For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

...for the first time, ever.

This section is intended for non-Unreal posts. Forum rules apply.
Buster
Global Moderator

...for the first time, ever.

Post by Buster »

The Unreal I have is an original jewel case CD of Unreal Gold, everything still in perfect condition. It's the only Unreal I've installed, played and made maps with. Also, until the 227 patch I've only used the WebLinksPatch and UnrealEdFix4. I do have UT3, too, but haven't installed it in years.

I recently decided to treat myself and expanded my Unreal collection. I finally got myself an original copy of and installed Unreal_222r for the first time, ever. I did patch it to 227i, of course. I've never used the first menu before. I like the one in Gold a lot better, which is a simple fix, but I'll keep it old school for now.

The first thing I've noticed, playing the default Medium skill, is a few missing monsters. I'm used to them being certain places in Gold, and they're not there in the Classic. Right off the bat, too, in the N.Falls level, tunnel entrance near the hut. There's more, but I'm trying to pretend it's my first run.

In a way it is. I had a minor stroke just over 5 years ago, and I haven't sat down with Unreal since it happened. It's like I'm on a retro flashback trip.

I'm getting a kick out of it. Had to share.

:)
Last edited by Buster on Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gatherstone - Unreal by Design
https://gatherstone.oldunreal.com

OK - he falls
Keep it Unreal !!
:-)_~
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Re: ...for the first time, ever.

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Sorry for the necro-bump but there are no level differences whatsoever between gold and "classic", so it must be something else that is the thing, usually it was on higher difficulties there was more.

The only time I played a different nyleve was with the beta or release candidate. I cannot rule out some of them got into sale by mistake even because often they were labeled as finished and even the strategy guides were based on them. In fact one of the strategy guides kept being rewritten each time they delayed the release....but there are still few differences. That's what I was told by one of the authors. He kept writing the guide since late 1997 when it looked like unreal was going to be released for the first time finally, its crazy.

Also getting the 222 version and patching it kind of ruins its uniqueness because it has some different sounds by default like the automag being the same as early enforcer etc for ut. This is partially because UT nearly released as version 222 at one point and it was meant to be an extended version of Unreal of sorts, kind of like Gold. They even prepared a review for it and published it in an Australian magazine. (err it was 221 actually, 222 was the beta that leaked instead but that also was meant to go as release but no longer as "more unreal" as the weapons got all redesigned)

either way all thos sounds changes were especially because they started uncoupling a lot of things/sounds as part of the continuing ut developement

The czech version of gamestar (I had it physically) had review of version 222 instead and that was thought to release, the only thing missing from the leak is levels like phobos that the reviewer had. Basically it was a more complete version that the leak was but otherwise identical.

You also must have gotten the fusion pack maps with it too minus twillight as that wasn't ready yet or they thought it'd be too big to include by default too if they had finished it.
That is, twillight was meant for UT because it had originally Redeemer in it. Now I recalled again why.

Return to “Anything else ?”