Links

Tutorials

Unreal Reference

Usermaps

borderline

Contact us:
Submit News
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Messed up textures caused by No Filtering (Read 252 times)
Piroska

Oldunreal member

Messed up textures caused by No Filtering
Apr 13th, 2020 at 4:56am
Print Post  
Can anyone help me out here? I'm using Direct3D8 as my video driver, but I'm not a fan of all those blurry textures so I use No Filtering to give the game that lovable old school pixelated look as in Software mode. Trouble is, the game gets all these squares in almost every texture
, and I've no idea how to remedy this problem (using rmode via the console can fix this but in turn it seems tp remove all lightning from the game, making it look worse). I'm not sure this has anything to do with my (NVidia) video card, but this happens with all other rendering modes as well, except Software rendering.

IP Logged

[]KAOS[]Casey
Developer Team
Betatester

nedm

Re: Messed up textures caused by No Filtering
Reply #1 - Apr 13th, 2020 at 5:25am
Print Post  
I'm afraid the current version of the renderer doesn't have the ability to _just_ turn off smoothing,  "nofiltering" isn't just turning off smoothing but a bunch of other features as well.

you'll have to use software rendering if you want it to look like that, but it may be possible to add a "NoSmoothing" feature to the renderers, since I know it has to support it due to some polyflags with "NoSmooth"

however... there is a terrible workaround...

bind a key to "set texture bNoSmooth true | set actor bNoSmooth true" with the consolecommand "set input x set texture bNoSmooth true | set actor bNoSmooth true" and press the key (x in my example) on every load of new levels.

Or if you can start a new campaign, just add this mutator:

www.klankaos.com/NoSmoothMutator.zip

You can use it from the start new campaign mutator list, or open MapName?Mutator=NoSmoothMutator.NoSmoothMutator -- You will need to place the contents into your system folder.

be warned it may slow things down a bit with extremely heavy spawning stuff like monster hunt

IP Logged

Piroska

Oldunreal member

Reply #2 - Apr 13th, 2020 at 6:32pm
Print Post  
That worked nicely, thanks. The game looks so much better now, without it it just looks plain drab, especially while outdoors and the mountains in the background look like ugly, misshapen cardboards; I honestly never figured why people found those blurry graphics so appealing. I'm replaying this game after a long, long time (now with Unreal Evolution), but seeing those blurred visuals everywhere was murdering all my enthusiasm. Thanks again.  Smiley

IP Logged

ahaigh01

Oldunreal member

Reply #3 - Apr 14th, 2020 at 12:02am
Print Post  
Have you tried the HD textures?  BTW you can switch to them and back to vanilla mid-campaign and not screw up game saves.   Smiley

IP Logged

Piroska

Oldunreal member

Reply #4 - Apr 15th, 2020 at 5:26pm
Print Post  
Wow, that looks friggin' awesome Shocked Downloading.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo