Links

Tutorials

Unreal Reference

Usermaps

borderline

Contact us:
Submit News
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) [227i/j] Can't have multiple environment-mapped textures on a mesh (Read 950 times)
Gizzy
Betatester

Oldunreal member

[227i/j] Can't have multiple environment-mapped textures on a mesh
Jan 26th, 2019 at 8:13pm
Print Post  
Some models I've been porting from Half-Life have (in the original game) some reflective-looking surfaces, similar to the bMeshEnvironmentMap flag in Unreal.

This flag seems not be taking effect when setting it in the meshes properties as seen below, where I've set bMeshEnvironmentMap to True for material groups 1, 2 and 3.  The textures in this case for the Crossbow model are Gordon's glove, the crossbow lens and front section

I've noticed that when using the mesh browser in 227j to set this flag, it seems to display correctly in software rendering, but the textures appear black when using OpenGL.

Software:

OpenGL:

In game, the material groups with the bMeshEnviromentMap flag set appear to fall back to Engine.S_Weapon, regardless of the renderer I use. Changing the MultiSkins of the weapon doesn't seem to do anything either.

Reproducible on 227i and the latest j build.
« Last Edit: Jan 26th, 2019 at 11:45pm by Gizzy »  

IP Logged

.:..:
Board Moderator
Developer Team

Re: [227i/j] Can't have multiple environment-mapped textures on a mesh
Reply #1 - Jan 27th, 2019 at 4:22pm
Print Post  
By default Unreal Engine 1 forces all env-mapped textures to use Actor.Texture value. For 227 we added a variable to force it to use the assigned skin as env mapped texture: Actor.bRenderMultiEnviroMaps
Change it to True for your weapon and it should be alright.

Shivaxi wrote on Jul 25th, 2013 at 12:50pm:
...and now im stuck trying to fix everything you broke for the next 227 release xD Tongue

(ಠ_ಠ)
IP Logged

Gizzy
Betatester

Oldunreal member

Reply #2 - Jan 28th, 2019 at 11:50am
Print Post  
Hey dots thanks for this, surprised I didn't notice it before! I did a quick test this morning before work so apologies if there's something else obvious I've missed.

I've set this and it seems to work in Software mode (like in the mesh browser)

Using OpenGL it shows black textures this time, as it did in the mesh browser view when using ogl there

I'm at work atm but Ill check a few other things when I'm home

Had no luck with any renderers other than software when I turn this option on for the weapons Sad
« Last Edit: Jan 28th, 2019 at 10:29pm by Gizzy »  

IP Logged

Dr.Flay™

ChaosUT-333networks

Reply #3 - Jan 29th, 2019 at 5:30am
Print Post  
You may want to double-check your extended renderer options by opening the advanced options window in the View menu.
I have had similar issues when OneXBlending, SinglePassDetail and UseMultiTexture are not set correctly.

IP Logged

Gizzy
Betatester

Oldunreal member

Reply #4 - Jan 29th, 2019 at 6:48pm
Print Post  
Dr.Flay™ wrote on Jan 29th, 2019 at 5:30am:
You may want to double-check your extended renderer options by opening the advanced options window in the View menu.
I have had similar issues when OneXBlending, SinglePassDetail and UseMultiTexture are not set correctly.

I initially thought it was UseMultiTexture - seems however when UseHardwareClipping is set to False, it actually works!! Thanks for the pointers both Smiley

Now to actually work on these...

IP Logged

Smirftsch
Forum Administrator

Reply #5 - Jan 30th, 2019 at 6:33am
Print Post  
Gizzy wrote on Jan 29th, 2019 at 6:48pm:
I initially thought it was UseMultiTexture - seems however when UseHardwareClipping is set to False, it actually works!! Thanks for the pointers both Smiley

Since this is a performance critical setting, what version are you on currently and what renderers are affected?

Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
WWWICQ  
IP Logged

Dr.Flay™

ChaosUT-333networks

Reply #6 - Jan 30th, 2019 at 9:22am
Print Post  
Yay, glad we got a solution, and something for Smirtsch to look into.
I will also remember to change the clipping option next time I see it. Possibly it may allow more freedom with the other 3 switches.

It is always worth using the advanced options window to tweak the renderer settings because they happen live and you see the changes, though sometimes in UEd you have to move the view a little to make it update.

IP Logged

Gizzy
Betatester

Oldunreal member

Reply #7 - Jan 30th, 2019 at 6:39pm
Print Post  
Dr.Flay™ wrote on Jan 30th, 2019 at 9:22am:
It is always worth using the advanced options window to tweak the renderer settings because they happen live and you see the changes, though sometimes in UEd you have to move the view a little to make it update.

Whilst flicking through the rendering options, I did have Unreal running windowed next to it so I could see the changes. Some changes did need me to go back to fullscreen to take effect which was confusing though!

Smirftsch wrote on Jan 30th, 2019 at 6:33am:
Since this is a performance critical setting, what version are you on currently and what renderers are affected?

This was using j_39 with Opengl. Seems it works as-is with no ini changes in software rendering and d3d8/9 at least. XOpengl shows black textures like Opengl did originally

If it helps, UseHardwareClipping isn't an option in d3d or XOpengl and I didn't see any performance drop (AMD FX-8350, GTX 970, 8GB ram)

Also minor bug report: When clicking "Reset to default" in OpenGL's advanced options, it didn't seem to reset UseHardwareClipping as it doesn't appear to be listed in default.ini under [OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice] (Assuming that's how resetting it to default settings works)

IP Logged

Dr.Flay™

ChaosUT-333networks

Reply #8 - Jan 31st, 2019 at 12:58am
Print Post  
Hmm yeah the default.ini is missing lots of updated settings for new renderers.
I create a new set of renderer defaults each time I update them or add a new 1.
Bit of a pain but worth the convenience.
Just delete the renderer section or just the contents of the renderer section in Unreal.ini, then access the advanced setings window from either the game or UEd and toggle 1 of the options in the changed renderer. This should write all the contents of the renderer ini lines at the default values (apart from the 1 you toggled, so toggle it back)
Copy the new lines to the defaults file.

Glad you reminded me Gizzy
*cough*
Smirftsch could we have a function added somewhere so we can generate new defaults easier ?

IP Logged

Smirftsch
Forum Administrator

Reply #9 - Jan 31st, 2019 at 8:58am
Print Post  
Gizzy wrote on Jan 30th, 2019 at 6:39pm:
This was using j_39 with Opengl. Seems it works as-is with no ini changes in software rendering and d3d8/9 at least. XOpengl shows black textures like Opengl did originally

Can you give me a small example of this for me to test with? Would make fixing more easy for me.

Gizzy wrote on Jan 30th, 2019 at 6:39pm:
If it helps, UseHardwareClipping isn't an option in d3d or XOpengl and I didn't see any performance drop (AMD FX-8350, GTX 970, 8GB ram)

There is this option for XOpenGL it's just called UseHWClipping there. It's existing for D3D9/OpenGL and XOpenGL, so it should be tested in each. What it does is to batch single calls to one bigger call, so that instead of like 1000 calls of 1 Poly it's 1 call with 1000 Polys.
This is mostly of advantage for rendering (static) meshes and makes a huge gain in performance in situations where these are used more often (or when using more complex meshes). This difference is even bigger in XOpenGL, because modern GL suffers even more from this "single call" behavior the UEngine1 is using, but even for the old rendevs it definitely makes a difference.

Dr.Flay™ wrote on Jan 31st, 2019 at 12:58am:
Hmm yeah the default.ini is missing lots of updated settings for new renderers.
I create a new set of renderer defaults each time I update them or add a new 1.
Bit of a pain but worth the convenience.
Just delete the renderer section or just the contents of the renderer section in Unreal.ini, then access the advanced setings window from either the game or UEd and toggle 1 of the options in the changed renderer. This should write all the contents of the renderer ini lines at the default values (apart from the 1 you toggled, so toggle it back)
Copy the new lines to the defaults file.

Glad you reminded me Gizzy
*cough*
Smirftsch could we have a function added somewhere so we can generate new defaults easier ?

Uhm...what's missing there? Indeed I made  a complete new default setup for XOpenGL lately so that it checks and fills in all needed defaults if not there, but for the others I think it should be easiest to plain update Default.ini accordingly.

Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
WWWICQ  
IP Logged

Gizzy
Betatester

Oldunreal member

Reply #10 - Feb 1st, 2019 at 9:32pm
Print Post  
@Smirf, sent you a PM

This was tested in j_39.

Works in D3d9, regardless of UseHWClipping setting
Only works in OpenGL & XOpenGL when UseHWClipping = False (Black textures otherwise)

As for the default setting not setting properly, modifying default.ini like the below should fix that:
Code
Select All
[OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice]
UseHardwareClipping=True 

Dr.Flay™ wrote on Jan 31st, 2019 at 12:58am:
*cough*

You can click "Reset to default" in the advanced properties window, simple enough I think Smiley

If there's other defaults missing as you mentioned, it might be handy to post them here so smirf can update default.ini

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo