Links

Tutorials

Unreal Reference

Usermaps

borderline

Contact us:
Submit News
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Columns that I DISAPPEAR (Read 617 times)
TONI-M

Oldunreal member

Columns that I DISAPPEAR
Mar 14th, 2019 at 1:53pm
Print Post  
Slowly I learned the use of the Unreal 2.1 editor and I made 2 levels that I will make available to everyone if you want. I realized that the columns disappear from a certain perspective ... the computer, me or the editor?

IP Logged

Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Soulless Automaton

Re: Columns that I DISAPPEAR
Reply #1 - Mar 15th, 2019 at 12:46pm
Print Post  
This is a common problem, some geometry might disappear from certain angles. This is caused by problems in your brushes: either the scene is too complex, or your geometry is not very well made. A number of things might cause the issue. If you can make the map available for download or post a screenshot of the scene in the editor, we might tell you the most probable cause. Smiley

You must construct additional pylons.
IP Logged

TONI-M

Oldunreal member

Reply #2 - Mar 15th, 2019 at 5:17pm
Print Post  
Thank you very much:
1 - For Kindness
2 - For the Answer

Error in the brushes I do not think because I have repeated the procedure several times and in doing so new level.

Error in my geometry I tell you the truth I don't know: I don't know if the blue can be directly combined with the Yellow; but I did the 2 steps
that is joined blue and yellow and not united blue and yellow. The same does it. It is a temple to God Rabit. I think maybe it takes some declarations that I don't know yet
Since 2001 I have been sharing with Ureal, but for 4 months I have given myself thanks to DIO to the editor because I'm having a lot of fun. The Map
made by evaluating your beautiful things ... your work.

Toni Morace. Acireale Catania Sicily.

Sorry but it is translated with Google I understand almost nothing ....

The map number 3 is ready, the number 2 almost ... right now I'm placing the pupa as pointed from the roofs ... the number one will be a beautiful monastery in octagonal style ... the number 4 will be the three maps to retrace ahead and back with 2 endings ... I don't know how to do it: Put screenshots or publish I have to translate everything in real time ...

Hello and thank you so much ...
« Last Edit: Mar 16th, 2019 at 10:44pm by Hellkeeper »  

IP Logged

Buster
Global Moderator

Reply #3 - Mar 15th, 2019 at 5:50pm
Print Post  
It could be that there's a problem caused where the column touches the floor (surface). This can happen with other things, too, like lamp posts and ladders, etc. One way to help prevent this is to not have the column touch the floor. If the point of contact is not at eye level the player will not be able to readily notice a 1 unit gap.

For example:

You have a wide hall with a ceiling height of 512 units. Make the columns 510 units tall. There will be a 1 unit gap between the columns and the floor/ceiling. With the right textures and lighting it won't really be noticed, and any weird BSP cuts will be eliminated.

Another way could be making the columns non-solid brushes with an invisible collision hull to block the player/weapon, etc. That is, if the columns are part of the game play or just decorations.

Just a few ideas. Take a look at the map in BSP view and see if there's any problems with the cuts where the columns meet the floor.

Gatherstone - Unreal by Design
https://gatherstone.oldunreal.com

OK - he falls
Keep it Unreal !!
Smiley_~
IP Logged

TONI-M

Oldunreal member

Reply #4 - Mar 15th, 2019 at 6:44pm
Print Post  
Very kind Buster. Thanks for the tip ... I'll use it.
In the third level where I encountered this problem because it is full of octagonal columns since it is a temple dedicated to the Goddess (Cow) MUUU (in honor of the beautiful Déjà Vu - Gryphon Revisited levels that I translated all in Italian with Google ...) In the third level I cheated by turning everything to Mover ... by chance, however, I put Minimize Cuts to 0 and Ignore Portalis to 0 and there is everything ...

But it doesn't work with all the columns ... Unfortunately I am afraid of doing damage and I have been using the editor for 4 months ... thank you ... If you can explain me how to make the publication of the levels possible ... because this game I want to dedicate to all those who have been entertaining me for years with their levels.

I think that when I use the editor well ... apart from what is natural the problems will disappear.

Thank you very much...

Buster Excuse me so much ... what will have arrived to you translated ... also my fault ....

Toni Morace.

Slowly I learned the use of the Unreal 2.1 editor and I made 2 levels that I will make available to everyone if you want. I realized that the columns disappear from a certain perspective ... the computer, me or the editor?

I add to the post, that on certain occasions the disappearance of the column opens a trail in the wall and we see the upper floor because the level I have structured it in floors.
« Last Edit: Mar 16th, 2019 at 10:46pm by Hellkeeper »  

IP Logged

Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Soulless Automaton

Reply #5 - Mar 16th, 2019 at 11:14am
Print Post  
I received your map by e-mail, I believe the reason why you have problems like this is obvious:

- Your map is large. There is a lot of things, so it becomes more and more complex as you add brushes.

- You have a lot of solid brushes, especially a lot of stairs. If you turn your stairs into semi-solids, you will make the map lighter for the engine and you might have less problems. I invite you to do a little research on semi-solids. I don't know if there's a lot of information in italian on the subject, but there's some information here in french or here in english.

- Your map is not zoned! This means all the map is loaded as a single block. You will make everything better by zoning your map. See this article about how zones can help you speed up your map. This should also make the situation better.

- A lot of your brushes are not snapped to the grid. This creates problems in the long run as more and more invisible small errors add up and create issues like the one you have.

I hope this helps and I hope you understand everything. Smiley

IP Logged

TONI-M

Oldunreal member

Reply #6 - Mar 16th, 2019 at 11:38am
Print Post  
Dear Buster the cuts it seems to me are both on the ground and the sky. If I don't optimize, does the geometry still happen?

Dear Hellkeeper, I built the Map just by looking at the footage of how things fannom in English on youtube. Thanks to them I understood what I could understand. I downloaded Lupo's complete guide from the OldUnreal site; gold I know because it serves ZoneInfo. Thank you very much. I'm sorry for the trouble. No it has no problems the Map3 which is the one I sent you because they were all resolved by the editor setting it to Minimize cuts to 0 and also the other parameter to 0. Unfortunately with the map2 it doesn't work. because the temple of the Rabbit is even more complex. Thank you very much. I will listen and I will treasure your words.-

Soon I'll finish putting skaarj and others in level number 2. I double-checked all the brushes in the rabbit temple. The columns were made with the calculator and perfectly touch the floor and the sky of the room and in all the three visions are perfectly aligned. but unfortunately from a certain angle they disappear. A clue: The PlayerStart is positioned very high, when I fall to the ground it turns red because I am injured and from a certain angle the column where it touches the sky becomes red Semi-disappeared.

The first floor of level 2 - Vandora's Atrium - Ancient Vandora is almost up ... I've placed spiders and more. The second floor that looks like a maze of rooms and corridors ... even I can hardly get out of it studied to make people go crazy ... Levels designed to thank all those who have been entertaining me for years ... one of this is the author of the Shartakita tower ...
« Last Edit: Mar 16th, 2019 at 10:45pm by Hellkeeper »  

IP Logged

Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Soulless Automaton

Reply #7 - Mar 16th, 2019 at 5:41pm
Print Post  
TONI-M wrote on Mar 16th, 2019 at 12:12pm:
No it has no problems the Map3 which is the one I sent you because they were all resolved by the editor setting it to Minimize cuts to 0 and also the other parameter to 0.

This works but this is not a good thing to do because you still have a massively imbalanced geometry, making the entire map prone to errors. In plain words, it works because it tells the game engine not to bother trying to tidy things up. But this is a bad habit.
The problems would probably be resolved by snapping your geometry to the grid as much as possible and especially by zoning the map. The absence of any zoning means your map has no optimization and this is a bad thing. Though today's computer don't need the map to be optimized to run the game fast, it helps tidy up the geometry, minimize cuts going everywhere and having a bad influence on very distant parts of the map, etc.

Even if your brushes were made with the calculator and are pefectly fitted to one another, the fact they are not on the grid means more error in the end, as BSP Cuts will spread around the map, won't fit with each others, will create very small polygons and will in the end create problems such as disappearing geometry, wrong zone assignation, etc. This is important.

IP Logged

TONI-M

Oldunreal member

Reply #8 - Mar 16th, 2019 at 6:09pm
Print Post  
.... Too bad Unreal is written in C ... I could help if in VB
Toni-M

IF Unreal = Vb Then
    msgbox = "A ..."
else
     msgbox = "B ..."
End if

.... Using Unreal Editor is fun ... the code is already in the objects, nice was if it was like this when I enjoyed writing some program

Toni-M

Very kind and nice Hellkeeper is true.
Map number 2 is no longer so. Sorted well, in the grid too ... I just went crazy to figure out what the grid was for. Now everything is nice clean the ugly objects to call them so are like one.

Anyway thank you very much for your addresses that I was already reading. I still fail to learn how to build the ground well because if it is not a level that I consider beautiful, nothing is done about it! Soon I'll send you a picture of level 2

At the end of the levels ... I will put a special dedication to you and how many years I helped myself in a Translator sms hidden in a Mover.

But did you like the level?
« Last Edit: Mar 16th, 2019 at 10:43pm by Hellkeeper »  

IP Logged

Buster
Global Moderator

Reply #9 - Mar 16th, 2019 at 8:14pm
Print Post  
Hellkeeper gave some great observations and tips. I, too, got the email of screenshots, and agree with Hellkeeper. Snap brushes to grid, use semi-solids, and zone areas will help a lot. From what I saw in the screenshots the map looks pretty good.

Smiley

Gatherstone - Unreal by Design
https://gatherstone.oldunreal.com

OK - he falls
Keep it Unreal !!
Smiley_~
IP Logged

Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Soulless Automaton

Reply #10 - Mar 16th, 2019 at 10:51pm
Print Post  
TONI-M wrote on Mar 16th, 2019 at 6:09pm:
Anyway thank you very much for your addresses that I was already reading. I still fail to learn how to build the ground well because if it is not a level that I consider beautiful, nothing is done about it! Soon I'll send you a picture of level 2

Mapping takes a lot of time to learn. Learning how to make things pretty and correctly takes even more time. Keep trying and learning, it will come naturally. Smiley

TONI-M wrote on Mar 16th, 2019 at 6:09pm:
But did you like the level?

To be honest, I did not play it, I simply opened it to look at how it was made, as I was pretty sure of what I was going to find, and I was right: brushes off the grid, zoning problems, etc. These are the common causes of the problem you encounter so I only opened the level to confirm what I suspected.

On another subject, I remind you that you have a "Modify" button above all your post and you should use it to expand your posts instead of posting 2, 3 or 4 short posts in quick suggestions. I just merged all your consecutive posts into a few large ones and basically halved the number of posts in the topic. It's much easier to read.

IP Logged

TONI-M

Oldunreal member

Reply #11 - Mar 17th, 2019 at 10:58am
Print Post  
Dear Friends Hellkeeper en Buster, I always liked Unreal ... Finished the game ... and now? in the magazine, where I bought the game, there were also expansions ... after those for years I could no longer play Unreal well; the graphics card .... but I also have + or - another 70 and 100 games. All the Unreal Tournaments all! Installed the updates from OldUnreal I returned to the game; I looked for expansions ... but they were in English. With a bit of good flight thanks to GOD ... I translated them all into Italian ... and I had fun with the expansions ... meanwhile I was looking for strings with the editor to translate the levels I thought now let's see a little ... with a little good will and youtube I tried to learn ... I want to make a map to dedicate to all those who made me have fun with them ... this is my intention ... then to put them in downloads with permission from the OldUnreal site if they want and to entertain everyone.

.... Not 7 bullet operation Napali or else it cost me a lot of work ... but the chronicles of ... that contains hundreds of strings. I translated them all ... + or - a year of translations ...

... if someone wants them I'll give him the translations ... + o - I tried to be very strict, I didn't put anything but the truth .... After translating with Google I retranslated them with other translators ...
Hi everyone.

The map, I had revisited it, centering everything and aligning better ... but as soon as I had the build ... the columns disappear ... as soon as there was not a column that disappeared I didn't touch anything and left everything how it is now. I have other much more precise versions of the map ... they are with the defect of the columns. Do you think I even rebuilt it for the tournament ... How did the defect disappear? Columns turned into Mover and Minimize Cuts at 0 and another parameter at 0 ...
I created the columns again with the Semisolid Pilar option ... but still nothing ...
Confident that when I learn better it won't do it anymore.

... Time I didn't lose by remaking the map for the Tournament ... now I can use those weapons ...

In level 2 where I centered everything to perfection ... maximizing the grids ... I only needed to put 4 ZoneInfo and Build at both 0 to make any defect disappear, I think ... I'll have to try better though
Leaving the 4 ZoneInfo I will turn everything to Semisolid Pilar. I'll do this as soon as I finish putting the Tentacles on the roof for ambushes ... and pinning the Krall in the corridors with the task of going back and forth ...

... I placed almost all the protagonists, changed their lives and their qualities making them very aggressive. Aguati, ambushes and more ... Soon I will have to do what I consider most difficult ... to invent a beautiful story BELIEVABLE .... TRUE. SEE .... then I will turn to Semisolid Pilar and I will do the level test ... from all possible and imaginable angles ... Let's see ... I hope not to bore you with what I write ...

.. I have just placed the metal gates with a counter and a homework assignment ... you don't leave if you haven't cleaned the area ... the weapons won't be free ... but you will have to want them ...

All counters have been set, the movers set. I just have to write the messages and balance the weapons ... according to twenty-year experience, they should be put in almost after you have been killed ...

Excellent explanation of the portal zones ... both the load on the Unreal engine and on the CPU decreases. But! must be done by those who have adequate knowledge is clear. Since today we have very high power cpus and a drop in performance and 0, it is good to leave it to the editor. Even if you let someone work for nothing and how to keep the toothache by having the sachets. But if you don't have gastritis ....

Excellent the semi-solid, to lighten the load to the engine and the processor, but in areas where the player does not collide .... pillars with very high base ... my pillars unfortunately touch the ground and are a fundamental part of the map .... already tested the semi-solid transformation with:
Semisolid pilar; but the problem persists. However I add that in some areas it has solved the problem. I ask anyone who wants to answer me: In addition to Semisolid Pilar, should we make any other additional statements or something else like WaterZone?
I examined the map of a very good author who uses the pillars; his were turned into yellow, made them part of the room. I will try to do so too ... let's see if I can ... I'll read the semisolid theory much better.

I add to clarify that the event does not always occur. Why in the temple of Vandora which has different sizes does not.
« Last Edit: Mar 18th, 2019 at 10:40am by Hellkeeper »  

IP Logged

Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Soulless Automaton

Reply #12 - Mar 18th, 2019 at 10:41am
Print Post  
12 posts in a row? Are you mad? Are you actually insane?

I merged everything into a single message. Next time I'll just delete everything past the first post.

Regarding your columns: the columns themselves are probably not the only source and cause of the problem you have, this kind of issue is caused by the general configuration of your level, you would need to improve the geometry everywhere.

Quote:
I ask anyone who wants to answer me: In addition to Semisolid Pilar, should we make any other additional statements or something else like WaterZone?

I don't understand the question. What do you mean by additional statement?

IP Logged

TONI-M

Oldunreal member

Re:
Reply #13 - Mar 18th, 2019 at 12:14pm
Print Post  
.... The level is over. Balanced weapons that do not ruin the next level. As a level it is challenging. I had so much fun...

The last level will be the sum of the three levels that can be explored from the third to the first .... A tribute to Davide M - Strange World

I just have to put messages. Good morning everyone who by chance will read.

T. M.

IP Logged

TONI-M

Oldunreal member

Re: Re:
Reply #14 - Mar 18th, 2019 at 12:17pm
Print Post  
I don't understand what it means ... Can't you write like that?
AND HOW THEREFORE?
Hello

The things I write do not always correspond to what I write. Translation mismatch. So I have to rewrite them to prevent someone from getting offended. Only this and nothing else. Yes yes, it is true and in the fourth level I will see the third ... but when I understand what to do ... first I have to read the articles you suggested. Thanks again. I will use change instead of quotas.

Toni M.

I ask anyone who wants to answer me: in addition to Semisolid Pilar, should I make other additional statements or something else like WaterZone?

There are statements after creating the pillar with Semisolid Pilar.
Maybe this was the thing you didn't understand. Hello. Other except this nothing.

YES! Without Zone, I realized that in the dark with the big torch there are drops of fps ... my pc is nice big ...

I read the whole article of the Semi-Solids, very useful but they should be known to use well ...
In the article I found something that served to plug a hole in the wake
ForceViewZone

Thanks again.

« Last Edit: Mar 18th, 2019 at 2:06pm by TONI-M »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo