For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

A different nyleve

This section is intended for non-Unreal posts. Forum rules apply.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

A different nyleve

Post by Leo T_C_K »

I had a dream about a different version of nyleve, maybe from the abandoned dreamcast port or something...
but fact is it had one big difference, apart from that it contained some more detail than what the pc version could handle at the time.

It had a river part up the cliff that goes alongside the place where VR originally crashed from in one of the betas (basically where the caves are but to the side) and there was a niagara-like waterfall going down and there was a way to get up there as it was roughly the level of where the upper nali hut is, most likely from the side of that small pool up there. Who knows, maybe this was experimented with once but quickly scrapped because even plain nyleve was tasking on the processor back then.

But yea it was like...it had even loose rocks in that river, as in more spherical or oval rock brushes that you don't see much in Unreal, there was a lot of detail. A shame it wasn't in this realm though. I would have liked to play such an extended nyleve. I mean the map did change a lot throughout many of the unreal revisions in 1998 before being released so this idea is not that far fetched but it would more fit with the DC port honestly.
Victor Delacroix
OldUnreal Member

Re: A different nyleve

Post by Victor Delacroix »

Maybe you could create it?
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Maybe, after all I based isle of sharighar on a dream that I had like 5 years prior to making it but it wasn't the exact thing anyway (especially due to the time limit and it being so tasking for me to the point I almost didn't sleep to make it on time for that contest and then to only get mostly backlash is not revarding) and right now I'm not in such a creative mood given the environment I'm in.

Don't forget that I need to take long rests after any mental or physical exhaustion and it limits me, what others can do in the same time I need to rest I need to split the work into four parts sometimes or more depending on the circumstances. Some people might see me lazy for this or whatever but that's not how it is. I can't make something creative on top of everything's that's going on.
Turboman.
OldUnreal Member

Post by Turboman. »

Unreal dreams can be pretty wild yeah, often I get my inspiration from the crazy stuff that comes up in my sleep :D
I remember one dream, a long time ago, I just completed Unreal and I was delighted to find out there was an expansion known as Return To Na Pali, unfortunately at that time I couldn’t buy it with my allowance money, but seeing the box in store shelves really got my imagination running wild.
One night I was sound asleep and I had this vivid dream of RTNP (which I never played at that point), in my dreams it was just like Unreal but everything was much crazier, the insanity was cranked up by a 1000%.

I dreamt of a map in RTNP where the player returned to Nali Castle. Here you would meet an ancient prophet who lost his wife in the same castle but she was trapped in another dimension. So the player would have to go to the banquet hall (the one with the fireplace and hidden bookcase) and consume various amounts of food (just some exotic nali fruits) which caused some kind of acid trip taking the player through the castle across multiple dimensions. There would be recipe’s hidden around the castle in cryptic translator messages which were instructions on how to consume the food in a certain order to cause a certain effect.
As for the dimensions themselves, they were pretty wild. In one case the castle would turn upside down, hallways would twist around and you'd need jumpboots to get across, in another dimension all the furniture would morph into enemies, then a dimension where mirrored floors were actually a thick tar-like liquid and falling in the “mirror” would lure in loads of squids, there was a dimension where touching the wrong “color of light” would hurt you, while other colors would heal you and monsters only attacked in the shadows. Pretty weird stuff for the deepest recesses of my 11 year old mind to come up with.

Now for the funny part, for years to come I actually BELIEVED that RTNP was like that, the disappointment hit me hard when I actually played the thing years later and I found out it was nothing more but a recycled asset mappack with a bland plot arc for the base game (but it’s still pretty good as far as expansions go though).

Then a few years later I actually tried putting my dream into a map, but of course I didn’t get too far with my idea’s and settled with a pretty bland copy of the original map.
And so I present to you my own interpretation: Another Nali Castle, don't get your hopes up it's generic and bland and nowhere near the idea I envisioned when I began working on it, but then, even at this day and age I don't have the technical know-how to create even half the stuff I dreamt about back then.

On a funny side note, a few years ago I first played the first Thief game, and I was delighted to play through Constantine's mansion which is even more insane than what I came up with :D
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Turboman. wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:38 am
Now for the funny part, for years to come I actually BELIEVED that RTNP was like that, the disappointment hit me hard when I actually played the thing years later and I found out it was nothing more but a recycled asset mappack with a bland plot arc for the base game (but it’s still pretty good as far as expansions go though).
Speaking of that, did you also realize that the recycled assets part is even worse than originally thought? It contains files/scripts from two cancelled Unreal addon and an idea from yet another one...lol

*few music files from the original abandoned level pack, the twilight mix was for it for example as mentioned in the file comments, udsdemo scripts and misc from AWGD, the predator raptor creature idea from steele dawn*

mcastle was like very early iteration of firestorm i believe you told me "beached" was also part of it but you cut that map at one point before even that early 2006 beta(s) I was testing with you online.

I once made a sort of fanfic of Unreal stuff at school that featured a castle on an asteroid with some flea-like creature as the boss. The teacher didn't understand this and didn't give me a good rating over it (she was old anyways).

Return to “Anything else ?”