For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Chinese game developers

This section is intended for non-Unreal posts. Forum rules apply.
luke11685
OldUnreal Member

Chinese game developers

Post by luke11685 »

I guess life career of chinese game developers sucks if the only one way to become rich is to just keep making indie games within lots of microtransactions,free to play,thinking that their games of game genres mmorpg(usually top down shooters),moba,rts are the only popular ones shame that companies like Epic Games(they changed their video games taste recently speaking) and Tencent keep making such video games like they wouldn't make their own indie games adequate to just hardcore gamers instead of casual ones. Video games in the 90's were slightly much better than nowadays.
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Re: Chinese game developers

Post by Hellkeeper »

What a load of nonsense. This is stream of consciousness level of rambling.
You must construct additional pylons.
luke11685
OldUnreal Member

Post by luke11685 »

Usually Chinese game developers even investors are making lots of games with microtransactions in rts,moba, MMORPG casual mobile,PC gaming genres that I guess it's very profitable for them. I hope it now makes more sense now.
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hara-Kiri Rock. I need scissors! 61
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hara-Kiri Rock. I need scissors! 61
[smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]
luke11685
OldUnreal Member

Post by luke11685 »

Actually Tencent helped Blizzard Entertainment invest money in Overwatch series I guess they also (including Epic Games-not only them,but also Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft,Valve Corporation)helped Sega investing money in Bayonetta 3,Shenmue 3. Who knows maybe this Chinese big company could invest money in revival of Unreal Tournament 4 and Jazz Jackrabbit 3,but I guess Fortnite Battle Royale e-sports events since this year will be cancelled for now on and in the future due to coronavirus.
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

Dude, I have nothing against far-out speculations, but at this point we're speculating about the ability of Congolese pentecostal priests to summon working underwater stations manned by russian demons.
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

im still waiting on a new jill of the jungle myself
luke11685
OldUnreal Member

Post by luke11685 »

Fortnite is constantly growing at the expense of employees. They give up their private lives and spend a lot of time in the office, which has a toxic, stressful atmosphere. Production of the Epic Games studio is one of the most watched in the world, and at the same time nearly 250 million people play it. Fortnite's popularity, however, is due to the dedication that employees are forced to make.

In the last months, Polygon conducted dozens of interviews with those responsible for the development of the game. The interviews revealed that current, past and contracted employees of Epic Games spent or spend regularly 70 hours a week, including on Fortnite. In some weeks, the number of hours reached even a hundred. This gives an average of 14 hours a day, also on weekends. Everyone should answer the question here: Is it worth risking your health and sitting in the office for so much time?
People from the quality assurance and customer service departments complain of a stressful and hostile work environment in overtime, which is understood as a voluntary commitment to the development of the game. It is worth noting that the company's management expected employees to have this type of "volunteering". Although employees receive payment for this time, they complain about the culture of the organization that makes people live in fear. As a result of 70-hour weeks of work and a huge sacrifice of themselves, their families and passion for Fortnite, some people employed at Epic Games suffered health problems.

Most people see that the game after the introduction of the Battle Royale mode achieved exceptional success and developed to such an extent that the developers have allocated as much as $ 100 million to the prize pools of professional tournaments. People known e.g. from the world of music joined the trend. Drake and Travis Scott along with the popular streamer Tyler "Ninja" Blevins co-broadcast with Fortnite. Everyone enjoys playing, but at the expense of studio employees.
Polygon questioned about the harsh conditions in the company of full-time employees, contractors or managers. All people agreed that they want to remain anonymous so as not to be punished or expelled from Epic Games. The organization's policy limits the ability of employees to share details about its activities.

- I work an average of 70 hours a week. Our company has at least 50 or maybe 100 people who spend so much time at work. I also know those who spend 100 hours a week working. Epic grants me a vacation, but there is no way I could use it. If I take time off, a lot of work will fall on my colleagues. No one would like to be the one who drops work on colleagues. One of the interviewees said. He also added that overtime is mainly due to constant updates. Management wants to keep Fortnite on top for as long as possible, and it's not easy in the face of growing competition.

Epic Games spokesman admitted that employees' work time was drastically extended. - People work very hard at Fortnit. Extreme situations such as a 100-hour work week are extremely rare. If they appear, we immediately try to remedy them - said the representative of the company.

- Everything must be done immediately - commented one of the employees. - If an error occurs, e.g. in a weapon, we cannot take it out of service and fix it only in the next update. We have to patch it right away, and at the same time we're still working on the next patch, it's brutal.
"I can barely sleep, make a noise at home and have no strength to go outside," the informant said. - Getting a free weekend is a feat. If I quit my job on Saturday, I feel guilty. I am not forced to think like that, but if I hang around, the work will not be done.

- I know people who refused to work on weekends and because of that we crossed the deadline because they didn't finish their work. Of course they were released. People are losing their jobs because they don't want to sit in the office that much - another person from Epic Games said. - It even happened that my friends came to me with tears in their eyes and said that they could not stand it anymore. She added.

- If I had to finish an 8-hour work day, I would go to the manager and ask if I had anything else to do. He usually looked at me like an idiot. Officially, in this situation, I do not have to work any more, but in fact my manager told me to sit down and continue working - the employee informed.

Another person said that contractors who refused to work for so many hours were exchanged. - You're on a contract. It may last three months, it may last a year, but if you do not sacrifice yourself and do no additional work, you do not have to count on its extension - one of the informers commented.

- The management wanted available people, those who would come and work as long as superiors would require them. One of the older employees said: "Bring more bodies." That's what the people on the contract were called. When they were no longer needed, they were disposed of. After all, it was possible to replace them with fresh people who have not yet soaked in this toxic atmosphere - said an employee of Epic Games.
The spokesperson commented as follows: - All Epic Games contractors have fixed-term contracts, mainly for 6 to 12 months. The decision to extend it is based on the quality of services provided and the willingness to work to meet the deadlines for the release of the game or update. - he also added that contracted persons work overtime less than five hours a week.

Employees who focused mainly on Fortnite also rarely had time for anything else, especially in the face of the rapid development of the game. - There was a gym in the office. In theory, everyone could use it in their free time, but we didn't have it. We were in a constant race that never ends with a game like Fortnite. You always add new things and develop current ones - commented the employee. - I sat in the office 12 hours a day, seven days a week, for four or five months. A lot of it came down to staying at the company until 3 or 4am - another person added.

Many interviewees said that refusing to work late meant that they could not be promoted. Managers expected people to sit politely at night without complaining. "There was nothing to talk to them about," said one informant. - The attempted agreement ended something like this: "I hope you don't have plans for this weekend, because there are a lot of things to do." However, if I had any plans and wanted to let go Saturday or Sunday, they would have to be really serious, otherwise it would have a bad effect on my reputation at work.

A customer service person who dealt with player questions said they received between 20,000 and 3,000 requests per day. She also reported that Epic Games immediately hired new people to handle the flood of fan questions. However, the problem could not be solved by increasing staff. According to her statement, the next day an additional 50 people without experience simply appeared in the office, and that did not help at all.

"The managers were very harsh," she commented. - When I had a case, I went to my boss. I was ignored and he never went back to this topic. He just didn't care. When I complained, one of my superiors told me to be silent and warned me that by doing so I could say goodbye to work. We had to work 50 hours a week and answer 200 applications a day. It is very tiring because we were forced to work quickly. When I cried because I was very exhausted, they saw it, but they didn't care.
The spokesperson commented as follows: - All Epic Games contractors have fixed-term contracts, mainly for 6 to 12 months. The decision to extend it is based on the quality of services provided and the willingness to work to meet the deadlines for the release of the game or update. - he also added that contracted persons work overtime less than five hours a week.
According to some employees, the company offers a fantastic bonus system, career prospects, and a rich social life. In turn, one person said that she had never experienced such a load of work outside of Fortnite and described Epic Games as the perfect employer. However, the same person said her colleagues were working late. - The group of people who work the most are producers. They have loads of things to do. They just work, work and work. This is crazy. She commented.

When Fortnite introduced the Battle Royale mode, about 50 people worked on it. This number increased three times when the game achieved tremendous success. - We employed non-stop. Since the release of Fortnite in 2017, we have doubled the number of full-time employees. We've always been willing to hire fantastic people. The limit on acquiring new people is not money, but the pace at which we can find qualified people. - spokesman said.

However, another Epic Games employee reported that management initiatives did not solve the problem of staying overnight. - The company was growing so quickly that most people did not even know what was just introduced to it. It was crazy, more than any project I was working on. This endless run was everywhere, even in administration. The only people who did not have to participate were those ordering us to work at an incredible pace - the informant added.

- At the beginning we were informed much earlier about the need to take overtime. We had time to prepare. We knew what we were going to work on and we knew the plan. When Fortnite Battle Royale gained popularity, everything changed. Sometimes we had a month to prepare, and sometimes less than a day. In most cases, we had to sit on the project until we finished it. He was the most aggressive graphic artist I have ever seen. People in every department burned out professionally - said one of the employees.

"We responded to these challenges by rapidly expanding the team, streamlining the planning process, and continually experimenting," commented Epic Games spokesman. The company has introduced a mandatory two-week vacation during winter and summer.

- Nerves are not good for work. I watched colleagues who were calm at first, but became more and more nervous about spending so many hours in the office. One day they got up and left, and we never saw them again. Nobody talked about them. If someone asked: 'Hey, does this person still work here?', I just looked at him strangely - informed the person asked by Polygon.
According to some employees, the company offers a fantastic bonus system, career prospects, and a rich social life. In turn, one person said that she had never experienced such a load of work outside of Fortnite and described Epic Games as the perfect employer. However, the same person said her colleagues were working late. - The group of people who work the most are producers. They have loads of things to do. They just work, work and work. This is crazy. She commented.

When Fortnite introduced the Battle Royale mode, about 50 people worked on it. This number increased three times when the game achieved tremendous success. - We employed non-stop. Since the release of Fortnite in 2017, we have doubled the number of full-time employees. We've always been willing to hire fantastic people. The limit on acquiring new people is not money, but the pace at which we can find qualified people. - spokesman said.

However, another Epic Games employee reported that management initiatives did not solve the problem of staying overnight. - The company was growing so quickly that most people did not even know what was just introduced to it. It was crazy, more than any project I was working on. This endless run was everywhere, even in administration. The only people who did not have to participate were those ordering us to work at an incredible pace - the informant added.

- At the beginning we were informed much earlier about the need to take overtime. We had time to prepare. We knew what we were going to work on and we knew the plan. When Fortnite Battle Royale gained popularity, everything changed. Sometimes we had a month to prepare, and sometimes less than a day. In most cases, we had to sit on the project until we finished it. He was the most aggressive graphic artist I have ever seen. People in every department burned out professionally - said one of the employees.

"We responded to these challenges by rapidly expanding the team, streamlining the planning process, and continually experimenting," commented Epic Games spokesman. The company has introduced a mandatory two-week vacation during winter and summer.

- Nerves are not good for work. I watched colleagues who were calm at first, but became more and more nervous about spending so many hours in the office. One day they got up and left, and we never saw them again. Nobody talked about them. If someone asked: 'Hey, does this person still work here?', I just looked at him strangely - informed the person asked by Polygon.
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

Jaden Darchon (Pcube)
OldUnreal Member

Post by Jaden Darchon (Pcube) »

Fortnite is constantly growing at the expense of employees. They give up their private lives and spend a lot of time in the office, which has a toxic, stressful atmosphere. Production of the Epic Games studio is one of the most watched in the world, and at the same time nearly 250 million people play it. Fortnite's popularity, however, is due to the dedication that employees are forced to make.

In the last months, Polygon conducted dozens of interviews with those responsible for the development of the game. The interviews revealed that current, past and contracted employees of Epic Games spent or spend regularly 70 hours a week, including on Fortnite. In some weeks, the number of hours reached even a hundred. This gives an average of 14 hours a day, also on weekends. Everyone should answer the question here: Is it worth risking your health and sitting in the office for so much time?
People from the quality assurance and customer service departments complain of a stressful and hostile work environment in overtime, which is understood as a voluntary commitment to the development of the game. It is worth noting that the company's management expected employees to have this type of "volunteering". Although employees receive payment for this time, they complain about the culture of the organization that makes people live in fear. As a result of 70-hour weeks of work and a huge sacrifice of themselves, their families and passion for Fortnite, some people employed at Epic Games suffered health problems.

Most people see that the game after the introduction of the Battle Royale mode achieved exceptional success and developed to such an extent that the developers have allocated as much as $ 100 million to the prize pools of professional tournaments. People known e.g. from the world of music joined the trend. Drake and Travis Scott along with the popular streamer Tyler "Ninja" Blevins co-broadcast with Fortnite. Everyone enjoys playing, but at the expense of studio employees.
Polygon questioned about the harsh conditions in the company of full-time employees, contractors or managers. All people agreed that they want to remain anonymous so as not to be punished or expelled from Epic Games. The organization's policy limits the ability of employees to share details about its activities.

- I work an average of 70 hours a week. Our company has at least 50 or maybe 100 people who spend so much time at work. I also know those who spend 100 hours a week working. Epic grants me a vacation, but there is no way I could use it. If I take time off, a lot of work will fall on my colleagues. No one would like to be the one who drops work on colleagues. One of the interviewees said. He also added that overtime is mainly due to constant updates. Management wants to keep Fortnite on top for as long as possible, and it's not easy in the face of growing competition.

Epic Games spokesman admitted that employees' work time was drastically extended. - People work very hard at Fortnit. Extreme situations such as a 100-hour work week are extremely rare. If they appear, we immediately try to remedy them - said the representative of the company.

- Everything must be done immediately - commented one of the employees. - If an error occurs, e.g. in a weapon, we cannot take it out of service and fix it only in the next update. We have to patch it right away, and at the same time we're still working on the next patch, it's brutal.
"I can barely sleep, make a noise at home and have no strength to go outside," the informant said. - Getting a free weekend is a feat. If I quit my job on Saturday, I feel guilty. I am not forced to think like that, but if I hang around, the work will not be done.

- I know people who refused to work on weekends and because of that we crossed the deadline because they didn't finish their work. Of course they were released. People are losing their jobs because they don't want to sit in the office that much - another person from Epic Games said. - It even happened that my friends came to me with tears in their eyes and said that they could not stand it anymore. She added.

- If I had to finish an 8-hour work day, I would go to the manager and ask if I had anything else to do. He usually looked at me like an idiot. Officially, in this situation, I do not have to work any more, but in fact my manager told me to sit down and continue working - the employee informed.

Another person said that contractors who refused to work for so many hours were exchanged. - You're on a contract. It may last three months, it may last a year, but if you do not sacrifice yourself and do no additional work, you do not have to count on its extension - one of the informers commented.

- The management wanted available people, those who would come and work as long as superiors would require them. One of the older employees said: "Bring more bodies." That's what the people on the contract were called. When they were no longer needed, they were disposed of. After all, it was possible to replace them with fresh people who have not yet soaked in this toxic atmosphere - said an employee of Epic Games.

Employees who focused mainly on Fortnite also rarely had time for anything else, especially in the face of the rapid development of the game. - There was a gym in the office. In theory, everyone could use it in their free time, but we didn't have it. We were in a constant race that never ends with a game like Fortnite. You always add new things and develop current ones - commented the employee. - I sat in the office 12 hours a day, seven days a week, for four or five months. A lot of it came down to staying at the company until 3 or 4am - another person added.

Many interviewees said that refusing to work late meant that they could not be promoted. Managers expected people to sit politely at night without complaining. "There was nothing to talk to them about," said one informant. - The attempted agreement ended something like this: "I hope you don't have plans for this weekend, because there are a lot of things to do." However, if I had any plans and wanted to let go Saturday or Sunday, they would have to be really serious, otherwise it would have a bad effect on my reputation at work.

A customer service person who dealt with player questions said they received between 20,000 and 3,000 requests per day. She also reported that Epic Games immediately hired new people to handle the flood of fan questions. However, the problem could not be solved by increasing staff. According to her statement, the next day an additional 50 people without experience simply appeared in the office, and that did not help at all.

"The managers were very harsh," she commented. - When I had a case, I went to my boss. I was ignored and he never went back to this topic. He just didn't care. When I complained, one of my superiors told me to be silent and warned me that by doing so I could say goodbye to work. We had to work 50 hours a week and answer 200 applications a day. It is very tiring because we were forced to work quickly. When I cried because I was very exhausted, they saw it, but they didn't care.

dude, that is some really... eye opening information.. .. good on you for.. uh.. unearthing this.. material.. :-/
luke11685
OldUnreal Member

Post by luke11685 »

Do you think Epic Games employers and employees have to be chinese-ified? Like are they forced by chinese big corporate companies such as Tencent? Like brainwashed and forced to study culture of chinese communist regime and recently visit working camps? Forced to study chinese mandarin type of language just like in tsar Russia(slavik monarchy) during the 19th century,nazi germans during the world war 2,soviet russia after world war 2,isis,north korea in 21st century? Well history loves to repeat itself.
Kajgue
Global Moderator

Post by Kajgue »

Hey Luke,

Like, I'm not really understanding what you're saying throughout this thread. I don't agree with Tencent nor it's ties to the Chinese government that directly fund it, but everything else just kinda sounds like baseless/extravagant speculation. I also don't understand the connection, or more like, how they'd ship Epic employees from America, all the way to China to 'working' camps to learn Mandarin (? if that's what you're saying).

Like, imo yeah there's alot of corruption even in the current day, but I don't understand how what some of what you're saying could actually work. Everything you're saying just seems totally beyond the clouds atm.

Or maybe I'm just not understanding what you're saying at all.
Last edited by Kajgue on Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AKA - ( T : S : B ) Ice-Lizard
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

Hey Luke,

Like, I'm not really understanding what you're saying throughout this thread.
You mean you actually read all of that?
luke11685
OldUnreal Member

Post by luke11685 »

I guess someday corporate companies will overthrough government. You see I heard thanks to coronavirus/covid-19 VR headsets become popular it didn't even affect popularity of Half-Life Alyx like people were expecting. I heard people working at Epic Games probably sometimes visiting working camps I guess when they arriving sometimes to China they have to be on eyes of surveillance cameras (Big Brother is watching you)kind of like in George Orwell's book novels.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

luke11685 wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:18 am I guess someday corporate companies will overthrough government. You see I heard thanks to coronavirus/covid-19 VR headsets become popular it didn't even affect popularity of Half-Life Alyx like people were expecting. I heard people working at Epic Games probably sometimes visiting working camps I guess when they arriving sometimes to China they have to be on eyes of surveillance cameras (Big Brother is watching you)kind of like in George Orwell's book novels.
Surveillance cameras are generally problem anywhere these days. Its not just china but some of the things that happen are unsettling. I do rememember that even during the last UT developement things weren't alright with Epic at all, like they'd take some suggestions/bug reports and turn them on their head, instead of adding an option to the menu for convenience, they completely disabled the feature and made it not possible to edit the ini outside of the menu which was really like a fuck off gesture honestly. I never tried that UT past the first 2016 update because I myself kind of burned out from what was going on and it went even worse later from what I heard. Like they even banned sir brizz and such people at some point.

I still respect Epic and some of their longer time members, however with some of them they have turned to outright liars like a certain designer (who didn't work on Unreal) going as far to claim that Epic never cut any content. When I showed him a collection of screenshots/articles and videos he never responded again. Either that or he has been secretly brainwashed to forget all that, like you say Luke. But I think it might be just his own memory/and/or arrogance playing part in it. His response felt like it was instructed and not genuine. There are people who are genuine and still stay themselves at Epic but they do not work in the fortnite department I believe. So it is not 100 percent the way its being said for sure. But something fishy has been going on for a while and that's not something that can be argued against.

But I do not get Luke's point about visiting camps and what exactly he's trying to say there. I listened to the rest and the reports and all that but what he says can be interpreted multiple ways.

EDIT:
Oh btw speaking of chinese:
https://www.theverge.com/2021/5/17/2244 ... rk-lawsuit

also that sounds hilarious because
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unreal_(1990_video_game)

and https://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=1274
And some few other Unreal named products. So Unreal wasn't original, it wasn't even Unreal's original/first name and was kept as a working name for most of the time until they decided not to change it again.
The very old 1995 description of the game even famously omits name but lists fourth difficulty as "ungod".

Imagine unreal being called "ungod".

UNGOD

Like the CHINESE DIRECTIVE said WEVE GOT THIS CHINESE PLACE SEALED TIGHT.

WE'VE HEARD ABOUT IT ON THE CHINESE NEWZ AND MAKE IT SAY WE WERE THERE YESTyERDAY!
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

Leo T_C_K wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 9:00 am But I do not get Luke's point
Nobody does, that's why we asked him politely to stop rambling. Please don't restart these threads.
luke11685
OldUnreal Member

Post by luke11685 »

Brave New World Order in nutshell. Big Brother is watching you.

Return to “Anything else ?”