For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Latest awful games you played

This section is intended for non-Unreal posts. Forum rules apply.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Latest awful games you played

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Okay a bit ago I decided to give a try a second hand machine that I bought a year ago, now with the keyboard it was possible, so....I found there were couple of games installed...of varying quality....but one of them was a gem that I couldn't stop laughing about and thought was worse than bigg rigs over the road racing at least the version that was installed. I forgot the name but later recalled it....

well at least this was freeware....

But that doesn't say much.

Its worse than the videos make it out to be though. I just couldn't sit through it without laughing and you know that I'm gonna find more bugs than the average user right?

Well...it's all erased from the disk now but if I could have I would have made a video about it.
Kajgue
Global Moderator

Re: Latest awful games you played

Post by Kajgue »

I guess technically GTA V is good, but from a theme perspective I've never understood how I'm expected to continue playing it and 'feel content dat i'm all gangsta and shit yo tis is mah destiny'.

Either way this just makes the game feel profoundly obnoxious. The only enjoyment I can get out of it is just to solely play it to hunt down other players on the "Online mode" purely just for the reason that 'they play GTA'.

In my opinion the game is just severely awful, despite the fact that graphically and technically it is well made.
Last edited by Kajgue on Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AKA - ( T : S : B ) Ice-Lizard
yrex .
OldUnreal Member

Post by yrex . »

Dink Smallwood: Mystery Island

My work | contact: ampoyrex at wp dot pl
jaden88

Post by jaden88 »

I'm going to throw DK64 under the bus on this one, though awful may be an exaggeration. The clunkiness and recurring question of "when is this supposed to be fun?" springs to mind.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

What do you mean with DK64? Donkey Kong? Or Daikatana?

If the later, well it was kemco at the helm, what do you expect. They only made terrible games.

The only saving grace of that port is that it was still developed based on some beta material or whatever....but terribly screwed up for the most part. And there are also more versions of the game which differ like....one version tells you how to destroy the turrets while the other don't.

And in one version you can kill the scientists and other of those npcs...while in the other you absolutely can't. Also fucking great that you have to kill one of them to get keycard later in the game and the version which you can't kill them just hides the card somewhere....instead or what was it. I don't remember but I did play it through...
Last edited by Leo T_C_K on Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Also if you thought the first game was fucking terrible that I showed, there was more on that goddamn machine......

this

Please kill it with fire. Now I understand why that term was even coined....

permanent braindamage assured.
dustinechoes849
OldUnreal Member

Post by dustinechoes849 »

jaden88

Post by jaden88 »

What do you mean with DK64? Donkey Kong? Or Daikatana?

If the later, well it was kemco at the helm, what do you expect. They only made terrible games.

The only saving grace of that port is that it was still developed based on some beta material or whatever....but terribly screwed up for the most part. And there are also more versions of the game which differ like....one version tells you how to destroy the turrets while the other don't.

And in one version you can kill the scientists and other of those npcs...while in the other you absolutely can't. Also crappity smacking great that you have to kill one of them to get keycard later in the game and the version which you can't kill them just hides the card somewhere....instead or what was it. I don't remember but I did play it through...
Donkey Kong 64. I'm not sure if it's worse than or equal to DKC3 in mediocrity.
Last edited by jaden88 on Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

I'm barely familiar with all the donkey kong games to be honest. Mostly with the original donkey kong game. There's just so much of those games in Mario&DK universe.

So I wouldn't know how bad it all is, but given that there are so many bad or mediocre mario games I'm not surprised.

I looked it up quickly and it looks like it's on the same engine like Mario 64, but I guess far more boring.
jaden88

Post by jaden88 »

Boring is definitely the word, yeah. And tedious as f|_|ck. Imagine this......

you have 5 separate characters and certain areas of each world are locked to only being accessed by one of those 5 characters. That's all well and good, but on top of that you have certain colored items that can only be collected by each character respsectively: only diddy can collect the red bananas, DK the yellow ones (or whatever), etc... this paradigm presents itself with several different collectible items of which there were already a ton, so now you have 5 times as much collect-a-thon to do. It gets even better - when you open a door to a new level (I think, based on what little we played) you only open it FOR THAT CHARACTER.. so you have to unlock the world for each separate character who has a separate inventory of collectibles to unlock it with.

tl;dr You end up backtracking the same f@#% areas literally hundreds of times just to make a miniscule amount of overall progress to new content! And that's not even getting into how buggy the animations and fighting is. Controlling your character is like trying to guide a shopping kart through an oil slick.

Oh, and the story has almost no charm to it at all. Teh BF and I both had the same reaction: "why are we playing this, again?" Rare was an awesome game company with a stellar repertoire but DK64 was simply not fun.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Wow, that just sounds like a lot of fail. Interchanging characters can be fun but sometimes even I got annoyed with some games I cannot reach this and that, imo in most cases there should be an altrnative way to reach it even if more difficult. That's the standard I'm used to. Then games like this turn that upside down.
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

The brokenness of the game is rather interesting. Its framerate constantly tanks but you don't really notice because they speed up your movement to counteract the frame loss. But in doing this you can clip through walls rather easily...
jaden88

Post by jaden88 »

Last edited by jaden88 on Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dustinechoes849
OldUnreal Member

Post by dustinechoes849 »

Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Make a YTP of it then.

I honestly think though that with better levels and all Unreal 2 can be a fun game that looks good. But, it lacks like...decoration physics and all. I mean lots of the stuff that's just static shouldn't have been etcetera....it's like done half right. But still looks better than the ut2 stuff.

I initially hated the game but I know that a ton of good stuff has been removed for the sake of cutting the costs and space on the disk(s) and that it has been severaly dumbed down and it still has secrets and all that are not very rewarding or obvious, like a vent passage in the Hell mission which connects the lab that everyone misses etc. Otherwise its linear as fuck.
Last edited by Leo T_C_K on Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

I initially hated the game but I know that a ton of good stuff has been removed for the sake of cutting the costs and space on the disk(s) and that it has been severaly dumbed down
You're definitely right, it breaks my heart too.
It's sad to see how much of an aborted project U2 is when there was much more planned for it. We can't say it would have been an awesome game if it had been complete, but at least it couldn't be as bad.
You must construct additional pylons.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

I initially hated the game but I know that a ton of good stuff has been removed for the sake of cutting the costs and space on the disk(s) and that it has been severaly dumbed down
You're definitely right, it breaks my heart too.
It's sad to see how much of an aborted project U2 is when there was much more planned for it. We can't say it would have been an awesome game if it had been complete, but at least it couldn't be as bad.
I did speak myself to some of the developers and at one point saw even a maps directory from one of the betas. There were much more maps, i saw a part with deathmatch map names. There was even one video which showed a dm map on unreal 2 with different hud. Though it was without static meshes, more like the ut4 pre-alpha maps but it was going smooth and all.

Speaking of UT4, I erased it recently, as it took more than 20gb on the laptop and last time I tried it I hated the changes they made to it. I could tolerate it in 2015, but in 2016 the game took the wrong turns. The moves were all fine in 2015, now they have wall running and nerfed out many things and the sniper rifle mesh is god awful.

UT3 was the step in right direction but UT4 feels like its made by soulless automatons....

And where is Unreal 3 still? Midway had a contract for three Unreal games, the third one didn't come out....
I've heard from trusted sources that there were several concepts for it.

And I'd really love to see the pre-e3 2001 Unreal 2 even, because the e3 alpha is terrible and incomplete, I saw some screenshots of earlier stuff which are rare and it looked really good on the early Unreal Warfare engine and things seemed to be more expansive and differently paced. Unreal 2 was going to be like Unreal combined with Deus Ex elements but less boring.

What came out was like compressed pile of junk out of that whole concept.
Besides it was never meant as a sequel, the sequel was kinda aborted when Unreal came out, since the ending was going to be different and lead up directly to Unreal 2 the real sequel....
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

UT3 was the step in right direction but UT4 feels like its made by soulless automatons....
Didn't try this new UT, but I thought UT3 was total rubbish and a disaster. I'm glad it's dead and its rotting corpse forgotten bu everyone.
And where is Unreal 3 still? Midway had a contract for three Unreal games, the third one didn't come out....
I've heard from trusted sources that there were several concepts for it.
They probably didn't have enough time since Midway no longer exists and vanished two years after UT3's release. Probably because UT3's took a very long time to gain momentum, too.
And I'd really love to see the pre-e3 2001 Unreal 2 even, because the e3 alpha is terrible and incomplete, I saw some screenshots of earlier stuff which are rare and it looked really good on the early Unreal Warfare engine and things seemed to be more expansive and differently paced. Unreal 2 was going to be like Unreal combined with Deus Ex elements but less boring.
Yep, and that would explain all the subsystems which are barely used in the final game, starting with the dialog system (on the few cases where you can make a choice, it's barely useful). Hence GreatEmerald's intuition (I think it was him) that an actual U2 would have been closer to something like Mass Effect than to the end product.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

I like UT3 because it put back some variety to the weapons, had kickass/dynamic music, had more gore again and fun gameplay. And the campaign isn't to be taken that seriously, but people don't get it.

It's a gritty self-parody thing, like Ninja Turtles originally were, for example.

It's just something that stands on its own and I think it was the most balanced UT game overall in the basic gameplay.

The reason it took so long to develop is because they had to make a fresh start, from one of the reasons at least. Ut2004 was just slap-in content to cash-in (plus things like changing the weapon balance and player movement) in comparison and the take away ut2003 tactic was incredibly lame.

And yes it was greatemerald and he is right in that case, but I don't think Mass Effect is a spiritual succesor. It was still a different game, with different art and feel to it.

Hell, I stumbled upon his site recently:
http://greatemerald.eu/index.php/unreal-ii/mods/334-mind-claw-reconstruction

The mindclaw.

I might have been the one who supplied the "beta" code though(it was from e3 alpha), but it only works on player and bots, not non-armored enemies like he claims...

Last edited by Leo T_C_K on Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

Ut2004 was just slap-in content to cash-in (plus things like changing the weapon balance and player movement) in comparison and the take away ut2003 tactic was incredibly lame.
I didn't see it that way. In my view, UT2004 was Epic finally realizing "you know all that stuff we promised for UC and UT2003 that never happened? Maybe it's time we make part of it".
UT2004 is not just UT2003 with new stuff. Yes, it had everything from 2003 and the same engine, but all the "slap-in content" is enough to make an entire new game from scratch, we're not speaking of 3 maps, 2 skins and hats here. New musics, maps, modes, sounds, weapons, everything.
As for UT3 being a self-aware parody... I don't see it.
And yes it was greatemerald and he is right in that case, but I don't think Mass Effect is a spiritual succesor. It was still a different game, with different art and feel to it.
Oh yes, that's not what I meant, but the final result of a complete U2 would have probably been similar in many ways to ME. I don't think Bioware took any hint from Legend, of course.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

No, UT2004 was slap on content. One of the level designers working on the game even hated what he was doing. You bought into the hype at the time, but really it was ut2003 with changed stuff and different working shields, with all the bonuspack content except lavagiant, with some beta maps returning and then the new content mainly created by hires from the community or even taking their older released maps like deck17 and face classic...yes it wasn't new in ut2004.

Onslaught also was taken from a mod-developing team and Epic told them to drop it for ut2003 and instead integrate it into ut2004 with some changes.

Then you got one more contractor stuido working on intro sequences and such and some new content by digital extremes.
EvilGrins
OldUnreal Member

Post by EvilGrins »

For all of you who dissed Unreal2...
[img]http://ic.pics.livejournal.com/evilgrins/3189901/2180873/2180873_original.png[/img]
...I poke my claws through your eyes!
New Gaming strategy: Hug everything!
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

You just have to catch up to a blob of molasses first
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Btw the very slow player speed was actually a mistake on the release date....if you patch the game you can set the player speed to how it was supposed to be and the patch readme even tells you to.

To begin with the player speed is always larger in the deathmatch gametypes and all, the leftovers that are in the game but basically work.

So yes....the molasses are another screwup.
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

I did create a mutator that sets u2 player speed back to what U1 was set to, including air speed, ground speed, water speed, air control and acceleration. It turns out the biggest difference was acceleration, iirc. which makes a HUGE difference.

It's significantly more playable imo when you move like a U1 player, but my mutator doesnt cover monster speeds so they are trivialized...

Return to “Anything else ?”