For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Mario Level Design Contest?

This section is intended for non-Unreal posts. Forum rules apply.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Mario Level Design Contest?

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Okay here's an idea. Either an outright contest like the unrealsp one i participted or the limited-poly-brushes contest I participated in. But with the twist on making a level in Unreal, using only Unreal resources, with the option of having Upak resources in (but not allowing Upak.u, if you want Upak features use some upak conversion and include it with your level!), or any unreal alpha converted resources(the released upsx stuff is also fine) and being able to run the level in version 225 (on can easily convert with hex editor by replacing the levelsummary string, that reminds me shouldn't future 227ou patches have an option in the editor to turn off levelsummary and not include it?).

One additional content option that should be allowed is unreal 4 ever mod. Why that and nothing else apart from upak/alpha/psx content? Because this mod adds a lot of stuff that would be useful in mario levels without having the option to make your own custom mario content. And because it has so many classic things.

Botpack content is not allowed unless content converted also or botpack music/textures included in the archive...
Also if you want to use castle1 textures from upak, for ut compatibility please try to use castle1rys or rename castle1 to castle1rys and include it with your package...
This is because castle1 got cut for botpack like original crypt.utx got cut for Unreal....resulting in the fake Crypt2.utx.

Basically one would create an Unreal level, inspired by Mario games or sister franchises. Meaning actually the Donkey Kong games or Wario games are fine even if some of them don't feature Mario himself...

What you can create is one level or half of a game, I don't care, as long as it's one Unreal map having Unreal "laws" in it. SO no custom gametype or unreal 2d here. Try to use as many unreal resources as possible.

I'll make such a level myself. Perhaps there shouldn't even be a time limit and this should be treated as an "event". Let me know what you think.

This should produce a creativity. Oh and peraps there should be a surface limit per brush like in that other contest. Don't make brushes that have over 30 surfaces. I won't require the draconian 20 brush rule, but please no more than 30 surfaces per brush.

Staticmeshes are not allowed too.

This is a proposal right now, but I'd like to stick to these said rules. What I'm not sure about is the form of this contest and whether there should be any contest at all or this should be just an event. I prefer the later folks...

Return to “Anything else ?”