For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

own account

This section is intended for non-Unreal posts. Forum rules apply.
jaden88

Re: own account

Post by jaden88 »

I really only ban people who incessantly team kill and who never let up. I don't think I even banned (klingon)packleader, as he was just a source of entertainment
Packleader was truly a boon for Screwover Innovation. His unparalleled sh1ttiness motivated development of UWMDs (Unreal Weapons of Mass Destruction), pioneering projects such as:
  • File BS - Allows an admin to write endless files to a client's harddrive; remember that one time we wrote hundreds of gigs to his hdd on every connect?
  • Crash Bs - Hard locks Unreal, removing their console so There is No Escape (TM)..
  • Admin Rifle - Issue commands on remote clients, great to screw over Crackleader's binds
  • Remote Tracker - Allows an admin to bug a client and a.) see all of their chat, b.) issue commands remotely whenever they fire up Unreal
  • Gibblinize - A great command that spawns thousands of gibs on a client (that only they can see) every tick. That sucks for CPU usage & heat!!!
The War on Crackleader was certainly an entertaining one, seeing how he was just a loser that used unreal1fake and couldn't code his way out of a paper walmart bag. And no, none of these are or will ever be in use again, but it was entertaining to use him as a pathetic test subject.
Last edited by jaden88 on Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

But you were just trying to get under my nails claws that time.
        --zeur.
FTFY
Thanks!
--zeur.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

• File BS - Allows an admin to write endless files to a client's harddrive; remember that one time we wrote hundreds of gigs to his hdd on every connect?
Is that using the statlog shit that I fixed, but Smirftsch afaik didn't? Or did you just feed him a fake pkg for download?
        --zeur.
Last edited by Leo T_C_K on Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jaden88

Post by jaden88 »

Is that using the statlog shit that I fixed, but Smirftsch afaik didn't?
        --zeur.
Yup. And I think that security hole is addressed in later versions of 227.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Funny that Smirftsch never bothered to reply to us on the issue. We made sure to tell him about it right after I fixed it, which was ~5 mins after my discovery.
         --zeur.
Last edited by Leo T_C_K on Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

Is that using the statlog shit that I fixed, but Smirftsch afaik didn't?
        --zeur.
:)

it just appends ".log" to the end so you can't overwrite any important file. In theory statlog can be useful to generate .uc files (a dots mod did this, it was rather awesome), but in general statlogfile was great for screwing things over like boot.ini :)

the "aegis" game engine I made also disables statlogfiles class from being instantiated at runtime by adding Abstract to class flags
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Sorry, overlooked this one:
Ok fair enough. To wit I think I've been b& from OU like 3 times, lol. Sometimes you just gotta let it whip and and flap around in the wind, you know?
Oh yes, although it's considered a bit taboo to say so, I believe.
        --zeur.
Last edited by Leo T_C_K on Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

:)

it just appends ".log" to the end
Oh dear, a kludge if I've ever seen one. At least my fix disables it altogether.
so you can't overwrite any important file.
Do you consider Unreal.log to be unimportant?
--zeur.
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

the C++ side already has Unreal.log open, so I think it's aware that it can't open w+ on the file again.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

the C++ side already has Unreal.log open, so I think it's aware that it can't open w+ on the file again.
Depends. UNIX wouldn't forbid it. The library routines might, though. Or Smirftsch could've done his homework and learned about advisory locks, but I wouldn't exactly count on it.
--zeur.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

By the way...
Pale Moon
[img]http://www.shikadi.net/wiki/keen/images/0/01/Keen_mooning_%40_player.png[/img]

--zeur.
Last edited by Leo T_C_K on Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skywolf
OldUnreal Member

Post by Skywolf »

Cant you just create a second Windows user account on the same machine and switch users without logging off? Unless you're running Windows 98 or some other deprecated old crap ofcourse.
I hate it when people ask me what my favorite game is. Just try to explain you're not talking about Unreal Tournament ::).
jaden88

Post by jaden88 »

--zeur.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Cant you just create a second Windows user account on the same machine and switch users without logging off?
I'm aware of the theoretical possibility, but I've not been able to get it to work. This install is old and fscked anyway. If I'd have the luxury of a fresh one I'd gladly poke around some more to get it working.
Unless you're running Windows 98
Nope. Though that would at least let my mess-dos games run...
or some other deprecated old crap ofcourse.
Yeah. Windoze.
--zeur.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

--zeur.
You're turning me the other cheek?
--zeur.
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

https://www.netmarketshare.com/operatin ... pcustomd=0

according to this not many people are running deprecated garbage
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

https://www.netmarketshare.com/operatin ... pcustomd=0

according to this not many people are running deprecated garbage
Since various versions of windoze top that list, I'll have to call that statement false. Or are you talking about the new paint m$ sprays on it now and then? Plain windoze is such a disaster that users find themselves dropping to mess-dos at every turn. And there's windoze NT, that VMS clone with an even more retarded UI that *constantly* gets in the way. Like I said, deprecated garbage.

And just like VMS admins, proponents of windoze are generally clueless. To the point that shooting is too good for them.
        --zeur.
Last edited by Leo T_C_K on Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

I don't know anyone who legitimately uses dos for anything at all, actually. only dosbox or an actual VM running dos itself to run old games and editors like Impulse Tracker that windows won't (and shouldn't) run.
Last edited by []KAOS[]Casey on Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

I don't know anyone who legitimately uses dos for anything at all, actually. only dosbox or an actual VM running dos itself to run old games and editors like Impulse Tracker that windows won't (and shouldn't) run.
Who still uses plain windoze? Last release was version 4.99[1] (branded as 'Windoze ME'). I thought everyone was running WNT (tellingly, VMS+1) by now. There's no quitting to mess-dos in there. It's theoretically possible to use NT w/o windoze, but m$ have been witholding the relevant programs (terminal emulator, shell, etc.)[2].
        --zeur.

[1] Ugh, version number politics.
[2] It's said that only the NT kernel developers have them.
Last edited by Leo T_C_K on Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

[img][/img]

you can now also use bash and the ubuntu (and others with some hacking about) userspace on win10, though it's limited in functionality, not all OS calls are properly implemented. Certainly miles better than powershell and the "command prompt"

I personally use windows to play vidija gamez but I have a *nix machine hooked up next to me for anything else, unless I am developing for something that has to run on windows.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

you can now also use bash and the ubuntu (and others with some hacking about) userspace on win10, though it's limited in functionality, not all OS calls are properly implemented. Certainly miles better than powershell and the "command prompt"
Yeah, I bet. And then there's the abysmal state of the lunix kernel...
I personally use windows to play vidija gamez but I have a *nix machine hooked up next to me for anything else, unless I am developing for something that has to run on windows.
Yeah, normally I have a similar setup, w/ the games machine heavily firewalled off, running from read-only media (or failing that, a memory file system). {text,audio} terminal to the left, big screen w/ pee-cee kbd in the middle for games and pr0n (not sure in which order), and an auxiliary graphics terminal to the right. Middle one is hooked up to a kvm switch so mecan switch between mess-dos, windoze, X and the gamecube[1].
--zeur.

[1] I only use it to play Metroid Prime.
Carbon
OldUnreal Member

Post by Carbon »

Meanwhile, back at the topic, "zeur" has managed to continue deflecting and blaming for 4 pages of nonsense. Why split the thread? Now we have 2 garbage cans.

Stop feeding the trolls people.

"zeur": get your own account. Set up a spam email account somewhere, create a new user account on Windows and register.

OU is not your playground.
Last edited by Carbon on Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

ROFL.

/thread

--zeur.
makemeunreal
OldUnreal Member

Post by makemeunreal »

Meanwhile, back at the topic, "zeur" has managed to continue deflecting and blaming for 4 pages of nonsense. Why split the thread? Now we have 2 garbage cans.

"zeur": get your own account. Set up a spam email account somewhere, create a new user account on Windows and register.

OU is not your playground.
It is not. But will it be?

Edit 1:. I've always had some kind of a "fanatism" towards you. Thinkin' 'bout you like a walkin' Unreal bible. Someone who knows so much 'bout my beloved game. But you will reach a point when even the ones who had the greatest respect towards you will be the ones sayin' a final verdict upon you.
Last edited by makemeunreal on Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
fake

Post by fake »

Troglodytes beware. My luser account is now active. See, now that wasn't too hard, was it?

--zeur
Last edited by fake on Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If you have any trouble sounding condescending, find a Unix user to show you how it's done."
--Scott Adams

Return to “Anything else ?”