For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

My laptop is in its final days.

This section is intended for non-Unreal posts. Forum rules apply.
Buster
Global Moderator

My laptop is in its final days.

Post by Buster »

My laptop is in its final days. After being on for only 10 minutes it either freezes, crashes or blue screens. I hope it lasts long enough for me to save some of the stuff I have on it. It'll take me more than a few months to save up for a new laptop, so I may not be able to post here for a while once this one finally dies.
Gatherstone - Unreal by Design
https://gatherstone.oldunreal.com

OK - he falls
Keep it Unreal !!
:-)_~
Smirftsch
Administrator

Re: My laptop is in its final days.

Post by Smirftsch »

if not more expensive to send it from here to you than it's worth itself I'd send you some of my mini pc I've got here laying around until then...not exactly gaming boxes, but running.

:(
Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
Skywolf
OldUnreal Member

Post by Skywolf »

Isnt it just overheating? Laptops tend to get cooling issues from the dust it collects over the years.
I hate it when people ask me what my favorite game is. Just try to explain you're not talking about Unreal Tournament ::).
Buster
Global Moderator

Post by Buster »

I wish it was just an overheating problem. My laptop is at least 6 years old. I got it used, and I've been running it 16-20 hours a day for almost 3 years. It's just getting old like me.

:)

OK - he falls
Keep it Unreal !!
Carbon
OldUnreal Member

Post by Carbon »

Take out the hard drive and copy the contents to an external drive or another computer until you can get a new rig. The data is likely fine right now, but repeated crashes can cause corruption.
Feralidragon
OldUnreal Member

Post by Feralidragon »

I wish it was just an overheating problem. My laptop is at least 6 years old. I got it used, and I've been running it 16-20 hours a day for almost 3 years. It's just getting old like me.

Do you mean that you actually measured the temperatures?

Because bluescreen after a set amount of time sounds like overheating or an HDD problem, and it could even be a software problem (malware, corruption of system files, too much junk).

Either way, yeah, backup all the important data first, and then you can try checking the temperatures, cleaning it up a bit (even if just with compressed air) and maybe do a complete reinstall.

Also, computers tend to work without issues for 10+ years as long as you take care of them (minimal maintenance like dust cleaning, especially when summer comes up).

In other words, you may be thinking that your laptop is dying, when all it needs is some overdue maintenance.
Buster
Global Moderator

Post by Buster »

I've got my stuff safe and cozy now, just in case. Yes, my laptop does run quite warm, but I really want a newer one. Plus, not only am I old like my laptop I'm also lazy. I tend to slow down after 10 minutes or so.

Thanks for listening to me whine.

OK - he falls
Keep it Unreal !!

Return to “Anything else ?”