For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

own account

This section is intended for non-Unreal posts. Forum rules apply.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

own account

Post by Leo T_C_K »

zeur here. Let's split this sucker off, since it's about a seperate issue.
Get an account manually activated.
Fine, I'd like to. There are two problems left, however:

1. I don't currently have an e-mail address, so Smirftsch will have to give in and tie Leo_TCK's[1] to the account, for the time being. Leo_TCK approves of this, Smirftsch has, until now, refused.

2. As we share a machine[1] which unfortunately runs windoze[2], we feel rather forced to run a single-instance browser. That browser is firecrox. Can anyone tell me how to force it to start a new process, w/ a diff cookie jar? Or recommend a different browser capable of such a feat (not from m$ or goo, since we trust them even less than what the mozilla 'project' has become), that runs on windoze? We once found a fly-by-night port of lynx (yay for lynx in any case), but it's basically unusable.[3]
Don't be such a lazy ass. This is completely out of hand
Yeah, you're right, it's gotten out of hand. But at least in this case, it's Smirftsch who's lazy, not me. Why don't you put a word in w/ him, so we can, hopefully, at least get the first problem fixed?

[1] Leo_TCK and me are not fond of this sharing either. For the moment, however, it's simply necessary.
[2] Windoze is, of course, just one example of an OS broken in that manner.
[3] Of course, our grand admin could get off his lazy ass for longer and implement support for SIDs or even plain HTTP auth, but if we can work around the issue clientside, let's do it.
Hyper
OldUnreal Member

Re: own account

Post by Hyper »

[olist][*]Can be easily fixed by registering one of the many free mail services. I can recommend GMX.com/net.
[*]Can be fixed using a separate [url=http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable]Firefox portable[/url] install which nicely puts your profile inside the Firefox folder. You can not run them simultaneously, so exit the installed Firefox before starting the portable one and vice versa.
[/olist]
The man who stopped a tsunami

http://www.hypercoop.tk
unreal://hypercoop.tk
makemeunreal
OldUnreal Member

Post by makemeunreal »

Well, I've never had any problem usin' the site, so for me it's completely okay. Behavin' like that callin' an admin in names etc is not.
Why don't you just PM him?
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

RE: own account

Post by Leo T_C_K »

[olist][*]Can be easily fixed
ITYM 'work around'.
by registering one of the many free mail services.
Just for Oldunreal? Then I'm not going to poll it. It'll effectively be a junk address. Hope Smirftsch doesn't mind[1].
I can recommend GMX.com/net.
Thanks for the recommendation. I'll investigate.
[olist][*]Can be fixed using a separate [url=http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable]Firefox portable[/url] install which nicely puts your profile inside the Firefox folder. You can not run them simultaneously, so exit the installed Firefox before starting the portable one and vice versa.
[/olist]
Tja, wat moet ik daar nou van zeggen?[2] Can we at least run multiple copies of the 'portable' version at the same time? That's kind of the whole point, y'know...

I appreciate your effort.
--zeur.

[1] Okay, I lied. Given that he's the kind of admin who doesn't admin, I don't really care, either.
[2] That's an idle remark. Ignore it if you can't parse it.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Well, I've never had any problem usin' the site, so for me it's completely okay. Behavin' like that callin' an admin in names etc is not.
Quite frankly, I hate the limitations[1] of WWW forums. You guys should consider youself honored that I'm still willing to post here! ;)
Why don't you just PM him?
PMs were exchanged in the past. Suffice it to say that he promised the world and then didn't quite deliver on it.

--zeur.

[1] Fascist block-mode interface[2], wanky rules, crap admins, host gone == content gone, etc.
[2] As if we're still using IBM mainframes from 1971, at a bank or similar institution.
Last edited by Leo T_C_K on Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hyper
OldUnreal Member

Post by Hyper »

There can be as many Firefox portable installations be on the disk as diskspace allows, but you can only have one open at a single time. Otherwise the firefox.exe processes will conflict in memory or just not start at all.

But if you really want simultaneous browsers open in memory, you could try Pale Moon which is a Firefox fork.
https://www.palemoon.org/palemoon-portable.shtml

(I don't know if this will work as I never tried it but I think it can run side-by-side with Firefox.
Last edited by Hyper on Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The man who stopped a tsunami

http://www.hypercoop.tk
unreal://hypercoop.tk
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

But if you really want simultaneous browsers open in memory,
Yeah, I'm afraid so. If windoze had real multi-luser support I'm sure it would've been easier. Then again, on UNIX we use lynx(1)[1], which doesn't have the single-instance limitation at all.
you could try Pale Moon which is a Firefox fork.
https://www.palemoon.org/palemoon-portable.shtml
Thanks, we'll have a look at that, too.
(I don't know if this will work as I never tried it but I think it can run side-by-side with Firefox.
If we can run multiple instances of the fork, we could perhaps ditch firecrox altogether. It's worth a try.

--zeur.

[1] In combination w/ feh(1) it's actually really smooth and convenient.
Last edited by Leo T_C_K on Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

There is also "firefox -p" which starts a profile manager which works on both *nix and windows. Unfortunately it doesn't allow for simultaneous different profiles.
Last edited by []KAOS[]Casey on Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

Reminder:

This includes how to use a temporary free email address
Last edited by []KAOS[]Casey on Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

There is also "firefox -p" which starts a profile manager, right this second (I will test)
Same one that shows up after installation?
I don't know if it works on *nix.['/quote]

I don't care. On UNIX we use lynx. And there's multi-luser support, anyway. Just start one X swerver per luser, when sharing a terminal.
Unfortunately it doesn't allow for simultaneous different profiles.
Yeah, and that's the problem. We're forced to use this single-luser bitty box. Leo_TCK doesn't want to give up his old Unreal stuff -- which doesn't run on UNIX -- and mecan understand that.

I'm still in the process of arranging a decent UNIX machine, for the third-paw bitty box that was supposed to fill that void for the time being already collapsed into a pile of bits.

--zeur.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Reminder:

An error occurred.
Try watching this video on www.youtube.com, or enable JavaScript if it is disabled in your browser.
I'm afraid that Leo_TCK is the gootube fan here.
This includes how to use a temporary free email address
I know that, for fscks sake. I just don't like registering an e-mail addr just to bin it moments later. Especially when it's a workaround for an admin's laziness. It's the principle. I'm just making an exception 'cause things indeed have gotten out of hand.
--zeur.
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

third-paw
jaden88

Post by jaden88 »

Wise Words from the Future...
Post your log files
Banned from Jacksons : [ch9745]
Banned from Zombies : [ch9745]
Banned from Hypers : [ch9745]
Banned from Redrum : [ch9745]
Smiley
quoted to raise Awareness...

That moment when the (borg/zerg) collective userbase assists an individual in registering for an account while they've violated multiple rules of said forum and are pending inevitable ban anyway...
Last edited by jaden88 on Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

Post your log files
Smiley
Last edited by []KAOS[]Casey on Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

third-paw
She's sure got enough paws left to pass it through.

Got something for 'paw-me-down', too?

--zeur.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Post your log files
Smiley
Where's the 'Banned from NichtNet : [ch9745]' in your siggy, anyway? The only ban in the (admittedly short and rather intermittent) history of my Unreal swerver... that lasted 30 minutes
That moment when the (borg/zerg) collective userbase assists an individual in registering for an account while they've violated multiple rules of said forum and are pending inevitable ban anyway...
Feh, who doesn't violate the rules here?

--zeur.[reason]pcube expanded his post (the sneaky bastard)[/reason]
Last edited by Leo T_C_K on Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jaden88

Post by jaden88 »

Post your log files
Smiley
Where's the 'Banned from NichtNet : [ch9745]' in your siggy, anyway? The only ban in the (admittedly short and rather intermittent) history of my Unreal swerver... that lasted 30 minutes
        --zeur.
Wait, but I thought you had a pretty strong policy against ever banning anyone?
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

I don't think I can fit that without removing another one :(

I could reorganize it though
jaden88

Post by jaden88 »

Feh, who doesn't violate the rules here?

--zeur.
Ok fair enough. To wit I think I've been b& from OU like 3 times, lol. Sometimes you just gotta let it whip and and flap around in the wind, you know?[reason]pcube expanded his post (the sneaky bastard)[/reason]
Last edited by jaden88 on Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

third-paw
She's sure got enough paws left to pass it through.

Got something for 'paw-me-down', too?

--zeur.
https://www.adafruit.com/product/3055

Of course it runs netbsd!
Last edited by []KAOS[]Casey on Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Wait, but I thought you had a pretty strong policy against ever banning anyone?
I do. The only other person I've ever banned from a public swervice was effectively a spammer. And that was from the IRC network Korax use to have. And even then I only did it 'cause it was clear that the other admins approved.

But you were just trying to get under my nails that time. And you succeeded. But I'm sure you remember that :^)
--zeur.
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

I really only ban people who incessantly team kill and who never let up. I don't think I even banned (klingon)packleader, as he was just a source of entertainment
jaden88

Post by jaden88 »

But you were just trying to get under my nails claws that time.
        --zeur.
FTFY
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

https://www.adafruit.com/product/3055

Of course it runs netbsd!
What about OpenBSD? And I'm still in need of a terminal. I'm getting hold of a machine that can fill both roles, for now.
--zeur.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Wow, are you the Doom mapper guy? Your nick looked pretty similiar ahaha
Me? I made a couple of maps, yes. Not very good ones, but 'Knee-Deep in the Dark' (file misnamed KKDARK.WAD) did make a small splash. I've since lost the damn file (forgot to upload it to /idgames at the time, grr), so if you still have a copy please send it to me.
--zeur.
Last edited by Leo T_C_K on Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Anything else ?”