For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Screenshots for FUN!

This section is intended for non-Unreal posts. Forum rules apply.
Krull0r
Global Moderator

Re: Screenshots for FUN!

Post by Krull0r »

Without Zone Ambient:

With Zone Ambient:

With Zone Ambient & Ambient Occlusion Map:

I think might have slightly too much ZoneAmbient there and the AO map might be a bit to aggressive though.
ABSOLUT GEIL!
han
Global Moderator

Post by han »

TOTAL HORNY!
Done a bit of prototyping about what to do with AmbientGlow=255. Rough idea is to make that some (bright!) overlay effect based on curvature and how much it's facing towards the camera (up some powers). And later have post processing glare soften/spread it.

Ugly demo based on a bad hack to get some of the areas with high curvature on that mesh (and obviously without glare).
[img]http://coding.hanfling.de/AmbientGlow255Proto.png[/img]

I think for it to be resonable working, one would need either curvature maps or maps derived from curvature maps. This in turn would need resonable uv mapping without dublicated parts, which probably isn't going to happen for original resources.

For our Nerf project we are probably going to throw out the AmbientGlow=255 handling in medium term, at least it looks like it's going into that direction, but I haven't yet fully given up for doing sth. with the stock Unreal resources, where I think that AmbientGlow=255 for pickups is a crucial part.
Last edited by han on Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
HX on Mod DB. Revision on Steam. Löffels on Patreon.
Rocky
OldUnreal Member

Post by Rocky »

Was recently giving a test to UT3 weapons for 227. No custom projectiles or effects so far, just weapons coded.

EvilGrins
OldUnreal Member

Post by EvilGrins »

I haven't been playing so much anymore, so I'm clearing out my remaining screenshots... until I eventually make some more.

8 shots to each UT community I'm a member of.

New Gaming strategy: Hug everything!
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

is that reskinned american flag redeemer only a reskin or does it do something diferent?
EvilGrins
OldUnreal Member

Post by EvilGrins »

is that reskinned american flag redeemer only a reskin or does it do something diferent?
That is the Deemer Fireworks. It fires a slow moving projectile, that plays 2 American Standards of music, and fires off several morters in multiple directions... each exploding in a colorful redeemer blast:
[img]http://ic.pics.livejournal.com/evilgrins/3189901/2851763/2851763_original.png[/img]

[img]http://ic.pics.livejournal.com/evilgrins/3189901/3037702/3037702_original.png[/img]
It is, by far, my fave redeemer!
(although the music does get on one's nerves after awhile)
Last edited by EvilGrins on Sun May 20, 2018 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

Super cool!
tightus
OldUnreal Member

Post by tightus »

Awesome stuff
han
Global Moderator

Post by han »

I'm not sure which way around it is better to explain, but let me try it kinda historically:

The starting point is in particular the set of NYC Street maps in Deus Ex, where color quantization artifacts of the LightMap shine through. It's a first a bit hard to spot, but it has these varying greenish, bluish or reddish tints pop up everywhere.

However, without diffuse texture, it quickly gets very obvious:

The main issue is that LightMaps are essentially handled at 7 bit/color for each channel. Using some BGRA8 format, where the top bit of each component gets ignored and, for LightMaps (but not FogMaps) the alpha channel will not get used. So in the end this leaves just 21 of 32 bits per pixel actually used for the data itsself.

However, there have been 10 bits per channel RGB formats around since OpenGL 1.2 (GL_UNSIGNED_INT_2_10_10_10_REV "RGBA" and GL_UNSIGNED_INT_10_10_10_2 "ABGR") which offer 10 instead of 8 bits in each of the RGB channels.

Now I simply tried this format as a substitute for the BGRA8 based format, giving me an effective 9 bits/channel compared to just 7 bits/channel.

The results are actually quite an improvement:

But I still have the impression that this doesn't yet fully solve the issue, I still see banding/quantization issues in the image. Part of those may be just to missing output dithering and/or plain (poor) texture filtering and internally before outputting the final LightMap some internal calculates could be made at a higher precission.

However, the improvement shown in the screenshots comes for free! It costs no extra performance, as this is a 90's texture format supported everywhere, which takes the same memory footprint, and any change to performance sensitive parts are literally just a changed bitmasks, which comes at no performance penalty!
Last edited by han on Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Krull0r
Global Moderator

Post by Krull0r »

Really really nice! Any chances to get this improvement into unreal 227? :P
han
Global Moderator

Post by han »

Really really nice! Any chances to get this improvement into unreal 227?  :P
[07:50] Smirftsch: fett
[07:51] Smirftsch: würd gerne direkt dran gehen, macht laune, aber zuviel zu tun...mal schauen was vom tag über bleibt
Krull0r
Global Moderator

Post by Krull0r »

[07:50] Smirftsch: fett
[07:51] Smirftsch: würd gerne direkt dran gehen, macht laune, aber zuviel zu tun...mal schauen was vom tag über bleibt
[/quote]

Good good ( sends Smirftsch time )
EvilGrins
OldUnreal Member

Post by EvilGrins »

It takes awhile...

