For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Question Reguarding modern builds of OpenGL/Direct3D#

Questions, Tips&Tricks for the special patches
UTNerd24
OldUnreal Member

Question Reguarding modern builds of OpenGL/Direct3D#

Post by UTNerd24 »

So I just got a new graphics card, a GeForce GTX 1060 to be exact. I thought it would be only natural to upgrade my render as well, but I have been hesitant to. The reason being is that the mod EXU2 came with it's own modified version of OpenGL with uncapped draw distance and other features. The one I have is able to handle maps as large as G59's Atropos with minimal lag. Can the more recent builds handle such a thing? IMAGE BELOW FOR REFERENCE

[img]http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/82594465624359831/78295CB63613DE04B4C8914C9A15F7EF42885BB4/[/img]
Smirftsch
Administrator

Re: Question Reguarding modern builds of OpenGL/Direct3D#

Post by Smirftsch »

I actually don't really get the question :)

"Old" OpenGL and D3D9 are usually reaching pretty good FPS and provide more than enough FPS even on older systems and graphics cards in "real life situations" in UE1. I am not entirely sure what all they did in EXU2, it may even be that they sacrificed some performance in order to get more quality (like the uncapped draw distance).
If that is within a noticeable range probably depends on the hardware used though, so its a fair trade off for sure.

Nevertheless, we are still talking about UE1 here, which does a hell a lot of stuff in CPU yet, meaning the performance of the graphics card ain't even that important here.
That being said, there is no risk in trying to use other renderers, just backup your old one (or maybe the entire System directory) so that you can always go back again if you notice something you dislike.
If you are referring to XOpenGL, it can be applied additionally and won't affect the other renderers, it will not overwrite them. For now it's still slower in some cases on most cards, while the gap between it and the old renderers shrinks from generation to generation of graphics cards.
Performance is surely having huge importance there as well, but if being within a healthy range of FPS in all "normal" situations I am satisfied already to some degree. No one needs like 250 FPS to play.
Yet I am not done with it, but the biggest reason I wrote it was to have a more compatible solution for newer systems while also being able to improve it and realize perhaps more features based on more modern techniques. Additionally the old renderers code became pretty messy over the years too and it's not much fun anymore to change or add things especially compared to what newer GL offers.

Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
UTNerd24
OldUnreal Member

Re: Question Reguarding modern builds of OpenGL/Direct3D#

Post by UTNerd24 »

I actually don't really get the question :)

"Old" OpenGL and D3D9 are usually reaching pretty good FPS and provide more than enough FPS even on older systems and graphics cards in "real life situations" in UE1. I am not entirely sure what all they did in EXU2, it may even be that they sacrificed some performance in order to get more quality (like the uncapped draw distance).
If that is within a noticeable range probably depends on the hardware used though, so its a fair trade off for sure.

Nevertheless, we are still talking about UE1 here, which does a hell a lot of stuff in CPU yet, meaning the performance of the graphics card ain't even that important here.
That being said, there is no risk in trying to use other renderers, just backup your old one (or maybe the entire System directory) so that you can always go back again if you notice something you dislike.
If you are referring to XOpenGL, it can be applied additionally and won't affect the other renderers, it will not overwrite them. For now it's still slower in some cases on most cards, while the gap between it and the old renderers shrinks from generation to generation of graphics cards.
Performance is surely having huge importance there as well, but if being within a healthy range of FPS in all "normal" situations I am satisfied already to some degree. No one needs like 250 FPS to play.
Yet I am not done with it, but the biggest reason I wrote it was to have a more  compatible solution for newer systems while also being able to improve it and realize perhaps more features based on more modern techniques. Additionally the old renderers code became pretty messy over the years too and it's not much fun anymore to change or add things especially compared to what newer GL offers.
Gotcha. Ill give the new renders a whirl. I know EXU2 is technically UT, but its still a Single Player Campaign and I dunno where it would fit in on the UT99 forums.
Thanks anyway!

EDIT: XOpenGL works like a charm, however, due to the lack of a FPS limiter, The speeds are inconsistent. When a new version comes out, I'll give that a try.[reason]Results of the test[/reason]
Last edited by UTNerd24 on Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “OpenGL & D3D for Unreal & UnrealTournament”