Links

Tutorials

Unreal Reference

Usermaps

borderline

Contact us:
Submit News
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Unreal Ban Functionality (Read 388 times)
joeydonbaker
Betatester

Oldunreal member

Unreal Ban Functionality
Jul 6th, 2020 at 12:51pm
Print Post  
Hello, I'm trying to better understand the banning system in Unreal. I tried looking online for documentation and couldn't find it, forums or the wiki. Running 227j_42_update_16.

In the ban list you can specify the following items:

ClientIP=
ClientName=
ClientID=
ClientIdentNr=

IP and name are self explanatory. I'm under the assumption that ClientName is just a text identifier so you can keep track, not actually tied to the players name.

But ClientID and ClientIdentNr I'm unsure of. I remember reading online that these were generated based on the unreal game client connecting to your server and are unique to that person's game directory. Is this this the case?

I have a problem with some people that are banned that are using a VPN to change their IP. I'm wondering if I insert a ban based on those two values, will it still ban the client regardless of what IP they connect from?

IP Logged

joeydonbaker
Betatester

Oldunreal member

Re: Unreal Ban Functionality
Reply #1 - Jul 6th, 2020 at 1:53pm
Print Post  
I found this on the Wiki but I don't fully understanding the part about checksums.

In case you don't like commandlines, you can bind a key to "UShowAdminMenu" (to bind it: Set Input F8 UShowAdminMenu, or replace F8 with any key you want to use).

the bansystem includes now 3 checks:

Player IP Player IdentNr which collects one unique identify number, based on informations from the client (No information is collected from the client, just a checksum). Player Identity which collects another one unique identify number, based on informations from the client (No information is collected from the client, just a checksum). and logs the PlayerName.

The first check is pre-login, checks for the IP and disconnects directly

The other checks need the client to be logged in, but if he was banned, he will be kicked and put on tempban with IP so that the next attempt will be caught before login again.

The disconnected client gets either "You have been banned" or "You have been temporarily banned" (only for 227 clients, older clients will only get connection failure).

Banned players will be stored in Security.ini and stay there until unbanned. Tempbanned players will be banned until a mapchange or a server restart.

IP Logged

Smirftsch
Forum Administrator

Reply #2 - Jul 25th, 2020 at 7:13am
Print Post  
what part do you have trouble with?
The checksum is some sort of GUID, which allows to identify a client after an IP change.

Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
WWWICQ  
IP Logged

joeydonbaker
Betatester

Oldunreal member

Reply #3 - Jul 26th, 2020 at 2:17pm
Print Post  
Smirftsch wrote on Jul 25th, 2020 at 7:13am:
what part do you have trouble with?
The checksum is some sort of GUID, which allows to identify a client after an IP change.

I got it figured out thanks.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo