For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

someone with some Apple hardware

This section is intended for non-Unreal posts. Forum rules apply.
Smirftsch
Administrator

someone with some Apple hardware

Post by Smirftsch »

Since I am still messing now and then with my latest 227 build on OSX, I am wondering if someone is having some Apple stuff around willing to sell me for a "reasonable" price ?
I am honest, I am not willing to spend 200 bucks for some hardware from around 2006, I know that's the "normal" price but I think that's more than impudent for such old stuff. If it would be comparable PC hardware it would be probably in trash already :P
For me it's to much money for some experiments only, since I will probably never allowed to release this port anyway.
Currently I am having some very old PowerMac, but this arch is long dead and it's no fun anymore to compile and work with this old stuff.
I actually don't care what it really would be, I'd prefer an old mac pro, but everything with an Intel CPU is doing the trick.
Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
han
Global Moderator

Re: someone with some Apple hardware

Post by han »

Honestly, you should probably buy a bit of beer instead.

The rendering api situation is really grim for Mac OS X. OpenGL will probably be forever stuck at a said to be poor OpenGL 4.1 implementation.

If you want anything newer, essentially Metal is the only way to go there, so you would need to maintain a Render/RenDev implementation for a single plattform you will probably never release.

To be fair, there is a commercial Vulkan to Metal translator available.
HX on Mod DB. Revision on Steam. Löffels on Patreon.
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

no worries, I've got some beer here yet :D

well, the port itself is running already despite some minor SDL keyboard input issues, but on my PowerMac only. To make an x86 port I'd need an Intel CPU based Mac (obviously).
Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
Dr.Flay™
OldUnreal Member

Post by Dr.Flay™ »

You should talk to Archon from the only Mac UT site http://unrealosx.webs.com

Return to “Anything else ?”