...but it can be beat!
han
Global Moderator

Post by han »

Small preview, I'm planing a blog post discussing the technique in detail.

Original (SoftDrv-like rendering):

Surface Lighting goes up to 2.0 (in ~scRGB) [ignoring detail/macrotextures]

Now as this encompasses a larger than sRGB gamut, it needs to be gamut mapped to sRGB for display (or output to a HDR display.. would be at least kinda cool to see).

Typical techniques either just clamp or focus on preserving chrominance (mostly by further compressing luminance), while this technique literally just reproduces the same relative luminance (if possible) by saturation towards white (distributing otherwise clamped luminance into the other channels). I'm pretty sure I'm not the first doing that, but I couldn't find a paper or sth. on a quick search.

Fully preserved lumiance (if possible):

I think in that form it may be a little too much, as it also reduces chrominance.

However, it is also possible to ramp the added luminance:
Unramped: https://coding.hanfling.de/Lava2_RLPC_Unramped.PNG
Ramped: https://coding.hanfling.de/Lava2_RLPC_Q ... Ramped.PNG

But the ramping approach seems a little off, as it introduces an abritrary parameter, and basically blends between clamping and luminance preservation, while the clamping is one of the worst choices. A more balanced approach would probably be to try some chrominance matching for those cases.

However, after all it's non linear rendering, and the original textures are in a quite poor state from a colormanagement standpoint, so it's hard to predict how that all would turn out. Still looking forward to also color manage texture after beeing able to affort a calibrated display.

Another interessting thought I had, was that one issue I had in the Nerf 300 project when transitioning/translating to linear rendering, that images ended up looking quite boring lighting wise, so this technique may actually be quite helpful to address this issue.

Also I think this technique should also work with gamut mapping negative color values.

Another thing worth to investigate how it would look trying to preserve luma in the gamma compressed domain. The shots above were done using linear relative luminance. So this may just be just the right kind of incorrect....
Last edited by han on Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
han
Global Moderator

Post by han »

Turns out there wasn't just 6 bits wasted on LightMaps for surfaces, but also another 4 on FogMaps...
Last edited by han on Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
han
Global Moderator

Post by han »

Running some tests on Translucent | Fog.
han
Global Moderator

Post by han »

I started to mess with despatializing light source when close to a surface, as noticable in Ruins, where this one red light looks in particular wrong. But the reasoning behind it is, more that light sources tend to be extended, not just point sized, and that their size should correlate with the LightRadius property. This is also reflected by the fact that the distance attentuation doesn't skyrocket when close to surface. Actually originally it dipped down, when distance is below LightRadius in UU, but this can be fixed (see new post in gamma handling thread).

Original:

Despatialized:

However this also makes unlucky placement of Lights more pronounced.

Original:

Despatialized:

Code: Select all

// Lambertian diffuse (not really, because non linear, but...).
FLOAT Diffuse = (N|L)/LSize;

//
// Despatialize diffuse.
//
// |L| Fully despatialized.
// |L|>R/10 -> Fully spatialized.
// otherwise          -> Cubic Hermite interpolation.
//

Despatialization = 1.0f-FSmoothstep( LSize, R/25.0f, R/10.0f );

Diffuse = (1.0f-Despatialization)*Diffuse + (Despatialization)*1.0f;
L is the Vector from surface point to light source.
N is the surface normal.

The cubic hermite should intially be some linear ramp, but I made a mistake when calculating the ramp equation, and I ended up beeing lazy for testing. I certainly do want to try somewhat different approach for despatialization, and see how it looks. At the same time I am also kinda forced to do it, as I want decouple mesh lighting from rendering the Actor. But the way I want to do this precludes beeing able to exclude an Actor from lighting himself. And if I don't despatialize in this case, self lit meshes from within would probably look super borked, as one encounters lots of "backvertices".
Last edited by han on Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
EvilGrins
OldUnreal Member

Post by EvilGrins »

[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

almost looks like that velociraptor is flying with that firing effect under their feet in last pic
EvilGrins
OldUnreal Member

Post by EvilGrins »

almost looks like that velociraptor is flying with that firing effect under their feet in last pic
They do jump rather stiffly.

Moving right along...

han
Global Moderator

Post by han »

I started to implemented twosided lighting, basically have a lightmap for each side of a surface, for better support of twosided sheets/surfs.

Another (important) change I made, was to start to add an angular dependency to LE_Cylinder (and LE_NonIncidence), so it would look resonable instead of awful on meshes, and also remove lighting from the back.

Some more interessting side effect that this (old)...

...now looks like this:

I always assumed these were unlit surfaces...
Last edited by han on Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Krull0r
Global Moderator

Post by Krull0r »

AWESOME!! Yea some of the masked textures are too bright! It's a very good improvement!
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

Great news! This is an infmaous and infuriating quirks of sheets, not having to work around it would be a relief!
You must construct additional pylons.
SkaarjRPG
OldUnreal Member

Post by SkaarjRPG »

GZDooM

Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

On still pictures, it just looks like Unreal in software rendering.
Last edited by Hellkeeper on Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You must construct additional pylons.

Return to “Anything else ?”