For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

XOpenGL OpenGL3 / OpenGL4 renderer for UnrealTournament

Questions, Tips&Tricks for the special patches
snakewarz

Re: XOpenGL OpenGL3 / OpenGL4 renderer for UnrealTournament

Post by snakewarz »

hi, this might be off related. The problem is that when i run the game on OpenGL or XOpenGL using the NVIDIA Graphics card, windows overlays stuff in the game (like a tooltip when changing sound, brightness, etc), and i believe the game is not picking the mouse input as its supposed to, whoever this doesnt happen when i run the game on the Intel Integrated Graphic Card, any idea on what might be the issue?. Thanks in advance
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

hi, this might be off related. The problem is that when i run the game on OpenGL or XOpenGL using the NVIDIA Graphics card, windows overlays stuff in the game (like a tooltip when changing sound, brightness, etc), and i believe the game is not picking the mouse input as its supposed to, whoever this doesnt happen when i run the game on the Intel Integrated Graphic Card, any idea on what might be the issue?. Thanks in advance
First thing comes into mind when this issue appears in both old OpenGL and XOpenGL is the driver. What driver version are you using? Can't remember hearing about such a problem before.
Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
Aldarith
OldUnreal Member

Post by Aldarith »

Any chance of compatibility with Rune or Deus Ex? :D
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

yes, it's portable, I'd just need more energy and time lately...
JaSpik-

Post by JaSpik- »

Hello everyone, I installed UT 469, I am using opengl. When I turn off the game, my graphic in WIN stays bad(too bright). Does any1 got any idea, how to fix this issue? It never(almost) happend with previous UT versions... Thank you
lowenz
OldUnreal Member

Post by lowenz »

Classic Gamma Correction issue :p
The task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen, but to think what nobody has yet thought, about that which everybody sees - E.S.
Eternity
OldUnreal Member

Post by Eternity »

Might be a little bug (if not another incompatibility with the PC i used for test) - misplaced draw region position after resolution increase. Maybe somebody can reproduce this...

1. Start the game in full screen mode (assume we have 1920x1080).
2. Reduce resolution in Options->Preferences->Video menu (for example to 1280x720).
3. Repeat step #2, but increase resolution (back to 1920x1080).

After step #2 draw region has proper position (in the screen center).
After step #3 draw region has improper position - shifted in the left-top direction. Apparently, its left-top corner is located somewhere at X=-640, Y=-360.
After minimize/maximize, or after switching to windowed mode and back to fullscreen - problem disappears.

Occurs with both - v436 (XOpenGL v1.1.0.1) and v469a (with latest XOpenGL).
Doesn't occur with OpenGL renderer.
Last edited by Eternity on Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sergey
OldUnreal Member

Post by Sergey »

Smirftsch

I tested this last render (1.1.0.1) ,but this  version works very poorly. The game has friezes and there is no way to turn off the Coronas. I am an experienced tester and have tested older versions of this Render....Please fix it if you can...

The  old beta version 1.0.0.9 worked better for me than the last one, but it has bugs. My video card  Nvidia GTX 1060. Unreal Tournament v 436
Last edited by Sergey on Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

Since a version of it went into 469 and 227j I didn't make updates here quite a while, I'll try to find some time.
The Darkness
OldUnreal Member

Post by The Darkness »

Sergey
OldUnreal Member

Post by Sergey »

Since a version of it went into 469 and 227j I didn't make updates here quite a while, I'll try to find some time.
Please remove the friezes. the  [ch1086]ld version 1.0.0.9 didn't have them. I'm testing the renderer in the game version 436 on Windows 7. please make it compatible with the Windows 7 and 10

Your OpenGL4 renderer is faster than directx 11 renderer. It launches the game faster and in my opinion is most preferred for windows 10. most People don't need any tessellation. Mirrored walls, HDR and and other effects heavy for a video card...I'm sure most Players need the same performance as on older  last OpenGL  renderer and the absence of graphics bugs...
May God give you health....

Last edited by Sergey on Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eternity
OldUnreal Member

Post by Eternity »

Your OpenGL4 renderer is faster than directx 11 renderer.
Could you post the link for this renderer, please?
I tested many OpenGL rendererds, but have found no one which would reach at least half of Direct3D9/10/11 performance.

Also, i noticed, original UTGLR OpenGL has excellent picture quality, but XOpenGL has some problem in this regard - colors, contrast/brightness, lighting/shadows, textures quality - look not the way they normally must look, and overall picture looks like if it has been passed through some improperly tuned up Photoshop filters. I don't know, maybe it is normal, because of those new options and effects...
Last edited by Eternity on Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

I see to make some updates soon.
As for picture quality- this is a difficult topic in any way. Over the years the people got adjusted to whatever renderer was available, more or less the same could be read back then when people switched from Glide to OpenGL/D3D.
In this section here Han made some analysis about this:
https://www.oldunreal.com/cgi-bin/yabb2 ... 1459155406

It's really hard to tell what's "wrong or right" in this regard, some settings alone make it look different in many renderers, or run it in SoftDrv, compare UTGLR GL to old original GL or D3D, grab a glidewrapper and check how it looked back then with glide :)

Newer XOpenGL may be closer to what you are used to, but I tried to make it accurate in display and not necessarily equal to older D3D9/GL, despite the fact that it may not even be possible or feasible to make it 100% matching, many things are done entirely different nowadays.
Last edited by Smirftsch on Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sergey
OldUnreal Member

Post by Sergey »

Smirftsch

List of all bugs that I managed to see (v1.1.0.1 game version 436 on Windows 7):
- After clicking on UnrealTournament.exe, a strange white window appears 2 times and only then the game starts. I haven't seen such a thing on old renderers. Maybe it is possible to remove it. Please Watch my video (white window.mp4)
download
- friezes in the game.
- you can't turn off the corona lights
-  in UnrealTournament.ini

Code: Select all

[XOpenGLDrv.XOpenGLRenderDevice]
UseTrilinear=True
ShinySurfaces=False
UseAA=False
UsePrecache=True
VolumetricLighting=True
If you change these variables, the variable values will change back after the  game restart

-next point

OpenGLVersion=Core
If you change to

OpenGLVersion=ES
then I see a completely black screen in the game. You can't play. Maybe this mode of variable is completely useless?
Last edited by Sergey on Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eternity
OldUnreal Member

Post by Eternity »

Forgotten to add - those problems are with v1.1.0.1.
With version included in v469a textures and shadows have good quality (not pixelated). The only quality-related problem in that version is the contrast - light areas are too light and dark areas are too dark. In some cases such "make-up" looks nice, in other cases not... So, yes, it is hard to make one optimal decision in this regard.

Image Image
Image Image

Also, in one map appears strange effect when using S3TC textures with XOpenGL (for comparison - with Direct3D9 and OpenGL no this effect):
Image Image Image

---

In my opinion, OpenGL in v469a gives the best looking picture, especially taking into account the color/brightness/contrast balance.
Last edited by Eternity on Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

Smirftsch

OpenGLVersion=Core
If you change to

OpenGLVersion=ES
then I see a completely black screen in the game. You can't play. Maybe this mode of variable is completely useless?
OpenGL and OpenGL ES are different things, some cards may perform better or do have better support in either of these. Why it isn't working for you now is hard to say without the logs.
However, all the things you mentioned should be fixed by now. I only need to backport it to 436 again.

Forgotten to add - those problems are with v1.1.0.1.
With version included in v469a textures and shadows have good quality (not pixelated). The only quality-related problem in that version is the contrast - light areas are too light and dark areas are too dark. In some cases such "make-up" looks nice, in other cases not... So, yes, it is hard to make one optimal decision in this regard.

Image Image
Image Image

Also, in one map appears strange effect when using S3TC textures with XOpenGL (for comparison - with Direct3D9 and OpenGL no this effect):
Image Image Image

---

In my opinion, OpenGL in v469a gives the best looking picture, especially taking into account the color/brightness/contrast balance.
Nicely worked out !
well, I do like XOpenGL the most, but I am biased anyway :D - but as said, its really a lot to what you are used to. In the beginning I liked the picture of OpenGL more too and was a bit disappointed that XOpenGL didn't look the same, but after while I got more used to it and when XOpenGL improved I more and more was satisfied with the result. Now I think its giving the best picture, but really- everyone can have his own opinion :)

The idea of XOpenGL wasn't to replace the older renderers but to have a more future proof renderer on which it is easier to work on and then also to have something capable of new features. Now with bumpmaps (well, normalmaps actually), parallax mapping and some other toys I already realized some of it (some only implemented in 227 atm). It also contains an early beta for hw lighting, which may be some day a replacement for old per vertex lights on meshes. We'll see...

Interesting effect though, will check into it.
Last edited by Smirftsch on Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Darkness
OldUnreal Member

Post by The Darkness »

XopenGL set to ES doesn't work for me, black screen. GPU is Nvidia 930.

Just found that NoFiltering = True solves the pixelated lightmap issue. ?? Is the True / False reversed in this case???

NoFiltering = True makes all weapons in first person pixelated.
Last edited by The Darkness on Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Darkness
OldUnreal Member

Post by The Darkness »

Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

interesting, it just seems that some filter is applied to lightmap which shouldn't. Going to check.

As for GL ES - the 469a build may contain a small issue yet in the shaders which prevents it from starting up, please check the logs, it will throw compile errors.
If my assumption is right, open DrawComplexSinglePass.frag which resides in System and in line 267 + 414 there is a parameter FogColor *= 2; - for ES compliance this needs to be changed to FogColor *= 2.0;
Eternity
OldUnreal Member

Post by Eternity »

I checked this option XOpenGLVersion=ES. In 2D (background picture, windows, menus) it works with no problems. In 3D appears black screen, but some objects are being drawn -  here are static picture (was no movements after first frame), and picture that appears after some movements:

Image Image

---

Forum does not allow me to add attachment here... So uploaded the log file here: https://mega.nz/file/RBYjhQ7J#PnPp84Y0l ... K-QPl4gUkw
Last edited by Eternity on Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

could you post me your current DrawComplexSurface.frag here:
https://oldunreal.com/cgi-bin/nopaste/
Eternity
OldUnreal Member

Post by Eternity »

Could not find the file DrawComplexSurface.frag, but found DrawComplexSinglePass.frag.
If my assumption is right, open DrawComplexSinglePass.frag which resides in System and in line 267 + 414 there is a parameter FogColor *= 2; - for ES compliance this needs to be changed to FogColor *= 2.0;
When replaced "2" to "2.0" in the lines 267 and 414 in this file, problem disappeared. Now picture in 3D is being drawn properly.

This is DrawComplexSinglePass.frag file from "\System\xopengl": https://oldunreal.com/cgi-bin/nopaste/?285

---

(If it would be ever possible to use a dedicated thread for the renderer it would be a huge step forward in resolving client's existing performance issues, and the renderer performance would no longer impact framerate so much. But, as far as i can understand, it seems to be impossible or complicated too much).
Last edited by Eternity on Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

yuk

Eternity
OldUnreal Member

Post by Eternity »

Found one else map with such strange effect as in DM-Phobos... In this map it is animated texture:

Image Image Image

This texture i remember from the CityIntro map, so decided to check that map and there appears same effect:

Image Image Image

This is so with default XOpenGL settings, i tried to alter some settings, but got no result yet.

This way it looks from close distance:
Image Image
On the video from close distance: https://mega.nz/file/wUomEB4K#6apLDUv2V ... WAD9aLGQN4

---

Have to add once again: this only happens when using S3TC textures instead of standard textures.
Last edited by Eternity on Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Darkness
OldUnreal Member

Post by The Darkness »

For whatever reason, PreCache causes some textures to be pixelated. It doesn't make sense, some textures lose filtering, but most of them do not. So it must affect some specific property of some textures.
Last edited by The Darkness on Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “OpenGL & D3D for Unreal & UnrealTournament”