Links

Tutorials

Unreal Reference

Usermaps

borderline

Contact us:
Submit News
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Patch 227 handles Detail Textures differently (worse) than 226 version from GOG (Read 302 times)
Sinael DOverom

Oldunreal member

Patch 227 handles Detail Textures differently (worse) than 226 version from GOG
Apr 8th, 2020 at 10:29pm
Print Post  
In Unreal Gold from GOG version detail textures get layered in and are crisper than the ones after patching same game release via 227i patch.

The examples were taken from the cell wall at the start of new game, in both cases D3D9 renderer is used. OpenGL renderer on 227i has no detail texture option at all:
Here's an example of 226: 

And here's from 227i:

On 226 the detail texture is crisper and new layers are brought in as you approach, on 227i it only places one layer, and even that is not as crisp.

I prefer not to use HD texture packs for aestethic reasons, as I like result provided by detail textures way more, sadly it is not as good under 227i, and some modern mods require this patch. I'd really like to see this issue fixed.

IP Logged

Hyper
Board Moderator
Betatester

It's Unreal.

Re: Patch 227 handles Detail Textures differently (worse) than 226 version from GOG
Reply #1 - Apr 8th, 2020 at 11:54pm
Print Post  
I remember you can set the setting DetailMax to 2 to get multiple layers of detail textures.

UTGLR:
DetailMax - [Integer]
Set to 2 to enable a second detail texture layer. Set to 0 or 1 for standard one layer detail texturing if detail textures are enabled. The second detail texture layer will not show up unless SinglePassDetail is disabled.

IP Logged

Sinael DOverom

Oldunreal member

Re: Patch 227 handles Detail Textures differently (worse) than 226 version from GOG
Reply #2 - Apr 9th, 2020 at 12:55am
Print Post  
Thanks for reply.
My settings are already at those values (at least in Advanced Options).

Tried both in Direct3D9 and OpenGL. Result is the same as the image in the first post.
OpenGL had DetailMax set at 1, after setting at 2 its the same as Direct3D9.
Setting DetailMax to higher values seem to have no effect at all.

On a side note. Is there any way to disable corpse and gib removal?

IP Logged

[]KAOS[]Casey
Developer Team
Betatester

nedm

Reply #3 - Apr 9th, 2020 at 4:30am
Print Post  
And here I thought this topic would be about masking...

I can barely tell the difference between the two pictures without alternating them, there IS a difference, but it looks like the 227i pic is more "zoomed in" at first glance, only appearing to be worse

nonetheless, I can reproduce the 227i pic provided if I set detailmax to 1

detailmax to 2 looks like this on both d3d9 and ogl, which to me looks pretty similar to the unreal gold pic you provided. without a way to produce a result 1:1, i.e. a test map where you don't move from spawn, there's no real "scientific" way of doing this.

https://i.imgur.com/N6KRZYu.png

keep in mind that the OMP and original opengl drv for unreal gold are on their own different from eachother and 227i's drivers, so there may be new bugs for specific renderers.

the GPU i used to take that pic was a vega 64 from AMD, and i wouldn't be shocked if there would be a difference on an nvidia card. this isn't the first time we've had extremely minor differences between the vendors trying to make the renderers better. it may be worth trying to email chris on his website, http://www.cwdohnal.com/utglr/, to see if he knows anything about this. our renderers are based off of his work

IP Logged

Sinael DOverom

Oldunreal member

Reply #4 - Apr 9th, 2020 at 11:46am
Print Post  
You can clearly see that on Detailmax 2 between your pic and my Unreal Gold pic have more layers - look at the scratch mark on the right or a yellowish spot(rivet), there's more of smaller indents/scratches around bigger ones, I.e. there's at least one more layer on that pic.  The differences are very noticable to me and I wouldn't say that they are "extremely minor". Anyway thanks for the advice, ill try to contact utglr developer about this.

IP Logged

[]KAOS[]Casey
Developer Team
Betatester

nedm

Reply #5 - Apr 9th, 2020 at 6:45pm
Print Post  
a change in configuration from "1" to "2" [i]is[/i] extremely minor -- you can check the UTGLR src yourself. nvidia tends to gut ancient features in their GPU drivers or have lower quality with textures by default. good chance that it's the former here if you are using an nvidia gpu.

I still don't know what GPU vendor you're using, so  I can't make an assertion either way.

I did find some possibly relevant lines of code in the utglr source

[code]
     if (UseMultiTexture) {
           glGetIntegerv(GL_MAX_TEXTURE_UNITS_ARB, &TMUnits);
           debugf(TEXT("%i Texture Mapping Units found"), TMUnits);
           if (TMUnits > MaxTMUnits) {
                 TMUnits = MaxTMUnits;
           }
     }
     else {
           TMUnits = 1;
     }
[/code]

[code]
void UOpenGLRenderDevice::ConfigValidate_Main(void) {
     //Detail alpha requires at least two texture units
     if (TMUnits < 2) UseDetailAlpha = 0;

//Single pass detail texturing requires at least 4 texture units
     if (TMUnits < 4) SinglePassDetail = 0;
     //Single pass detail texturing requires detail alpha
     if (!UseDetailAlpha) SinglePassDetail = 0;

//Limit maximum DetailMax
     if (DetailMax > 3) DetailMax = 3;

return;
}[/code]

does your log say you have only one texture mapping unit on 227?

edit: uhhh bbcode formatting is broken now?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo