Links

Tutorials

Unreal Reference

Usermaps

borderline

Contact us:
Submit News
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Who did you play your very first Unreal game as? (Read 2217 times)
hund_schraube

point away from face and
fire

Re: Who did you play your very first Unreal game as?
Reply #15 - Oct 29th, 2018 at 6:05am
Print Post  
Gina of course  Cool

IP Logged

Smirftsch
Forum Administrator

Reply #16 - Dec 3rd, 2018 at 8:47am
Print Post  
I wish I could remember. Torturing my brain for quite a while with little success, I think it was Female2, Red.

Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
WWWICQ  
IP Logged

wfank30

Oldunreal member

Reply #17 - Dec 3rd, 2018 at 6:27pm
Print Post  
Smirftsch wrote on Dec 3rd, 2018 at 8:47am:
I wish I could remember. Torturing my brain for quite a while with little success, I think it was Female2, Red.

OMG thanks for commenting, its always an honor to receive a comment from you! 😎 And yeah its hard to remember such after all these years, the only reason i remember Warrior (Male 3, T-Blue) is because I was new to the game in early 2001 and stuck in Chizara for almost a year (took me to 2002 to get out after months of struggling, a really tough map with all the riddles and stuffs, who would expect a rocket launcher to be called "the stick with six fires" just to name one of so many riddles). Once I got out of that, I did everything quicker and beat the game for the first time in late 2002, and it never took that long to beat the game again with any others I played (i even beat the whole game in two days once). So thats the reason my most memorable is the first I played with Warrior (being stuck in the game for over a year) besides my most favorite Blood Devil (male 1 gib skin) who I played played as in 2004.

IP Logged

Smirftsch
Forum Administrator

Reply #18 - Dec 4th, 2018 at 7:26am
Print Post  
haha, now you made me almost feel like a celebrity Cheesy
I am spending a lot of time here in the forums, I am just not answering everything because I can't contribute something useful everywhere. Aside that my current free time is more than limited, hence your impression maybe.

Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
WWWICQ  
IP Logged

Skywolf
Betatester

Just placeholding...

Reply #19 - Dec 4th, 2018 at 6:30pm
Print Post  
Really? Chizra is where you got stuck? Try Nali Spire. Got stuck on that for hours. Everything looks the same! Really miss games having levels like this.

Iirc did I pick Dante (dunno which male model that skin belongs to). Remember not liking the looks of any of the characters though. All the females look way to slutty in my opinion so my options were angry bald man, smoking cap boy or ponytail "dreamy" boyfriend. Considering I'm not bald and dislike smokers was only one option left.

I hate it when people ask me what my favorite game is. Just try to explain you're not talking about Unreal Tournament Roll Eyes.

IP Logged

wfank30

Oldunreal member

Reply #20 - Dec 9th, 2018 at 7:14am
Print Post  
Skywolf wrote on Dec 4th, 2018 at 6:30pm:
Really? Chizra is where you got stuck? Try Nali Spire. Got stuck on that for hours. Everything looks the same! Really miss games having levels like this.

Iirc did I pick Dante (dunno which male model that skin belongs to). Remember not liking the looks of any of the characters though. All the females look way to slutty in my opinion so my options were angry bald man, smoking cap boy or ponytail "dreamy" boyfriend. Considering I'm not bald and dislike smokers was only one option left.

Ha ha, different for different people. By Nali Spire I assume you mean the Sunspire or Spire Valley, which I found way too easy because by then I had a vast powerful stock of weapons and I completed on my first try. My first time play was the only time when started playing in 2001 I ever got stuck and after beating the game for the first time in 2002 In never got stuck again, and finished the game with ease, once doing so in just two days (could have in just one, but we need to sleep and stuffs....) But yeah not just me, many first time players get stuck at Chizara because of the complex riddles and unlike later levels you only have the first four, and as an 11 year old in 2001 it was really difficult to understand that I need to bath in some "pool of thunder" also kept falling from places I need to jump (like steps) also the vast size of the temple and all. Anyway once I finished it once, never again I had any problem, I could finish Chizara in 10 minutes if I want now. But I am talking about first time playing "the original game" and its different for different people. For me Sunspire was a piece of cake (absolutely nothig, just fend of skaarj troopers on the narrow bridge not falling onto lava, kill gasbags and troopers inside and fly on the chariot), so was Spire Valley from the return to Na pali expansion (Titan fights are always tough but with the Flack Cannon by my side and my ability to dodge they arent problems, I found Chizara's riddles way harder than Titan fights in later levels),  beat those on first try with ease  Wink . But for the first time I ever played, Chizara was the one which I got stuck at the longest, not because I coundt beat the easy sliths and skaarjs, but all the riddles, booby traps  (arrows, bamboo sticks, etc) and complex stuffs in the vast temple of Chizara. But later times I beat it in 10 minutes  Smiley

IP Logged

ArtfulDodger

Oldunreal member

Reply #21 - Dec 31st, 2018 at 8:50am
Print Post  
Started in 2000, my very first internet game as well, female 2 red sonya...first online player i can remember is trustmechris form hlk....good ol times. Smiley

IP Logged

wfank30

Oldunreal member

Reply #22 - Jan 8th, 2019 at 8:29am
Print Post  
ArtfulDodger wrote on Dec 31st, 2018 at 8:50am:
Started in 2000, my very first internet game as well, female 2 red sonya...first online player i can remember is trustmechris form hlk....good ol times. Smiley

Lucky you, played the game since 2001 to 2013, but never online. I had the energy amplifier with the DP that would kill a Stone Titan in one shot, only found in the oldest version in the game (later features I hear they require more). Would have been awesome if I discovered this cool site earlier..... Regardless just goes to show what awesome games Unreal 1998 and Unreal Tournament 1999 were (had them both on the same CD) were that we enjoyed them so long. Even today I would love them if I were to go back playing them, but consider myself retired and just talk of them based fond memories....

IP Logged

Buster
Global Moderator

Reply #23 - Jan 10th, 2019 at 5:04pm
Print Post  
This thread got me thinking about all the 'character' names I've used gaming over the years. It was 1978 when I played my first computer game on a Texas Instruments Model 1. The game was 'Lunar Lander Math Quiz.

That's also the year I first discovered a little gem called Dungeon & Dragons. It was played only on paper, and in the imagination, but kept me entertained until at least 1992. I don't remember the first 'character' name I used way back in 1978, but I do recall my longest played character. Skyhaven, an elven thief. He was created in the autumn of 1982 and retired the summer of 1991. Late 2000, when I got Baldur's Gate for Win 98 SE, I again used the name Skyhaven. Around this time I was also gifted with Unreal Gold.

The first time I ran the Unreal, before Shaw Cable hooked up my first internet account, I didn't change a single setting, so my 'character' name was Player. Once I was online I used the name Sneaki_B, but very quickly everyone just called me by my name, Buster. The joke was the 'B' in Sneaki_B didn't stand for Buster.

When Diablo first came out I used the name Phalkon. I currently use the name Bane for Diablo III on my PS3.

Some of the other names I still use: Hero is the name I use for Fable 1, even though I do buy the name Ranger in the game. Tzadhek for my Wood Elf in Skyrim. Dante for my Fallout 3 character. Bane for my Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition. I just use the default Lord Stronghold for Stronghold HD.

My Playstation Network name, and the name I register most online games with, like PokerStars for example, is bane849. My tribute to Unreal 1.

Also, the name Gatherstone, which I use for my Unreal Gold site, comes from the name I gave a mystical peak in the Dungeons & Dragons world I created back when I first started DMing my own adventures.

Well, that about covers it. Please share a few of the names you've frequently used. I'm always curious about that sort of thing.

One name a friend of mine used made me laugh a lot, and still does: Fog Ducker. Classic, for sure.

Gatherstone - Unreal by Design
https://gatherstone.oldunreal.com

OK - he falls
Keep it Unreal !!
Smiley_~
IP Logged

wfank30

Oldunreal member

Reply #24 - Jan 11th, 2019 at 9:51am
Print Post  
Buster wrote on Jan 10th, 2019 at 5:04pm:
Well, that about covers it. Please share a few of the names you've frequently used. I'm always curious about that sort of thing.

One name a friend of mine used made me laugh a lot, and still does: Fog Ducker. Classic, for sure.

Well ty for sharing your experience Buster. And its amazing to be able to communicate with a 70s gaming veteran like you, all the respect to you. In Unreal "Warrior" was my first . And literally lmao at "Fog Ducker". I remember running for the firs time and the moment the intro opened I was  what you can say "amazed on first sight" , well then ofc had to start the game, so in the player choice part I liked the male 3 Dante guy and went with t blue and was in the crashed vortex and hearing the voice "prisoner 849 escaping" as I got out of the cell.... And so I played with Warrior and after a long journey it was done. Later I played as the skaarj player, then Blood Devil as I described earlier and many others, never used the same name more than once at least i think, played the game over and over again 100s of times, one time I played with the skaarj player  again I named it "Creepy Lizard Man" lol. UT I cant remember much, played it between 2001-2004, but I remember my favorite team the one I played with was "Necris Black Legion" and probably the guy "Kragoth". Capture the flag was my most fav game mode by far.

Aside from the unreal franchise, was a huge fan of mortal kombat franchise, my first was mortal kombat 4, would always pay as Scorpion by far my most fav in the whole series and my most fav mortal kombat game ever was Mortal Kombat Armageddon. And there was the delta force series, Delta Force 3 was my most fav, Pitbull was my most fav character.  Was a huge fan of Half Life, Gordon Freeman XD. In the late 1990s, 1998-1999 was a huge fan of arcade games especially Sega's HOD and VCOP series. The NFS series, NFS carbon was by far my most fav. And then ofc there was the gta series, gta 3, vice city , san andreas  and gta 4 (gta 4 had two expansions but never played the EFLC expansions, just the original); the guys were Claude, Tommy, Carl and Niko respectively. And played countless other games, but the games I loved the most other than unreal already had a set in player. My golden days of gaming was from 1998-2008, GTA 4 in 2008 was the last new game I liked, post 2008 I stopped getting new games and only went back to playing old games I enjoyed from time to time, and modern games seem to depend to much on realistic graphics than other game qualities like say good story, features , challenges, etc.  Also  I dont pay games for real life like graphics, I have movies for that, games are supposed to be animations. , I just feel weird to try them and now that I have to work and all I don't have the time or energy required.

Two games I played longer than any other game were Unreal (2001-2013) and GTA Vice City (2003-Present Day). I lost most of my fav games when my old desktop broke in 2013, but I think I had said a fitting goodbye to Unreal my second most fav game ever. Last time I was playing with  Hunter (male 3 t green) and just reached mothership core when I saved the game final time. And the next time I decided to turn on my pc it didn't start, but I was happy and wished my games a goodbye. But life without GTA Vice City, my moist fav game ever, now I can't imagine that and on my new device I immediately got a new vice city edition and till this day I go back to  playing as badass Tommy Vercetti on the streets of vice city based on the 80s themed Miami.... (was fan of the gta series since 3, but 3 had a kinda dead and gloomy environment and didn't like the main guy Claude was mute, but Vice City is the prefect game for me from the amazing voice acing to the lively atmosphere, story line, fighting actions and everything). Vice City is the only game I still play even today. Well thats about my gaming life, others may feel free to share heir experience if they want. Do forgive my typos (have a bad key board on my laptop, need to replace it soon). Also my last reply to this thread, so thank you all for sharing your experiences....`

IP Logged

Buster
Global Moderator

Reply #25 - Jan 11th, 2019 at 9:18pm
Print Post  
I really liked Vice City, too. Completed it on PC first, and then on the PS2 in 2004. Played San Andreas a lot when it first came out for the PC, and I've got the 'Classic' version installed on my PS3. (I have only a Vista era HP laptop and a PS3 Slim with 200 GB, but it's loaded up with lots of games). My favorite GTA is IV. Niko B. Love it.

The games I find myself playing over the years, and still playing lots now that I'm retired are:

On PC:

Unreal Gold (Now the 227i patch)
Fable - The Lost Chapters
Baldur's Gate I and II (Now the Enhanced Editions)
Diablo II
Stronghold (Now the HD version)
Dungeon Keeper 2

Retired on PC: The Tiger Woods PGA Tour Golf series. Started with the first one ("Tiger shot!"), and ended with 2008. I did take a look at 2012, but didn't play it lots.

On PS3:

Just Cause 2
Skyrim
Call of Duty MW3 - Retired 4th prestige, but still installed.
GTA IV
Crysis 3
GTA San Andreas (PS2 Classic)
Dead Nation
Need for Speed - Most Waned
Diablo III
Red Dead Redemption
Far Cry 4
Battlefield 4 - Also, BF3 is still installed.
Bioshock

That's the short list of the games I've played on various platforms, but they're games I currently have ready at hand and still play.

My absolute favorites are: Unreal Gold, Fable TLC, Just Cause 2, and Skyrim.

A quick (partial) list of games I've (100% complete) finished, a few times: Fable TLC, Just Cause 2, and Vice City.

But I still like to keep it Unreal.
Smiley

OK - he falls
Keep it Unreal !!
Smiley_~
IP Logged

Buster
Global Moderator

Reply #26 - Jan 11th, 2019 at 9:39pm
Print Post  
Oh yeah, a quick mention of a couple Android games I have on my LG G5: Jewels Star, Inotia 3 - Children of Carnia, Super Stickman Golf, Tank Hero, and Chess by AI Factory. Also, Eternium, Inotia 4, Skies of Fury, Space Marshals 2, and Fallout Shelter need to be mentioned.

You can also get the Baldur's Gate (Enhanced Editions) series for Android, but I haven't done so yet. I like playing BG on a 32" 1080p TV instead of my phone with reading glasses on.

Also, another PC game taking up lots of my time, mostly because it's my first time playing it, is Fallout 3. Didn't get into any of the previous versions, but do like 3.

Okay, I'm done, for now. Time for some Skyrim.

OK - he falls
Keep it Unreal !!
Smiley_~
IP Logged

wfank30

Oldunreal member

Reply #27 - Jan 12th, 2019 at 8:09am
Print Post  
Buster wrote on Jan 11th, 2019 at 9:39pm:
Also, another PC game taking up lots of my time, mostly because it's my first time playing it, is Fallout 3. Didn't get into any of the previous versions, but do like 3.

Ok one more reply. Thanks again Buster for sharing you experiences. I don' play games anymore other than vice city because of work. I loved GTA 4 too but its a lot more time consuming. Loved  Battlefield 2 , but by the time 3 came out I became too busy. But for years I have heard lots of good things about Fallout 3, and after listening to you
about it again, I am considering giving it a try, and will buy it for my pc. Once again thanks for your reply  Smiley....

IP Logged

wfank30

Oldunreal member

Reply #28 - Jan 12th, 2019 at 8:23am
Print Post  
Well I am done with this topic for now, thanks to everyone for commenting and anyone who continues feel free to share your experiences about you first played Unreal as.

IP Logged

Buster
Global Moderator

Reply #29 - Jan 17th, 2019 at 10:47pm
Print Post  
You're done with the topic, but I forgot to mention a couple things.

Another game I've played lots and 100% completed is Hitman Contracts. I finished it several times with both a Silent Assassin (perfectly executed hits) and a Mass Murderer (kill everybody in the level) rating.

A quick shout out to Thief. A classic stealth game that used the Unreal 1 engine.

A modern version of Diablo II, which is a game I've played lots over the years, is Torchlight 2. It's a wonderfully designed game, and can be enjoyed when played multiples times. I like the pets you get with your character, too. The game also has some great character names that you can use, keeping on topic.

Also, thought I'd mention that I just installed the 2 CD original GTA Vice City for the PC. It's been almost 9 years since I've played it, so it should be a lot of retro fun.

Another game I played the heck out of is Turok 2 Seeds of Evil for the N64. That, and Zelda O of T. I finished both of those, too. Played an emulated version of Turok 2 on the PC in 2010, but it wasn't the same.

Okay, I'm done now.
Smiley

OK - he falls
Keep it Unreal !!
Smiley_~
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo