Links

Tutorials

Unreal Reference

Usermaps

borderline

Contact us:
Submit News
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Unreal Evolution v1.1 Release (Read 2788 times)
Silver Wolf
Betatester

Oldunreal member

Re: Unreal Evolution v1.1 Release
Reply #15 - Apr 12th, 2020 at 7:36am
Print Post  
I was on the highest difficulty, I put all the upgrades I could on the rifle and I could just gun down a Skaarj Lord or Berserker with barely any effort because of the 88 damage, recoil reduction and +80% firerate + knockback, also the fact you find the rifle earlier than usual making the ammo less rare, but that was mostly the only overpowered thing I found in the weapon upgrades to be fair

IP Logged

Shadow_Code

Oldunreal member

Reply #16 - Apr 12th, 2020 at 8:44am
Print Post  
Thanks for the feedback. I will reexamine rifle balance. Though ammo for it is rarer than other weapons (though less so than vanilla). A base damage nerf is in order I think.

IP Logged

[]KAOS[]Casey
Developer Team
Betatester

nedm

Reply #17 - Apr 12th, 2020 at 5:12pm
Print Post  
Shadow_Code wrote on Apr 12th, 2020 at 12:07am:
Again I will state that you should get to know what the mod is doing before telling me what I am supposedly doing wrong.

Sure, I can do that but --

you shouldn't need to supply a upak.u at all, and there's no way at a glance anyone could ever know it's not modified, applying occam's razor here would indicate that it is modified because why else would it be installed?

Perhaps you should understand how the game is supposed to be modded before you should be supplying critical system files which is illegal I might add, the legal requirement for the 227 patch was to create two separate installers, one for "classic" unreal, and one for unrealgold. the main difference is that upak.u and upak.dll are updated with the patch. There should be no reason to supply this file especially given that future patches will update this file and depending on the order of installation i.e. 227j and then unreal evolution, you would actually downgrade your upak to a worse, more buggy version. It's just not logical. your installer should check for the presence of upak.u and if not found, don't install it. I have confirmed that the GUID at least matches a known upak.u in addition to a SHA256 hash match so there's that. it is a legit file, although supplied for the wrong reasons.

Your edit to unrealshare.int was unnecessary and harmful to the user, since there are other mods that actually use grab as intended -- to be grab. you could have named a .int file literally anything and had two lines in to add a "grenade" command, or whatever you want. yeah, you'd have to make a custom inventory item or playerpawn with a new exec function, but you already did do that as I see you have exports for new players called "MaleTwoExt", "MaleThreeExt" etc, except you did it in the worst way possible by copypasting the same code everywhere in multiple classes -- MaleOneExt extends MaleOne, not a class with a bunch of modified base settings. yeah, what you did works, but it's also hell to update anything if something changes. You can see how UPak did this with "UPakPlayer" and "UPakHuman" etc. NaliPlayerExt and the skaarj classes don't even have a new grab function to throw grenades but that could be intentional.

Anyway, this is all you needed to do to add a new input to the menu so it could be rebound over G, with proof that it works according to the input system.

Commenting grab and replacing it with a new description was not the right way to go.

though you didn't really have any choice about renaming skill descriptions, you get that one at least. I dont really like the descriptions to begin with and it was also probably a mistake to not include difficulty descriptions in the .int file in hindsight.

but the campaign if changed to be compatible with the original maps via rename to a more sane system would need an int file with any other name other than a supplied system file with a line like this:
Code
Select All
Object=(Name=Game.Game,Class=Class,MetaClass=UnrealShare.SinglePlayer,Description="Nyleve;Unreal 1(Skip Vortex Rikers)") 

fyi: supplying a modified umenu.int and upak.u to someone on an classic unreal install will render the changes pointless since they run the original menu that doesn't actually show the uwindow interface. so if you want to complete the "supply stale packages to illegally upgrade unreal classic installs to unreal gold" you will need to supply umenu.u and change their console in unreal.ini ...

IP Logged

Shadow_Code

Oldunreal member

Reply #18 - Apr 12th, 2020 at 7:39pm
Print Post  
You're the best!

IP Logged

[]KAOS[]Casey
Developer Team
Betatester

nedm

Reply #19 - Apr 12th, 2020 at 9:38pm
Print Post  
no. not even close.

IP Logged

Shadow_Code

Oldunreal member

Reply #20 - Apr 13th, 2020 at 3:00am
Print Post  
That was sarcasm. The problem is not solved; a clean install is seemingly not possible under the rule of easy installation as you've now come to realise, and you went a step further in your asshattery.

Again, backup the system folder as instructed and there is no problem.

IP Logged

[]KAOS[]Casey
Developer Team
Betatester

nedm

Reply #21 - Apr 13th, 2020 at 4:16am
Print Post  
Wow, you're the greatest modder in the world. Doesn't care to understand how the game works, doesn't care to make a proper uninstaller, yet praises their installer as the greatest thing among mankind, illegally upgrades clients if they are not unreal gold based clients, doesn't create an uninstaller yet expects their users to backup the system folder, doesn't add a disclaimer that online play will be broken if they join coop servers and could potentially get them autokicked or autobanned, as well as not being future proof for newer versions of 227 due to the fact that you will intentionally just overwrite upak.

Again, just don't be an idiot and there won't be a problem.

IP Logged

[]KAOS[]Casey
Developer Team
Betatester

nedm

Reply #22 - Apr 13th, 2020 at 4:23am
Print Post  
also, a clean installer is possible, if you don't overwrite any existing .int file, losing descriptions changing on the campaign is a bummer for sure though. the only other work you'd have to do is rename maps to something like ${MAPNAME}_UEV and the teleporter urls to match the new ones so you dont *have* to edit unreal.ini with the new paths, thus eliminating the need to backup the system folder. it would be a one time permanent install that doesn't alter any stock files, only add new ones to add unreal evolution to the start new game menu.

i've been trying to help you here and provided all the information you need but.. oh well.

EDIT: it is possible to override the UMenu.MenuBar's GameUMenuDefault in unreal.ini to a new menu subclass so you can change the skill descriptions only for your campaign. It's also likely possible to override the OptionsUMenuDefault for the same thing with dodge, but I don't know if dodge operates differently with your pawns or not, I just saw the description change in the .int you'll have to be as minimal as possible in edits since I hear 227j has a lot of umenu updates and it might break, which wouldn't be your fault anyway

IP Logged

[UDHQ]Jackrabbit

ROLE=Role_Critical

Reply #23 - Apr 13th, 2020 at 10:02am
Print Post  
The DjT of Oldunreal modding  Cool

IP Logged

Smirftsch
Forum Administrator

Reply #24 - Apr 13th, 2020 at 12:31pm
Print Post  
Shadow_Code wrote on Apr 13th, 2020 at 3:00am:
That was sarcasm. The problem is not solved; a clean install is seemingly not possible under the rule of easy installation as you've now come to realise, and you went a step further in your asshattery.

Again, backup the system folder as instructed and there is no problem.

First off, pretty everyone playing Unreal is always happy about new content like yours and I have seen very little complains about the mod itself.
What people dislike is that your mod obviously does unwanted changes which can be very troublesome for people not knowing how to revert them if not reinstalling the entire game - and even for people who do it's additional unwanted and unnecessary work.

Honestly- would you want some random mod modify your installation? Breaking online functionality, replacing files, changing vital ini settings and maybe even more things nobody knows if not checking every file by file?
The definition of that behavior is MALWARE and absolutely unacceptable. And don't get me wrong here- I didn't and I don't say it is, but it behaves like that.

Also you have been told that UPak should not be included for various reasons, there are different versions out there bundled with different patches in 224, 226 and 227 and a bunch of custom fixed up versions, there is no single "Vanilla" version- and the original Upak.u's are bound to a dll so your version can't be any of these.
Many people (including me) are also sure that including it is a violation of the copyright as well as you have been already told too. Granted, I am no lawyer and although it is usually accepted and not having any legal effect that modified original maps are included in map packs/mods, the original UPak wasn't bound for fun with a dll and many of the original files are also flagged as "not downloadable" by Epic for good reason. I am responsible by law for the content being distributed here- I think there is no need to explain what this means.
Edited:
I just checked, it is the 227i one you use, but on non gold Unreal versions it will crash on some places without the dll then.

Your point of having an easy and working installer is one of the very best arguments one can have- but absolutely no reason not to fix and change the things mentioned and therefor not valid. Besides, an exe file can trigger antivirus software and to offer a .zip file with some simple install instructions shouldn't be a problem either for people not willing to execute some random .exe file.

That being said, you shouldn't be surprised about the reactions from the people here and considering this they have been more than diplomatic and calm.
You have been given a lot of advice what and how to change everything easily with little work but instead of showing some insight you go rampage and start to harass people- what do you want to archive with that?
With that kind of attitude many people are just pissed off instead of wanting to play your mod, so please, don't take everything as an attack toward you or your work but listen.
I'm sure you spent many many hours to create your mod so why not taking a few minutes and clear the mentioned things instead of lamentating.
« Last Edit: Apr 13th, 2020 at 1:35pm by Smirftsch »  

Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
WWWICQ  
IP Logged

Kajgue
Global Moderator
Betatester

Super-sexy-Kung-Fu-H
obo-sunva-bitch

Reply #25 - Apr 13th, 2020 at 9:36pm
Print Post  
Right.

Shadow_Code wrote on Apr 12th, 2020 at 12:07am:
Again I will state that you should get to know what the mod is doing before telling me what I am supposedly doing wrong. There is no "mystery" custom upak.u. that's vanilla, so it's not causing any harm. Why does it exist? You don't know, yet you see fit to come and spout bullshit.

This mod isn't for you if you can't follow simple instructions that clearly states all you need to do is backup System to avoid any compatibility issues. It takes zero time and effort to do so.
I am aware there are compatibility issues if you do not follow my instruction. It's the price to pay for having a one-step install.

Thanks for the clarification, but there's honestly no reason for this kindof attitude.

I've had to remove the download link for the time being until the issues of the presence of upak.u from 227i (which is official content like you said), as oldunreal does not permit the sharing of official content that would otherwise need to be paid for.

Please rectify these issues within the download, otherwise we may not allow this to be linked to oldunreal. None of this is intended to be a personal attack, please calm down.

AKA - ( T : S : B ) Ice-Lizard

Whistleblower Ted Gunderson
IP Logged

OmegaNexus

Oldunreal member

Reply #26 - Nov 13th, 2020 at 12:54am
Print Post  
I loved your mod. The idea of ​​bringing improvements to all weapons through powerups, was a very fun detail, it encourages a complete exploration of the maps.
I modified your mod myself, especially Dispersion Pistol. I increased the damage of the last 2 Powerlevel Powerups (65 and 85 respectively), and turned the automatic firing module into a charge module.
Now the module instead of reducing the damage to 30, and increasing the firing rate, it increases the speed of the charged shot projectiles according to the powerlevel (now the charged shot, has the same speed as the normal shot), increases the charged shot damage according to each powerlevel (at maximum load, the damage is equivalent to 7 normal shots per powerlevel). To compensate, the ammo expenditure for each second of charge, increased according to the powerlevel (example: In Powerlevel 1, each second of charge consumes 2 ammunition from the Dispersion pistol).

I was already forgetting, with this module, to hold the charge indefinitely, as long as you have enough ammunition up to the maximum charge.

Now the Dispersion Pistol's secondary fire mode has finally become useful, especially over long distances.

Anyway, thanks for creating this mod.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo