Links

Tutorials

Unreal Reference

Usermaps

borderline

Contact us:
Submit News
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic New Collaborative Mapping Event at UnrealSP.org! (Read 205 times)
Stead-Z

Suffering Artist

New Collaborative Mapping Event at UnrealSP.org!
Nov 20th, 2020 at 1:56am
Print Post  
Hello all!

We have just announced the start of "The Descent", which is a fun little collaborative Unreal single player mapping event taking place from now until 1st January 2021 over at UnrealSP.org.

The idea is that everybody makes a small map "segment" (play area of 4096^3) and then at the end all of the submissions are organised into a somewhat coherent storyline complemented by beginning and ending maps built by the "curator" (me Tongue).

While the final compiled pack will be for Unreal 227, we highly encourage people of all platforms to join in - so long as you don't use anything exclusive to UT (Botpack.u) it will all be fine!

Check out the thread including the full rules, storyline and more over here:
The Descent: An UnrealSP Collaborative Adventure!

At the end of the day we just want to get creative and have some fun Smiley

Cheers,
~SZ

IP Logged

Skywolf
Betatester

Just placeholding...

Re: New Collaborative Mapping Event at UnrealSP.org!
Reply #1 - Nov 20th, 2020 at 10:45pm
Print Post  
So... like Half-Life TWHL Tower but Unreal? Sounds a like fun idea. Will see if I can find the time to dust off UnrealED and give it a shot.

How will inventory be handled? Will the player lose all equipment upon entering each new level like in TWHL Tower? Because if not each mapper has to design their level like the player could have any weapons and item in the game (including potentially sequence and game breaking items like jump boots and force fields).

I hate it when people ask me what my favorite game is. Just try to explain you're not talking about Unreal Tournament Roll Eyes.

IP Logged

Stead-Z

Suffering Artist

Reply #2 - Nov 21st, 2020 at 12:02am
Print Post  
It was in fact TWHL Tower (2) that triggered the discussion that led to this happening funnily enough! And yes, like there inventory will be cleared after each segment (a very handy trigger by ebd is included in the custom package for this very purpose) and how this should happen is up to the creative interpretation of the designer  Wink

Would be awesome to see something from you if you get the time to do it!

IP Logged

Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Soulless Automaton

Reply #3 - Nov 21st, 2020 at 10:00am
Print Post  
I remember french mappers doing something similar for UT2004: a tower with one mapper per level. After something like 12 stories, performance got so bad it became unplayable, but it was very fun to see how each level had a different theme, architecture, size, etc. Smiley

You must construct additional pylons.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo