Links

Tutorials

Unreal Reference

Usermaps

borderline

Contact us:
Submit News
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic DM-RMC-CrossInfestation (Read 249 times)
Feralidragon
Betatester

DM-RMC-CrossInfestation
Jan 19th, 2020 at 11:49pm
Print Post  
This map was essentially created for the Ridiculous Mapping Contest currently going on at ut99.org (by Evilgrins).

Download (alpha version): http://www.mediafire.com/file/8u5ijiu05l6l945/DM-RMC-CrossInfestation-Alpha.zip/...

This was a relatively quick map that I made, which is not meant to be a conventional DM (honoring the contest spirit and requirements), so the gameplay will differ a bit from what you might expect, both movement and weapon-wise.
Bot-support is minimal, given the nature of the map, but I have made sure to at least make the bots and monsters fight each other (unlike their default behavior).

Screenshots:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/nxpN1br-U5OQ4Mv1kjGh8AUlUpt-rxOFPFMVcnzDFKSvT2...

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/QTUqJVRzoqcy7T8pvprIXoqLEancrPquusMlmwFbHCHC4F...

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/kra_MxKQ-g80kXsQN7lpvvU2hsfVLB2Fh9f0R2DeKWn0j1...
« Last Edit: Jan 20th, 2020 at 10:50am by Feralidragon »  
IP Logged

Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Soulless Automaton

Re: DM-RMC-CrossInfestation
Reply #1 - Jan 20th, 2020 at 1:13pm
Print Post  
As I have said in a convoluted way on UT99.org, I like it, it looks cool and the concept is fun.
No idea how it's supposed to work, though, it's crazy.

You must construct additional pylons.
IP Logged

Feralidragon
Betatester

Re: DM-RMC-CrossInfestation
Reply #2 - Jan 20th, 2020 at 4:35pm
Print Post  
I actually had this concept in mind for while, although instead of this small kind of map, I had more of a long "free fall through different dimensions with obstacles" kind of idea, almost like a racing gametype.

I did try to toy with the concept last year, to validate how it would play and such, and the thing is, in U227 it plays out wonderfully, like I imagined, but in UT99 it gets all sorts of rendering issues, because of the warp zones and the rendering distance limit from the existing renderers, so I kinda gave up on it for the time being (maybe if v469 fixes these).

In this case, I made a small and indeed "crazy" version of what I had in mind.
In this version the players aren't free falling, so you can only control movements side to side (up to what the air control setting allows you to), which is not as great as what I wanted to do.

As for the gameplay, I have tweaked the zones, kickers and such, so that in the end the speed would be neither too fast nor too slow to handle, and in such a way that different weapons will react differently to the zones, allowing a different kind of gameplay without changing the weapons themselves.

Namely, the biorifle gel and rocket launcher grenades go faster than players when shot, meaning that these are the weapons and modes to use to shoot enemies directly ahead of you.

The ripper blades and rocket launcher normal rockets are best used shot backwards (and are extremely effective), although you have to be careful with the blades since you can headshot yourself by accident.

The flak cannon is a special weapon in which the secondary projectile goes at the same speed as the players, but as such is useful to shoot enemies behind you, but not directly behind you but near the walls (if you shoot them behind you but in an angle, the projectile will make a curve, and hit players nearby and or walls near them hitting them with splash damage).

Whereas the primary mode (shotgun-like) is good to damage players really close to you.

So the gameplay in this map becomes quite interesting.
If players were able to move upwards and downwards it would be a lot more fun and challenging (maybe I could write a mod to make it possible, but didn't feel like it this time around).

I have personally played a lot of games in this map since it's quite fun to use the standard weapons in slightly different ways, and making all sorts of trick shots with the gravity, kickers and warpzones.  Grin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo