For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Favorite Doom mods?

This section is intended for non-Unreal posts. Forum rules apply.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Favorite Doom mods?

Post by Leo T_C_K »

What are your favorite doom mods/megawads etc? What really surprised you? I'm talking about stuff for the classic games.

One TC that surprised myself and that I still have to finish is Batman Doom. This is a dehacked mod and works on vanilla with use of the dehacked tool or you can play it in choc doom. Most sourceports including eternity engine, prboom will horribly mangle the experience to the point of funny/unfunny.

But the real TC despite being so old had things like ladders, couple of levels had tricks including multiple floors using invisible teleporters aka a warpzone/build engine like trick, it has breaking wooden chairs, it has doors that crumble when you use them and leave sprites. Tons was modified to not behave like standard doom at all.

Therefore you can imagine how it feels to see videos of batman doom on youtube showing how broken it is if they use sourceport that can't handle it and switches stuff around.

It actually takes place during the 90s comic era right when Jean-Paul Valley took over Bruce Wayne's mantle after Bane broke his back.

Despite some comical voices and grunts it's all well done.
スマイル・ドラゴン
OldUnreal Member

Re: Favorite Doom mods?

Post by スマイル・ドラゴン »

It wasn't much of a mod but Aliens TC was something I enjoyed playing years ago. Had ambient sounds through specially hacked Things, and rather decent sprites.

There's also the commercial Hacx that I haven't played but seen videos of, looked pretty good.

The last time I played DOOM I was using a late SVN version of GZDoom and the Æons of Death mod which combines alot of different FPS game content into one huge mess. I also played alot of Ghoul's Forest 1,2 & 3.
“I am the dragon without a name.”
Ðàrk-_¦_-Ñïght.: / κυνικός Δράκων / スマイル・ドラゴン / Draco Nihil
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Re: Favorite Doom mods?

Post by Leo T_C_K »

I never played Aliens TC.

But this mod has a couple of things like that too. The quality really improves later on though with the levels being more complex and using more tricks than the first ones.

I don't like ghoul's forest 3 because of the image(s) of mutilated babies flashing on the screen etc during one point. I remember that from watching a video of it.

What's your opinion on Ghoul's Forest 4 btw?

EDIT: First level of batman doom just to demonstrate:
Last edited by Leo T_C_K on Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Anything else ?”