Links

Tutorials

Unreal Reference

Usermaps

borderline

Contact us:
Submit News
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Massive FPS drops when more enemies present in 1 place (Read 216 times)
This is my Screen name

Oldunreal member

Massive FPS drops when more enemies present in 1 place
Mar 15th, 2020 at 9:34am
Print Post  
Hi guys, First I want to thank you all who participates for this project as I am a huge Unreal fan and I am very happy that I can play this game on and on with your patches and mods.

However I have switched to newer PC Rig and started to encounter some weird issues like occasional micro stutter and now it looks to me that FPS are dropping massively when I have 3 and more enemies in one place. Good example is to use a ghost cheat and look on the whole map and U see those frame drops. On my old rig I could play with no issues and it was smooth experience (while using BAU gameplay with no cheats - However using a GHOST cheat and checking the map I had the very same experience of frame drops). I tried every possible option under advanced settings. Tried to set everything to low, tried every possible NVidia driver tweaking and nothing helped.

When I see no monsters in map I can use ghost cheat, check the whole map and have high FPS and no frame drops at all.

1 enemy: 143 FPS
2 enemies: 80 FPS
3 enemies: 60 FPS

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X
GPU: RTX 2070 Super
RAM: 16GB 3600MHz
Monitor: G-Sync Compatible 1440p 144Hz

Using OpenGL rendering in game.

IP Logged

.:..:
Board Moderator
Developer Team

Re: Massive FPS drops when more enemies present in 1 place
Reply #1 - Mar 15th, 2020 at 10:19am
Print Post  
Disable dynamic shadows, as they are a bottleneck for the performance.

Shivaxi wrote on Jul 25th, 2013 at 12:50pm:
...and now im stuck trying to fix everything you broke for the next 227 release xD Tongue

(ಠ_ಠ)
IP Logged

This is my Screen name

Oldunreal member

Reply #2 - Mar 15th, 2020 at 10:40am
Print Post  
Holy smokes it worked. Not sure however if this is what you thought I should do: "Advanced Options -> Decals -> Pawn Shadow and I set that to 0". So sad that even modern HW cannot perform nice looking shadows without impact. But my question still remains that why is that, that on my older rig it worked flawlessly while playing BAU and on modern rig it cannot handle that. Settings were the very same, its just different hardware and OS.

Old Rig:

CPU: Intel i5-4670K
GPU: AMD R9 380
RAM: 16GB 1800MHz

Any recommendation how to tweak settings so that I can use shadows while having FPS on check?

IP Logged

Hyper
Board Moderator
Betatester

It's Unreal.

Reply #3 - Mar 15th, 2020 at 7:42pm
Print Post  
This is my Screen name wrote on Mar 15th, 2020 at 10:40am:
Holy smokes it worked. Not sure however if this is what you thought I should do: "Advanced Options -> Decals -> Pawn Shadow and I set that to 0". So sad that even modern HW cannot perform nice looking shadows without impact. But my question still remains that why is that, that on my older rig it worked flawlessly while playing BAU and on modern rig it cannot handle that. Settings were the very same, its just different hardware and OS.

Old Rig:

CPU: Intel i5-4670K
GPU: AMD R9 380
RAM: 16GB 1800MHz

Any recommendation how to tweak settings so that I can use shadows while having FPS on check?

The problem is not with your modern hardware. The problem is with the old game engine.
The dynamic shadows are rendered in software because this was the only way to make this feature available without a big rendering engine change for which was no development capacity/priority.

So, it is just a dirty hack. Disable it to regain your performance.

IP Logged

This is my Screen name

Oldunreal member

Reply #4 - Mar 15th, 2020 at 8:09pm
Print Post  
Greetings and thank you for your advice and explanation regarding this matter. My questions are however, if there is an answer to it at all:

1. How come that it worked better on older PC rig than on the new one?
2. Why bother with shadows at all if it makes such an impact?
3. Isn't there any option at all to tweak it to gain at least minimum settings without impact?

IP Logged

Hyper
Board Moderator
Betatester

It's Unreal.

Reply #5 - Mar 16th, 2020 at 7:50pm
Print Post  
This is my Screen name wrote on Mar 15th, 2020 at 8:09pm:
Greetings and thank you for your advice and explanation regarding this matter. My questions are however, if there is an answer to it at all:

1. How come that it worked better on older PC rig than on the new one?
2. Why bother with shadows at all if it makes such an impact?
3. Isn't there any option at all to tweak it to gain at least minimum settings without impact?

1. In the old, original patches, this option simply was not here.
2. I was not there where the decision as made about this, but I guess it is nice to have the option for the ones with very powerful CPU's and users who like to play with the settings.
3. You can change the pawn shadow settings from none to blob to realtime low, medium and high res and use the option that fits your performance. Personally i don't bother with it and just set it to off/none.

IP Logged

This is my Screen name

Oldunreal member

Reply #6 - Mar 16th, 2020 at 9:18pm
Print Post  
1. OK I understand, however the funny stuff is that I made upgrade from old to new rig while still playing it and thus using the very latest patch 227i and just performed a copy/paste of the game so that I could finish it. Could be the issue an AMD instead of Intel CPU?
2. OK noted. Will wait until after somebody can tweak/optimize it OR wait another decade to use it Smiley
3. In Advanced settings I have nothing like what you mentioned. Please check the link with screenshot and my options I have currently available:

https://postimg.cc/k2YtrxtH

IP Logged

Hyper
Board Moderator
Betatester

It's Unreal.

Reply #7 - Mar 17th, 2020 at 2:52pm
Print Post  
It just is in the normal game menus, using the umenu interface. (The Unreal Gold/TRNP style window menus)

IP Logged

This is my Screen name

Oldunreal member

Reply #8 - Mar 17th, 2020 at 3:34pm
Print Post  
Ou I forgot that when I started my playthrough I switched to old looking Unreal menu. I found it there and had to set it to "None". Curious thing is that the more demanding option is the most stable and less I go, then I see poorer experience. Nevertheless it's working now as expected and will wonder why it was better on my old rig. Or maybe with the upcoming Unreal Redux it will be gone for good...maybe Smiley
Thanks again for your time and explanations.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo