Links

Tutorials

Unreal Reference

Usermaps

borderline

Contact us:
Submit News
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Returning to Unreal after 12 years (Read 265 times)
Woolie Wool

Oldunreal member

Returning to Unreal after 12 years
Sep 3rd, 2019 at 11:44pm
Print Post  
I've been on a retro FPS kick, and after playing Amid Evil, Dusk, and Ion Fury back to back to back, and after playing some of Project Warlock, I wanted a change of pace. Not something different, just...a little different. Something less frenetic, with more atmosphere and exploration.

So I decided to play Unreal. And I've hardly been using my AMD Athlon XP-based retro PC, so I decided to put it to work. No texture mods (not that a GeForce FX can handle a scene 2048x2048 textures anyway!), Glide emulation, 640x480 on my CRT, the whole retro shebang. I got up to ISV Kran Deck 4 before giving up on that experience because the Glide emulation was so slow. Fortunately I managed to configure the OpenGL driver to look more or less like Glide (16 bit color, all the palette options, 16 bit textures) and the rest of the game ran smooth as butter.

Having never gotten that far into RTNP before, I decided to try RTNP Ultimate Edition, and after getting up to Velora Cellars, the entire thing so far (except the Prometheus segment, that was great) feels like the B-reel of the original Unreal, especially with the additions from the beta. These maps were cut from the final game for mostly good reasons--they're either like the maps that did make it but less inspired, or seemingly endless indoor dungeons that would have been better off as Quake levels. It also lacks the sense of progression that Unreal did, the facade of a journey melting away to reveal a bunch of video game levels. Not what I come to Unreal for.

So since 2007, what new long-form campaigns have come out? I played Xidia, ONP, Seven Bullets, and Gryphon Revisited back in the day (Seven Bullets was by far the best, though I cheated...I should give it another go at some point, but after I get better at Unreal), but I'd really like to try something more recent (hopefully the Athlon will run it!).

IP Logged

TONI-M

Oldunreal member

Re: Returning to Unreal after 12 years
Reply #1 - Sep 4th, 2019 at 1:26pm
Print Post  
Hi, for more new what do you mean? different or current?

Search for this post:
...and now?
TONI-M

IP Logged

Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Soulless Automaton

Reply #2 - Sep 4th, 2019 at 9:00pm
Print Post  
You should check Shivaxi's WTF series and Sinistral's Unreal Forgotten. The first one I didn't play but I heard good things about. The second one I found to be immensely enjoyable as it captured a lot of what made Unreal such a great game; atmosphere, grandeur, variety...

You must construct additional pylons.
IP Logged

SteadZ

UMS Captain

Reply #3 - Sep 4th, 2019 at 10:51pm
Print Post  
Absolutely most definitely check out JazzyB's "Project Xenome" (Parts 1 and 2 released with a 3rd in the works). It uses the same game base as Operation Na Pali only with a much more sensible storyline and a consistent level of (high) map design quality.

Other than that there's not much in the way of large campaigns, but you should check out Turboman's "Triamid Ruins" map,"The Fifth Vortex" by Doublez-Down and Teridax - and also "Resurgence" by those same 2 plus some friends (released in Alpha stage but hopefully should have another release in the not too distant future!)

This website is very useful also:
https://unrealarchives.com/

Hope this has been of use to you!

SZ

IP Logged

Woolie Wool

Oldunreal member

Reply #4 - Sep 5th, 2019 at 5:08am
Print Post  
I'll check out Xenome soon. I already looked at Resurgence but I've set it aside from now because I will have to install Unreal on my main rig to play that mod because the Athlon delivers unplayable framerates. I decided to plunge into Xidia on Medium and while it's kicking my ass all over the place, I am making progress with the help of my friends F6 and F7. I'm not sure which are worse, the trooper Skaarj who can one-shot you with flak or eightballs, or the praetorians who can go from maximum flak grenade range to RIP AND TEAR YOUR GUTS range in about a quarter of a second. And your guts will indeed be ripped and torn, with haste.

And the second episode has Unreal Tournament bots...

These maps look and feel creepy and oppressive, and while I find the sudden and ignominious deaths a bit frustrating at times, the combat at least makes me feel Jones' position, in enemy territory, alone against creatures faster and stronger than him, more than any mainstream game would dare. Xidia makes Unreal into a goddamn survival horror game and it works.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo