logo
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Installing original Unreal (1998) on Windows 7 (Read 480 times)
swtrex

Oldunreal member

Installing original Unreal (1998) on Windows 7
Nov 25th, 2020 at 11:49pm
Print Post  
Apologies if this is covered elsewhere on the board or Wiki, but I've searched and couldn't find an answer to my question...

I'm trying to install the original (I think) Unreal on my Windows 7 PC. Running the Setup.exe (as admin) does nothing. (no messages or anything).

I successfully installed it on a Windows 10 laptop - and it runs fine. I copied the folder created at installation to my Win 7 PC, tried to run it and it asks to put the CD in the CD drive. I did, but it doesn't recognize it.

Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Steve

IP Logged

Pitbull™
Forum Administrator

Re: Installing original Unreal (1998) on Windows 7
Reply #1 - Nov 28th, 2020 at 10:23am
Print Post  
Your cd drive is bad. Replace it.

Loved by Few    Hated by Many

LOADING HATERS..████████████] 99% Complete. 
WWWGTalk  
IP Logged

swtrex

Oldunreal member

Reply #2 - Nov 28th, 2020 at 3:08pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the reply...

I can read and copy files fine from the CD drive.

I copied the entire contents from the install CD to my hard drive, and tried to run setup.exe from the hard drive version, and still could not install. Stiill, nothing happens - no messages or anything.

IP Logged

Dr.Flay™

ChaosUT-333networks

Reply #3 - Nov 28th, 2020 at 5:14pm
Print Post  
This section of the forum is for games that are not Unreal, eg. any other UE and U2 based games.
Unreal has it's own section at the top of the forum.

I don't remember if the installer need VC runtime DLLs installed, but I don't think so and you would see a fail message.

It may be the security settings in Win 7 or your AV if they are strict.
Check that Data Execution Prevention (DEP) is only enabled for essential windows programs and services.
If it is on for everything and you want it that way, add any problem EXEs as exceptions.

It is an old EXE without a certificate so cannot be authenticated.
Strictest security settings will block such files.
Check the User account controls in windows and your AV settings

IP Logged

Victor Delacroix
Betatester

Lord of the Dark Glyphs

Reply #4 - Nov 28th, 2020 at 8:13pm
Print Post  
First off, let me bust a myth for you real quick.

Unreal (1998) retail release versions 200-205 do not need to be installed in order to work properly. The main folders (Help, Maps, Music, Sounds, System, Textures) can be copied to your folder of choice (e.g. C:\Unreal ) and game can be run via System\Unreal.exe.

It can also be patched without issue, it's just that the patch installer will not detect your folder and you'll have to type it in manually.

If you'd like to run UnrealEd v1.0, you need to install UnrealEdFix4.exe (a patch which contains regular UnrealEd.exe and all its VB dependancies) and you've got that problem covered.

IP Logged

swtrex

Oldunreal member

Reply #5 - Dec 6th, 2020 at 3:20pm
Print Post  
First of all, apologies for posting in the wrong sub-forum. And thanks for the replies so far. For continuity, I will continue the thread here.

So I copied the entire CD contents to my hard drive and executed Unreal.exe from the system folder. It started reporting activity in an Unreal console window, then eventually instructed me to insert the Unreal CD-Rom into my drive - which I did. I pressed OK to continue, but it continued to give me the pop-up window instructing me to insert my CD-Rom.

My CD drive seems to work fine otherwise - copying and reading files.

I did all of the things above on a Windows 10 laptop, and everything works fine. The game recognized the CD in the drive.

Any idea why Unreal won't recognize that the CD is in my Windows 7 drive?

Thanks in advance...
SWTrex

IP Logged

Victor Delacroix
Betatester

Lord of the Dark Glyphs

Reply #6 - Dec 7th, 2020 at 4:26pm
Print Post  
There are a number of ways to handle this.

One is to crack the game which is of questionable legality in some countries still despite the general consensus being that if a CD check doesn't succeed due to system incompatibility, it should (and I think according to Microsoft it is, but I no longer have a source on that quote) in fact be legal to unprotect it.

The other way is to patch the game to 224 or above. (227 strongly recommended at that point). This gets rid of the CD check legally.

If you insist on the former, let's move this discussion over to PMs. If it is the latter (easier way tbh), then just patch up your game and be done with it.

IP Logged

Masterkent
Developer Team

Reply #7 - Dec 8th, 2020 at 9:56am
Print Post  
For versions that require CD, it's possible to specify the installation directory as the CD path in Unreal.ini:

Code
Select All
[Engine.Engine]
CdPath=<your game installation directory>

Then the game won't ask you for CD anymore.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo