Links

Tutorials

Unreal Reference

Usermaps

borderline

Contact us:
Submit News
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) OldUnreal takes over maintenance of the Unreal Tournament code base (Read 13468 times)
Dr.Flay™

ChaosUT-333networks

Re: OldUnreal takes over maintenance of the Unreal Tournament code base
Reply #15 - Oct 3rd, 2019 at 5:09am
Print Post  
Fair points Gopo
I can easily contextualise my suggestions into enhancements or bug fixes.

Bug: Decals don't work in all mods, and lags the game when lots are in use.
Fix for both issues is available and would be appreciated built-in.
(This will increase compatibility if anything)

Speaking of compatibility I fear we will face the inevitable problem of the UT server world and few admin will bother updating. Doubtful any current 436 servers will update.
People are going to have to pester admin as much as possible (if they can find them).

IP Logged

BaTHuK

Oldunreal member

Reply #16 - Oct 3rd, 2019 at 6:46am
Print Post  
Hello, that's great news. Thanks for your work.
As I know devs are collecting ideas for a new patch.
We have got one idea for many years already.
Competitive ictf players especially from ut2004 and ut4 ask for bright skins in ut99.
I know there is a tweak for that which is illegal according to the old CB rules.
Is that possible to create a server side mutator which will allow players to use or not to use bright skins while playing?
@OwYeaW tried to do that as i know

IP Logged

Malevol3nt
Betatester

Oldunreal member

Reply #17 - Oct 5th, 2019 at 4:43pm
Print Post  
anth wrote on Sep 27th, 2019 at 12:27pm:
Dear OldUnreal and Unreal Tournament communities,

Wow, that is pretty great news!

Is there a plan to fix the crosshair scaling issue on high-resolution displays? Over the years, I've had the same problem on many machines. When the in-game resolution is high (think 1920.1080p or more), the crosshair appears scaled up and blurry.

There are ways to work around this, some monitors have built-in crosshair display support, for example. But it's not the best option as this puts the crosshair permanently on screen until it's manually removed.

Anyway I wish you guys the best of luck! I wish I could see UT's codebase one day, I'm a developer too. Cheers!

IP Logged

medor
Betatester

Oldunreal member

Reply #18 - Oct 6th, 2019 at 8:36am
Print Post  
Malevol3nt wrote on Oct 5th, 2019 at 4:43pm:
Dear OldUnreal and Unreal Tournament communities,

Wow, that is pretty great news!

Is there a plan to fix the crosshair scaling issue on high-resolution displays? Over the years, I've had the same problem on many machines. When the in-game resolution is high (think 1920.1080p or more), the crosshair appears scaled up and blurry.

There are ways to work around this, some monitors have built-in crosshair display support, for example. But it's not the best option as this puts the crosshair permanently on screen until it's manually removed.

Anyway I wish you guys the best of luck! I wish I could see UT's codebase one day, I'm a developer too. Cheers!

Quote:
Include inbuilt crosshair scaling window would be nice without ace (optional thing), i have created the window for my server, if someones wants that feel free to ask me, i will give the source

https://ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=13572&hilit=deepu&start=15

IP Logged

papercoffee

coffee addicted !!!

Reply #19 - Oct 15th, 2019 at 12:35am
Print Post  
Ok ...for me, and I know it's a little bit selfish, needs the behaviour of Portals be fixed. Not in the game but the Editor. (well yes there as well)
It's always a pain in the butt to adjust the portal sheets in an exact way just to get them to work and when you screw this up it won't work or worse your map is corrupted.

What also is a huge problem hit-scan weapons through portals. I don't know if this is doable without breaking something. But for a lot of effects it would be needed.

IP Logged

Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Soulless Automaton

Reply #20 - Oct 15th, 2019 at 10:55am
Print Post  
papercoffee wrote on Oct 15th, 2019 at 12:35am:
Ok ...for me, and I know it's a little bit selfish, needs the behaviour of Portals be fixed. Not in the game but the Editor. (well yes there as well)
It's always a pain in the butt to adjust the portal sheets in an exact way just to get them to work and when you screw this up it won't work or worse your map is corrupted.

In my experience, all problems with warpzone portals come from alignment and can be easily identified with the right texture choice.

papercoffee wrote on Oct 15th, 2019 at 12:35am:
What also is a huge problem hit-scan weapons through portals. I don't know if this is doable without breaking something. But for a lot of effects it would be needed.

Since this has been made possible in Unreal, I don't see why it wouldn't be possible in UT. I'm looking forward for this too, it always limited the great potential of warpzones.

You must construct additional pylons.
IP Logged

papercoffee

coffee addicted !!!

Reply #21 - Oct 16th, 2019 at 1:08am
Print Post  
Hellkeeper wrote on Oct 15th, 2019 at 10:55am:
In my experience, all problems with warpzone portals come from alignment and can be easily identified with the right texture choice.

And that alignment sometimes even fails. If you use special kind of shapes for the portal sheets it's a play with the fire...
Maybe you remember my Gravity Mayhem map?
https://ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13015&p=108773

https://ut99.org/download/file.php?id=9083&mode=view
https://ut99.org/download/file.php?id=9084&mode=view

Yes, this map consists nearly only of portals. And what also is a bummer the relevance from one object in another room won't be transported into the next. Sound will never travel through a portal.

IP Logged

Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Soulless Automaton

Reply #22 - Oct 16th, 2019 at 11:21am
Print Post  
Obviously with very complex portal angles, you end up with alignment which are very hard to understand. Maybe that's the root of the problems you had?
The relevance problem is a big problem obviously, I didn't test it in 227, I can't tell if a workaround has been implemented, but the trace weapons firing through the warpzones is the main issue IMO, so I can't wait for it to be added. If sounds and such could be made to work too that'd be great.

You must construct additional pylons.
IP Logged

rdy2bz
Betatester

Oldunreal member

Reply #23 - Oct 19th, 2019 at 6:22am
Print Post  
Yes! Keep an eye on this forum. We will be needing Mac and Linux testers soon.

I can help you test the Linux release. Is there anything available yet?

alone alive again

IP Logged

[]KAOS[]Casey
Developer Team
Betatester

nedm

Reply #24 - Oct 19th, 2019 at 6:28am
Print Post  
Sounds through portals is a bit harder... it uses VSize(source.location-listener.location) to determine how far away you are, and it's simply not aware of the "real" distance between a portal that makes the visual distance between point A/B extremely small, but in world coords is hugely different. I don't know if they solved this for unreal engine 4, or if warpzones even still exist. The source code for UE4 is literally just online waiting to be read, so if it's fixed it can be backported.

IP Logged

Mootangclan

Oldunreal member

Reply #25 - Oct 20th, 2019 at 10:35am
Print Post  
rdy2bz wrote on Oct 19th, 2019 at 6:22am:
Yes! Keep an eye on this forum. We will be needing Mac and Linux testers soon.

I can help you test the Linux release. Is there anything available yet?

I would also like to put my hand up to help out with this!

IP Logged

xan1242

Oldunreal member

Reply #26 - Oct 20th, 2019 at 1:01pm
Print Post  
Awesome news!

I'd be willing to test in any OS, including Mac or Linux.

YouTube  
IP Logged

AntiSol
Betatester

Hunam

Reply #27 - Oct 20th, 2019 at 1:50pm
Print Post  
OMG OMG OMG.

I just heard about this. It's something I've been hoping for for years. It's been steadily getting more and more difficult to keep the old builds of UT running on Linux over the years, mostly due to the OSS dependency. Hopefully we'll also see a 64 bit build? That will become more important With distros like ubuntu dropping 32 bit compatibility.

I would love to help out with testing on Linux and I may also be able to help out in other ways. Please send me a PM and we can talk about ways I may be able to help Smiley

IP Logged

Cerberus

Oldunreal member

Reply #28 - Oct 20th, 2019 at 2:02pm
Print Post  
Time to get the R710 out of the mothballs, and start lighting a fire under the Kore Gaming community to refresh their installations.

We've been looking for an excuse to get back into 99, you just gave us one!

IP Logged

RushPL

Oldunreal member

Reply #29 - Oct 20th, 2019 at 8:35pm
Print Post  
What some of you may have already suspected or heard through the grapevine can now finally be announced. The OldUnreal team has reached an agreement with Epic games to take over maintenance of the Unreal Tournament code base. I will be joining this effort along with a few other members of the OldUnreal developer team.

Hey Anthrax, long time no see Smiley

Wow - this news is beyond amazing. Seriously congratulations on being persistent and thanks to Epic for letting this project get off the ground. To be honest I have given up almost all hope of ever getting back to UT. UT4 experience burned me out.

Do you have an IRC/Slack/Discord channel where you guys discuss code?

I would be happy to help with C / C++ / cross-platform development. I am familiar and have developed against SDL2 in the past. I have been writing C++ code professionally for quite a while now. Another ideas for help - setting up CI or helping with any server/hosting related stuff.

PS. I am also thinking of reviving https://ut.rushbase.net and/or redoing the UTLauncher I built for UT4 to work for UT99 (with latest patches, once it's released)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo