic Rock vs Foley match that I regret not including as I can choose just one from every year, but however this overshadows everything and is superior to the vast majority of the match of the years that are to follow. Infact I would say it may be the best match in the entire list, and would definitely be "revolutionary" had it taken place before the 1997, 1998 matches, as quality-wise "in my opinion" this is far superior).

-2000: Triple H vs Mick Foley, Street Fight match, Royal Rumble, This match was awesome, epic, brutal, anyway you describe it, another Attitude Era cassic at the height of the now lost art of hardcore wrestling. It was wild brawling, vicious bloodbath. They did it again in a HIAC match at the next pay per view, No Mercy, which had its own merit, but the Royal Rumble match stands out as the superior match. Foley is a hardcore legend, famed for having some of the most brutal matches ever in WWF?E history, risking his life mutiple times just to entertain the fans, and this was one of his classics, arguabally the 2nd best Foley match ever after the 1998 HIAC match. Maybe someday hardcore wrestling mght regain its lost glory..... but one thing for sure there will never be another Mick Foley who now retired in 2013.

-2001: The Hardy Boyz vs Edge and Christian vs The Dudley Boyz, Tables, Ladders and Chairs (TLC) match, WrestleMania 17, WrestleMania 17 is widely regarded as the greatest WWF/E show of all times, headlined by the two most iconic wrestlers EVER, the Rock and Stone Cold. And their main event that closed the show delivered, indeed one of the all time great matches just ruined at the end (giving details will requre a lengthy piece of history so am avodiing)...... But even if it wasn't ruined at the end it would not have been the best match of the night, as that match went to The Hardy Boyz and Edge and Christian like in 1999 but this time inmcluding another iconic tag team The Dudley Boyz, and besides ladder chairs and tables were icnluded, Hardy's specializing in ladder, Edge and Christian on chairs and dudleys on tables. This match was filled with daredevil stunts and was even more awesome than the No Mercy 1999 laddr match and the first TLC macth from SummerSlam 2000. Edge's mid air spear to Jeff Hardy was arguabally the msot dangerous daredevil spot in wrestling history. For me out of all the matches in the list, this was the greatest, the first TLC macth in SummerSlam 2000 was great but it was the 2nd one, this WrestleMania 17 match that tuly revolutioized TLC matches, and HIAC and TLC matches are the two most popular gimmick matches ever in wrestling. The fact taht this was the match of the night of the greatest show ever in wrestling history (and wrestling dates back longer than the creation of WWE itself back in 1963), tells all you need to know. This match is everything we love about wrestling and would make anyone a fan.

-2002: Triple H (HHH) vs Shawn Micaels (HBK) vs Rob Van Dam vs Kane vs Booker T vs Chris Jericho (Y2J), Elimination Chambers (EC) match, Survivor Series. After the HIAC and TLC match, EC is the third most popular gimmick match in WWE. And nothing comes near the original. Six of the greatest athletes of the time at it for 30 minutes, with amazing spots they perfectly utilized the cage, brawling, highflying, this match had it all. HHH and HBK were already veterans with a list of classics , while RVD, Kane, Booker and Y2J would stand as the breakouts (they already made a name for themselves, but this is where they displayed their potentail with their amazing skills that now rivaled the likes of veterans HHH and HBK. Just one word to describe it: Outstanding. This is yeat another match that would make anyone a wrestling fan. This was also probabally the last time hardcore wrestling was allowed to utilize its true potential. EC matches have remained as great since but non can reach the height of the original one.

Those were pretty long, but no worries, the next ones with a few exception would not have such lengthy notes as no matches after 2002 were as iconinc as those six matches above, "with a few exception".

-2003: Shawn Michales vs Chris Jericho, WrestleMania 19, This year I did not enjoy much, the year was mainly about Kurt Angle and Brock Lesnar, who were excellent athlets but I was never invested in either of them. Hardcore werstling started to fade and be treated as a joke, regular standard matches started to get more priority. HBK and Y2j did better than anything Angle and Lesnar did the whole year (espceially Lesnar's botched shooting star press at the same event).

-2004: Triple H vs Chris Benoit vs Shawn Michales, WrestleMania 20. Best triple threat match ever, but I lost all respect for Benoit who at that time truely had HUGE potentials but after his henious crime... nvm.

-2005: Triple H vs Batista, Hell in a Cell match, Vengeance, this was the last TRUE brutal HIAC match that had everything we want in them. Steel steps, chains, use of the cells and so many other brutal stuffs. The Taker vs HHH match at WM 28 didnt have half the warfare that that match had, but is remembered more only for the star power. but those that watched for long know how awesome this match was, literal warfare with HHH and Bantista destroying each other, HHH looked like a movie villain with his bloody face about to use his last breath while being taken down using the sledgehammer but Batista’s ferocious Batista Bomb triumphed.

-2006: John Cena vs Rob Van Dam, Extreme Rules match, One Night Stand. Yes people hate Cena for becomin the biggest spotlight hogger in history, I myself am not a fan, and he is the reason some of my closest friends stopped wtaching wrestling. But there is no denying he had some of the greatest matches in WWE's product quality wise worst days, he was one of the few who were given the opportuinity to "go extreme". Also this match the crowd was crazy, there were threats of riots if Cena would win. RVD thriumped after wuild brawling that had at this point become a raarity in the dying days of hardcore wrestling. Regardless this match was AMAZING!

-2007: John Cena vs Shawn Michaels, Raw, April 23, the duo had an amazing encounter at WrestleMania 23 (a passing of the torch moment). But that is nowhere near close to the hour long (55 minutes) rematch they gave in free TV. It was true Icon vs icon and a surprising feel good victory of the veteran Shawn Michaels. Love Cena or hate him, he had doubtlessly some of the best matches ever. This match could have infact been one of the all time greatests had it not been for commercials, a disadvantage of free TC matches.

-2008: Shawn Michales vs Ric Flair, WrestleMania 24, this was Flair's emotional retirement match. Flair is an all time great, and I have seen tapings of his classics with NWA and WCW in the 1980s (before I was born). Unfortunatley Falir would later throw away the meaning of this emotional match and continue to wrestle some garbages in a place called TNA. Regardless this match had the emotions and Flair gave it all despite being near 80 at that time, and HBK being arguabally the greatest technical wrestler ever, (in case you don't know he is Mr. WrestleMania, known to have the greatest matches at WWE's nigegst event of the year aswella s great matches in any show he wrestled to be honest), They gave us an all time classic, where no crazy weapons or anything was needed, just classic technical wrestling.

2009: John Cena vs Randy Orton, 60 Minutes, Anything Goes, Ironman match, Bragging Rights, I take back what i said before, despite going PG in 2008, WWE did have some amazing stuffs in 2009, it was in 2010 the pg garbage completely took effect. The year had some amazing rivalries and matches between Undertaker/Michaels, Punk/Hardy, cena/Orton and others. Now everyone cites the WrestleMania 25 match between Taker and HBK as the match of the year, I too would have, had it not been for their amazing rematch a year later. So I choose this match. For one night WWE allowed their two biggest stars of the new age Cena and Orton to go extreme. Iron ma matches happed before, the WrestleMania 12 ironman match between Bret Hart and Shawn michaels in 1996 the year before I started watching is cited as the greatest of them all. But after that most were ruined by crazy stuffs, the Rock vs HHH match in 2000 was great until the end, the Lesnar-Angle one on SmackDown in 2003 was killed by commercials being on free tv. But despite the critizcized pg age, this match surprisingly exceeded all expectations, even brke the limits off pg whenCena's face bladed and Orton even tried to blow up and electrocute Cena at one point. Even tho "Super Cena triumphed in the end" , the match was fantastic!

-2010: The Undertaker vs Shawn Michaels, Streak vs Career match, WrestleMania 26. This was HBK's emotioanl retirement match much like Flair's in WrestleMania 24, and once again he stole the show. Taker and HBK the two most seenior wrestlers at that point already had a classic on the previous year's WrestleMania 26, and they were allowed to go at it again, as HBK would chose non other than Taker for his final match. it had its own amazing spots like HBK's mooassult from teh ring post all the way to the announcer table. This match completely delivered and was a fitting end to HBK's outstanding career and my time as a passionate wrestling fan ended after it.

-2011: John Cena vs CM Punk, Money in the Bank 2011, Although I no longer was passionate about the thing anymore, and WWE became more and more childish, this single match stood out as arguabally the match of the decade 2010s, and really is one of the best matches I ever seen since I started watching in 1997. Perhaps the last really great match. The two threw it all, Cena defied the haters, Punk proved to the supporters, throwing the best they ahd at each other putting on the most classic match in the modern age. Cena and Punk proved why they were the top most stars in the WWE in the modern age, and they outperformed the likes of HBK and the Hart brothers

Now after 2011, 2012-2019 was complete garbage, I became isolated from wrestling and only watched during WrestleMania season, and nothing impressed me anymmore. Also in 2011 one of my last remaining favorites Edge retired.... but jsut like me restarteing to play Unreal again in 2021 for the first time since quitting it in 2013, that is 7/8 years as they say, "you never know, so never say never, anything can happen".... Eitherways 2012-2019 was TRASH.

In 2020 WWE

I heard that edge atcually returned at the Royal Rumble 2020 and started watching at a regular basis. Veteran Undertaker (longest employeed wrestler ever in WWE since 1990) retired after one of the most unique and enjoyable wrestling matches in recen times, a "boneyard match" with a guy whom I knew in TNA (and was by far the best wrestler at that company) but was now apparenty in WWE, AJ Styles. I watched WretsleMania 36 and the Boneywrd match between Undertaker and Styles really impressed me, also Taker ditched his deadman gimmick and returned to the biker gimmick for his final match, something he didn't use since since 2003. Goodbye legend. This could have been the match of the year had it not been for:

-2020: Edge vs Rnady Oton, Backlash 2020, this match was billed as "the greatest wrestling match", though that is not the case, certainly it was the best wrestling match ever since 2011 and no doubt the match of the year. Edge on his first singles match since his return after 9 years had a disappointing boring match with Orton at WrestleMania 36. But this was his redemption. The Edge vs Orton Backlash 2020 match was just amazing, they went toe to toe with amazing stunts for 40 minutes. They used a lot of classic moves that didn't belong to them like rock bottom (The Rock's), pedigree (Triple H's), etc, and did all sort of cool stunts that reminded me why i once was a huge fan of wrestling. This match really was one of the greatest match ever, something unexpected in this politically corrected age. The match ended with Orton's brutal running punt move that was banned back in 2011 due to pg ratings. It was fantastic. Indeed the match of the year and the best match since 2011.

So thats that. I just shared my experience with WWE as I do with Unreal on thos off topic board. But i wouldnt recomment anyone to watch WWE if you ahven't as the edge-Orton 2020 match was a sole exception, other than that WWE is still crap, and nothing after 2011 (except the Edge-Orton Backlash 2020 match) is worth watching at all! Anyway I know its too long, and most would likely Tl,Dr, and I doubt there are any wretsling fans at all. Just flt like sharing, and if you read, hope you enjoy. Bye now!
Neon_Knight
OldUnreal Member

Re: WWF/E match of the years 1997-2011, and 2020.

Post by Neon_Knight »

You could open a general wrestling thread, lol!

Today's Royal Rumble day, but ever since Summerslam 2019 I stopped following wrestling as a whole, I even missed AEW Dynamite and all of AEW's PPVs ever since All Out.
wfank30
OldUnreal Member

Re: WWF/E match of the years 1997-2011, and 2020.

Post by wfank30 »

Neon_Knight wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:46 pm You could open a general wrestling thread, lol!

Today's Royal Rumble day, but ever since Summerslam 2019 I stopped following wrestling as a whole, I even missed AEW Dynamite and all of AEW's PPVs ever since All Out.

They don't broadcast AEW where I am from yet... sadly. But looking forward to it soon. The only thing good about post 2011 WWE was NXT but now they are ruining that too.

Return to “Anything else ?”