For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

So I heard

This section is intended for non-Unreal posts. Forum rules apply.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

So I heard

Post by Leo T_C_K »

So I heard there is a new Predator movie and they renamed it to Prey (confusing now with the game(s) isn't it?).

But my question is...

Will he make an appearance?

EvilGrins
OldUnreal Member

Re: So I heard

Post by EvilGrins »

So much wrong...
Prey is set in the past, the initial movie poster shows a Predator in the mist stalking a Native American girl with a bow.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

And? I know it is set in the past. It was codenamed Skulls before and was meant to be a surprise. But now they named it Prey, just like the cancelled game that was re-made by humanhead(former split raven).

It would be great for Tobey to make appearance though. :D
Victor Delacroix
OldUnreal Member

Post by Victor Delacroix »

EG, whenever Leo is posting or referencing a meme, you can be quite sure that the question isn't even serious.

For serious discussion of Prey or other Alien/Predator works maybe a dedicated serious thread would do.
EvilGrins
OldUnreal Member

Post by EvilGrins »

You're probably right, but in all honesty my ability to note less than serious content is sometimes hampered by how awake I am at the time.

Did I ever mention I have periodic insomnia?
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

this is going to be horseshit isn't it?

The Predator franchise can't get back up in movies it seems. Its never going to be as good as Predator one and two. I found some good things in the "fourth" one but over time its flaws are more and more apparent and they really ticked me off with all the changes and reshoots and how the ending turned out..

and now this...she looks so small and weak. She's supposed to be defying stereotypes?? Really? Is that the message? The directors don't know what female defying stereotypes look like. This is fucking insulting even to traditional feminists or whatever. What the fuck is happening?!!

This female looks delusional that's what it is, she's not the right type for this. For fucks sake...if I was in charge I'd get you a real strong female character, a real one, not some wannabe. Go fucking sick a dick hollywood, this is really making me mad now. What are they doing now?
EvilGrins
OldUnreal Member

Post by EvilGrins »

Leo T_C_K wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:12 pmshe looks so small and weak
While she's definitely small, there's nothing weak about her. She's in a tribe where women are not allowed to be warriors and she's determined to be a warrior.

She's very strong... and if you say "not as strong as a predator" you may want to keep in mind we've never seen a human that's as strong as a predator.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Victor Delacroix
OldUnreal Member

Post by Victor Delacroix »

EvilGrins wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:33 amShe's very strong... and if you say "not as strong as a predator" you may want to keep in mind we've never seen a human that's as strong as a predator.
That's actually true, just to get this out there. Most confrontations with Yautja were won by humans either due to firepower, the sting-until-it-falls tactic, ambush attacks or usage of martial arts that turn the opponent's strength against them. A Yautja can, with effort, successfully handle a Xenomorph, a creature clearly shown and described as much stronger than any human being at any point in time.

Also, whether other movies are worse than Predator 1 and 2... That's more of nostalgia talk rather than a fact-based opinion.

In my opinion, for example, Predators was a BRILLIANT installment, with all its twists keeping me as a viewer on edge constantly. I was also pleasantly surprised by Adrien Brody's portrayal of the mercenary character. I didn't know him from that side honestly. Everything the movie had going for it, the twist that all characters are worthy prey, without exception, the insanity of the survivor character, the hunting "dogs", different clans in opposition to each other (thus far shown only in other merchandise, but none of the movies), the eventual confrontations... everything seemed top notch to me. What started out as seemingly a pointless remake of P1 turned out to be a damn good flick in its own right... and I'd expect more of that setting in the future.

Overall, I need to catch up with the rest of the franchise, I'm still in need to find time to watch the extended fan-cuts of Prometheus and Alien Covenant as well as the latest Predator movie.

There were some bad ducks in the series (I'm looking at YOU, AVP and AVP: Requiem!), but e.g. Predators wasn't one... and I'll reserve my judgment of Prey until I see it.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

I'm going to be the contrarian and say that AVP:R (at least the theatrical cut, I didn't see the other cut and I don't necesarily think it might be an improvement since they altered some lore stuff there) is a better Predator movie than Predators...
Not necessarily a better Alien movie. Though I don't like their new HUD in AVP:R.

Predators still felt like a pointless remake and a lot of the other stuff that were planned were underdeveloped or just not there like that alien that was based on the original predator design (pre-release film stuff).
Predators to me always felt like a fan film and given the quality of some fan films out there it really makes sense.

Danny Trejo got not so good send-off there and while I like many Rodriguez' films I believe he shouldn't have touched Predator. It's not just a nostalgia factor really. I had someone who has never seen the Predator films before see some of them (bits of them) and he did say that the first two definitely seem like better films even though its not his thing at all...

I must say that its goot they got lawrence fishburne in though because if they followed with the original plan set for the character/casting they would have ruined it.

But..it makes no sense why would Fishburne say "turn around" and stuff like that when he was not in the first film while being invisible, some of those quotes are pure easter egg fanwank material that make no sense within the context of the movie at large. The film is also very poorly lit and under certain conditions the movie looks worse than AVP:R really...

There were more nonsensical quotes and the end credits in Predators is a killer, as in "I'd like to kill myself" when hearing that, like why would they put the helicopter radio song there...it just kills the mood and to someone not seeing original Predator and/or remembering that song played in the helicopter it's like "Why the hell this music? what is going on? is this a joke?" i sat down with someone couple of years ago and this kind of reaction happened. Really.

Also different clans and opposing predators, it also happens in "the predator" or "predator: evolution" how it was titled in some countries. And it had more "factions" that were cut from the film. I'd love to see the deleted scenes released one day so I'd compare it. I still enjoyed the film on the first viewing despite some really bad downs for me that kind of ruined the feel of the film again (the fucking ending or even some stuff leading up to it).
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

So...the movie is "out" and I think I refuse to see the full movie. I saw clips uploaded on youtube of various scenes from the film.

Everything I didn't like about predator 2018 is here and more. CG puke. Everything is CG now except for the single dog or something. Bad cinematography. Wooden acting. Out of character for Predator moments.

They just don't get it. I heard there is something in here that ties in to the gun at the end of P2. But well...the comics are more canon than this and already covered it.

This is non-canon fan-film trash again.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

This guy speaks the truth
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Maybe this seems like beating a dead horse, but I would like to nominate "Prey" the predator prequel into a new kind of award.

The Confused Travolta An(nu)al Award.

And also in separate cathegory the "Fuckin' Raw" award by Gordon Ramsey.

Apparently in the credits for this film there were several "animal trainers" credited separately for bear and whatever...

What? For the 3d animated creatures? Only the dog was real....nothing else.
*its FUCKIN' RAW!*
*RAW RAW SHIT*

Also were they making Lion Guard or something by having drawn in part credits sequence? Who is this movie for? It's so confused it doesn't know.

Trautenberg said that there would be two versions of the movie but the comanche one just ended up to be a dub-over instead of a separate take. What went wrong?

So is this for children? Why the R rating then?

Shouldn't it be N for Noone?

lol
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Okay I hate to come to my own thread changing my opinion, but I was obviously memeing too much and without actually seeing the movie.

Now I did see it proper and its not as bad as I thought. The CG stuff was at points unnecesary and I can see that originally it was indeed shot with more real creatures, in fact there are a couple of shots which are combined of practical and the computer effects. There might even be versions of the film that have it worse or better...

And I suppose i was just too disgruntled thanks to what I was going through IRL. But that doesn't excuse it.

If you take a look at it, the original predator also had a lot of nonsense (like why would the mud completely make it invisble for the predator, their thermal stuff must not be perfect just like here with those flowers). And also apparently the dog isn't that modern "breed" it was just spread around. It still has many mistakes but the mistakes don't take majority of the film and now I see it more from perspective.

There are certain things that I do believe in though and no matter where I don't find it exactly nice that humans would hunt other predatory creatures like the puma, etc.

That I would not do. It is also not for meat or survival obviously, but more for the challenge of them. I do not agree with that viewpoint. I find it myself barbaric to hunt creatures if you do not eat them. No matter who does it.

I also came back to the movie after reading some backstory from the designer of the new predator. There was an actual backstory to the creature and the changes that make sense, however its still not my favorite design at all, but at least it does make sense when you actually read the backstory.

and really, a lot of the stuff criticized was taken out of context. i'm not going to say its the best predator movie ever but its not the worst perhaps, as i feared it might be.

Return to “Anything else ?”