Links

Tutorials

Unreal Reference

Usermaps

borderline

Contact us:
Submit News
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic "Net stutter" - graphical stuttering related to netspeed - has been driving me crazy for 10 years (Read 195 times)
dizzy

Oldunreal member

"Net stutter" - graphical stuttering related to netspeed - has been driving me crazy for 10 years
Mar 7th, 2020 at 2:38am
Print Post  
I've had "net stutter" on UT for the best part of a decade and it's driving me absolutely insane.

It looks and feels a lot like what happens if you play with an uncapped high frame rate (like 300FPS+) but this issue is happening even though I'm using a frame rate limit and/or VSync.

Most importantly: it is not a problem if I play offline. In single player, my game performs 100% fine.

It's almost certainly related to netspeed or UT's netcode because it's fine on some servers (like UK Insta, which uses ACE and NewNet) but not on others (like my own BunnyTrack.net which does not use ACE or NewNet due to incompatibilities with the BunnyTrack gametype).

Is there a way to fix this without a server installing ACE/NewNet/etc.?

My normal setup:

• Windows 7 64-bit
• GTX 1080
• 165Hz monitor
• VSync disabled and GSync enabled
• Running D3D9 renderer with a 180 FPS cap

If I uncap the FPS I reach 800+ FPS and the game goes insane.

I have tried:

• Different renderers: D3D10, D3D9, D3D, OpenGL, XOpenGL etc.
• Different frame rate caps (100, 150, 180, 200 etc.)
• Different netspeeds (lower netspeeds like 5000 do reduce the stuttering but make me unable to connect to Nexgen/ACE/etc.)
• Disabling/Enabling VSync/GSync/ULMB etc.

I've even tried changing my Linux server settings but this didn't help, and other people don't seem to experience the problem.

Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tu6hFJNstZ4

Any ideas?

IP Logged

blackmane

Oldunreal member

Re: "Net stutter" - graphical stuttering related to netspeed - has been driving me crazy for 10 years
Reply #1 - May 6th, 2020 at 11:41pm
Print Post  
Dizzy!

IP Logged

TehSpoopyKitteh

Oldunreal member

Re: "Net stutter" - graphical stuttering related to netspeed - has been driving me crazy for 10 years
Reply #2 - May 7th, 2020 at 2:00pm
Print Post  
dizzy wrote on Mar 7th, 2020 at 2:38am:
I've had "net stutter" on UT for the best part of a decade and it's driving me absolutely insane.

It looks and feels a lot like what happens if you play with an uncapped high frame rate (like 300FPS+) but this issue is happening even though I'm using a frame rate limit and/or VSync.

Most importantly: it is not a problem if I play offline. In single player, my game performs 100% fine.

It's almost certainly related to netspeed or UT's netcode because it's fine on some servers (like UK Insta, which uses ACE and NewNet) but not on others (like my own BunnyTrack.net which does not use ACE or NewNet due to incompatibilities with the BunnyTrack gametype).

Is there a way to fix this without a server installing ACE/NewNet/etc.?

My normal setup:

• Windows 7 64-bit
• GTX 1080
• 165Hz monitor
• VSync disabled and GSync enabled
• Running D3D9 renderer with a 180 FPS cap

If I uncap the FPS I reach 800+ FPS and the game goes insane.

I have tried:

• Different renderers: D3D10, D3D9, D3D, OpenGL, XOpenGL etc.
• Different frame rate caps (100, 150, 180, 200 etc.)
• Different netspeeds (lower netspeeds like 5000 do reduce the stuttering but make me unable to connect to Nexgen/ACE/etc.)
• Disabling/Enabling VSync/GSync/ULMB etc.

I've even tried changing my Linux server settings but this didn't help, and other people don't seem to experience the problem.

Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tu6hFJNstZ4

Any ideas?

Set minimum desired frame rate to 60FPS, then disable precaching.  Set the Frame Rate cap no higher than 120FPS and make sure your monitor is running UTGOTY at 60Hz.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo