Links

Tutorials

Unreal Reference

Usermaps

borderline

Contact us:
Submit News
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic UT99 unresponsive to brightness/gamma adjustment (Read 488 times)
effEX

Oldunreal member

UT99 unresponsive to brightness/gamma adjustment
Jan 7th, 2020 at 11:48pm
Print Post  
Hey,

I've searched as far as I can, but haven't found any real fixes for this issue.  My situation:

1. I installed the game from GoG

2. I downloaded the cwdohnal openGL renderer, installed it as my main gfx renderer

3. The game is too dark

4. attempting to use f11 displays text showing brightness levels, but no actual change to the game's visuals occurs. 

5. attempting to use the gamma offset feature in either preferences or the game's main .ini does nothing.

6. I've attempted to use other renderers, but while their brightness is higher they have their own issues: the d3d10 & 11 ones seem to be locked to 60hz; the XopenGL version runs too fast and I'm not going to play UT of all games with vsync. 

If anyone can help me out, it would be much appreciated.  On another PC I've run the game with the openGL renderer and been able to use the gamma offset to improve the brightness, but on my new PC I'm having no luck at all, it seems. 

Cheers

IP Logged

medor
Betatester

Oldunreal member

Re: UT99 unresponsive to brightness/gamma adjustment
Reply #1 - Jan 8th, 2020 at 8:07am
Print Post  
At UnrealTournament.ini
in your setting part used render

GammaOffset=0.3

and for your captures
GammaCorrectScreenshots=True

IP Logged

effEX

Oldunreal member

Reply #2 - Jan 8th, 2020 at 10:20am
Print Post  
Thank you for the reply.  However, as I said in the original post, that function is doing nothing for me.  The gamma is not being adjusted.  There is no change in what I see on screen the next time I boot up, regardless of what I set the GammaOffset to be, whether that's 0.3, 900.0, or -0.5. 

I'm adjusting the GammaOffset directly in unrealtournament.ini under the OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice subheader, as well as in the advanced menu options accessed via typing "preferences" in the console, again under the OpenGL renderer location.   
« Last Edit: Jan 8th, 2020 at 1:49pm by effEX »  

IP Logged

Nighthawk
Betatester

Oldunreal member

Reply #3 - Apr 24th, 2020 at 8:17am
Print Post  
effEX wrote on Jan 7th, 2020 at 11:48pm:
Hey,

I've searched as far as I can, but haven't found any real fixes for this issue.  My situation:

1. I installed the game from GoG

2. I downloaded the cwdohnal openGL renderer, installed it as my main gfx renderer

3. The game is too dark

4. attempting to use f11 displays text showing brightness levels, but no actual change to the game's visuals occurs. 

5. attempting to use the gamma offset feature in either preferences or the game's main .ini does nothing.

6. I've attempted to use other renderers, but while their brightness is higher they have their own issues: the d3d10 & 11 ones seem to be locked to 60hz; the XopenGL version runs too fast and I'm not going to play UT of all games with vsync. 

If anyone can help me out, it would be much appreciated.  On another PC I've run the game with the openGL renderer and been able to use the gamma offset to improve the brightness, but on my new PC I'm having no luck at all, it seems. 

Cheers

I had the same annoying issue.

TL;DR:
Tried OpenGL but couldn't overcome brightness, despire author hack. Given up and switch back to D3D

I use all my life in D3D9 because it always felt better to me.
After installing Windows 10(and NVidia 1030) I open UT a D3D9 stopped working well and felt to weird.
I tried D3D10 and D3D11, but the Windows + Game felt very laggy and mouse movment was very fuzzy. Also FPS were terrible despite i tried shit load of settings.
So beloved D3D9, D3D10, D3D11 with other players settings + video render default setting, did not help.

I switched to OpenGL, both 36 and 37, and the experinces and quality is really top notch. BUT and it's a BIG BUT, the lightning was TOO DAMN DARK, i searched the internet and all i can find is people saying the same, and for some people the author suggested hacks, with "SetGamma" many variations did not helped at all. And it was still very problematic.

I finally given up on OpenGL, and switched but for D3D10 i was determined to make it happen, so after feeling like d3d10 was very funky and laggy, i tried doing something very simple like lowering resolution and BAM my problem of sluggishness and mouse leggy finally fixed.

IP Logged

coolcock

Oldunreal member

Reply #4 - Apr 25th, 2020 at 7:03am
Print Post  
I had the same Issue for a while. However for me it occured with a windowsupdate. I don't know if it was related to the GPU Driver (AMD) as well. However the issue is gone since disabled "fullscreen optimazions"  for the UnrealTournament.exe (right click, compatibility..) and upgraded to the latest AMD  Drivers. Also make sure that you use the 3.7 enhanced openGL driver (you might have downloaded the 3.6 version instead).
http://www.cwdohnal.com/utglr/utglr37.zip

But i'm pretty sure it was related to the fullscreen optimization, so i'd try disabling that first.

IP Logged

effEX

Oldunreal member

Reply #5 - Apr 25th, 2020 at 9:06pm
Print Post  
I should update this topic I guess:

I switched to the D3D9 driver, which has fixed the issue for me. 

Silly, I never tried it initially, skipping straight to D3D10 and 11 drivers which were missing critical (for me) features like being able to change the refresh rate, and I didn't think the earlier renderer would have them either. I'd always seen people simply recommended the OGL one, so I never gave the other any attention. 

Alas, upon giving it a chance, I found cwdohnal's d3d9 renderer has all the features his OGL one does and the gamma + brightness settings actually work... so it's best of all worlds, really.  It even has fewer bugs: I'd get occasional texture artifacting in some areas on some maps with OGL, but that doesn't seem to happen nearly as much when using d3d9.

Shouldn't even be mentioned, but for the sake of it: in raw terms it's slightly less performant than the OGL one, but that's totally irrelevant for actual play.  Frame times are excellent and stable (unlike XOGL), and I can cap to 150 without the lag that comes with vsync or external FPS cap software.  Typical uncapped FPS is 400+ on my system. 

For me, the D3D9 renderer is a flawless option for a vanilla UT99 experience.  I highly recommend it.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo