For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Some noob questions to get me started

This section is intended for non-Unreal posts. Forum rules apply.
George

Some noob questions to get me started

Post by George »

Hi, everybody. So I want to get into Unreal Engine finally. The problem is I never played Unreal or UT, and nowadays I'm interested in Unreal more from technological standpoint. The only Unreal Engine games I've played back in the day are the Harry Potter games and Undying, in case there's any difference.
So, I decided to ask all my general questions here just to kickstart my introduction to the engine. I'll ask more specific questions in the respective subforums as I go.

1. First and foremost, I need editing/modding documentation, as complete and up-to-date as possible. The wiki on this website should be what I need, but it seems to be broken. Keeps telling me that I can only download from within this domain, which I am, but it still won't let me.

2. What tools do you guys use to extract game data? I only know of wotgreal, but it extracts everything into generic folders (Classes, Images, Models, etc.), however, according to the references in the .uc files there's supposed to be a directory structure, which wotgreal does not recreate. I also tried Watto game Extractor, but it created unreadable files.

3. I'm also looking for a list Unreal Engine source releases/leaks. Please, include links, if possible, for official releases. I understand, it would be against the rules to post links to leaks, so for those some info and a filename should suffice.

I'm really excited to finally get into some Unreal modding. I was a Quake guy growing up and Unreal was always "that other engine", I've come to appreciate Unreal's appeal and importance over the years.
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Re: Some noob questions to get me started

Post by Hellkeeper »

I can only answer your first question: yes, the wiki links are unfortunately rejected by Oldunreal itself. You can find the tutorials here and download should work.
Most full tutorials on online form were unfortunately lost as time went by and websites disappeared. These downloadable resources should cover most of what you need. Specific aspects of editing, though, might require some outside documentation. There are a few articles on the wiki and many small websites still exist with docs on how to execute some weird tricks and cool effects. Let us know what you are looking for.
You must construct additional pylons.

Return to “Anything else ?”