Links

Tutorials

Unreal Reference

Usermaps

borderline

Contact us:
Submit News
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic How to combine Unreal 1 into a UT installation (Read 624 times)
uji

Oldunreal member

How to combine Unreal 1 into a UT installation
May 19th, 2020 at 6:46pm
Print Post  
Hi,

I remember being able to do this in the past but I cannot remember what I need to do. From memory it works fine but the guns are updated to UT style guns.

Cheers,

IP Logged

[]KAOS[]Casey
Developer Team
Betatester

nedm

Re: How to combine Unreal 1 into a UT installation
Reply #1 - May 19th, 2020 at 7:01pm
Print Post  
you don't. there are mods to do so, but they are by far not representative of unreal 1 at all. the "creator" took great liberties in modifying how things work rather than simply allowing unreal 1 stuff to work in UT.

IP Logged

hund_schraube

point away from face and
fire

Reply #2 - Jul 3rd, 2020 at 5:03pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

Dr.Flay™

ChaosUT-333networks

Reply #3 - Jul 4th, 2020 at 1:15pm
Print Post  
It just takes a few addons for either game and a little editing of the 2 game ini files.
I mostly play UT99 in Unreal.

Turn Unreal into UT and UT into Unreal
https://ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=5540

IP Logged

Teromen

Oldunreal member

Reply #4 - Oct 13th, 2020 at 2:14am
Print Post  
Too bad the newer versions of Infiltration don't work with it Sad

That or I don't know how to do it.

IP Logged

path0gen

Oldunreal member

Reply #5 - Oct 17th, 2020 at 10:36pm
Print Post  
I wonder how bad the inaccuracies while playing unreal campaign through ut oldskool mod really are. I did it a long time ago, not sure if I've ever beaten it start to end tho, but I don't remember anything particulary offensive. What exactly makes it "by far not representative of unreal 1 at all"?

IP Logged

ividyon

UnrealSP.org Staff

Reply #6 - Oct 19th, 2020 at 1:03pm
Print Post  
The UT Oldskool mod offers a mutator and some added classes to be able to play Unreal maps in UT.

Unreal maps (before 227) are fully forward compatible with UT, but - to VERY simply paraphrase things (while omitting technical details I don't know) - UT doesn't easily let you just use the old gametypes and items. Instead, they are forcibly converted to UT counterparts, which breaks things, since UT doesn't have a single-player campaign mode out of the box, and old Unreal weapons are forcibly converted to UT weapons.

Oldskool, in turn, overrides these classes with its own (having its own version of each old Unreal weapon, and the Unreal single-player game type), and gives you a mutator which lets you *launch* those old Unreal campaigns and play them.

This is perfectly fine, by the way! Oldskool is perfectly okay for most casual playing purposes. You won't notice much difference besides your UT player model taunting on kills, a reload key for your Automag, and some other minute things.

A lot of Oldskool can even be configured; you can decide which UT weapons to override with Oldskool weapons, and which to keep.

However, this isn't "adding Unreal 1 to your UT installation" as much as a workaround to let you play the old maps.

Unreal 1 mods are still based off of the old Unreal 1 actors, so a chunk of them won't work in UT, since they'd have to be based off of the Oldskool actors instead. One would have to go and rework many of these mods to base them off of the Oldskool replacements instead of the original classes.

A true combination of Unreal and UT isn't possible, as there are engine differences between U1, UT and especially 227, and there is no true parity.

However personally, I recommend not getting too hung up on that, and just having an install of each. They're very tiny games for today's standards, and it's not a lot of effort to set them up correctly.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo