Links

Tutorials

Unreal Reference

Usermaps

borderline

Contact us:
Submit News
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Do I really need this for SP? (Read 272 times)
Milkey Wilkey

Archeologist

Do I really need this for SP?
May 6th, 2018 at 10:11am
Print Post  
I mean, what's the benefits of 227 over retail Unreal 200 or Unreal Gold in terms of stock single player content? Does it have improvements over original SP maps, AI, gameplay mechanics/bugs etc? If I don't care much about higher resolutions and can play it with a glide wrapper, don't have audio issues with the default audio engine and play it on windows is there any differences? Reading the changelog I see added decals, new difficulty levels and new blood effects. Pretty much everything else is about UED, modding, online and fixing new functionality.

IP Logged

Turboman.
God Member
Developer Team

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Do I really need this for SP?
Reply #1 - May 6th, 2018 at 10:31am
Print Post  
In my personal opinion, it probably depends on what kind of computer you have but generally vanilla should do fine. I use 227 for everything but i actually love to play through the vanilla game with the base version 205 (first european release) and a decent glide wrapper. I'm surprised that the original base game runs quite well for it's age, and the official patches that succeeded it actually made it run a lot worse for me.

However a few things that 227 does fix:
- for those not capable of running glide, the earlier d3d/opengl implementations (220-226f/b) by epic are atrocious by today's standards. 227 at least keeps these up to date with better support for modern OS and graphic drivers.
- higher resolution support, the original game doesn't support anything but 4:3 resolutions which can be a problem if you have a modern laptop with a 720p/1080p display, 227 can pretty much do anything, it even *partially* supports bigger fonts/user interfaces on 1080p or 4k resolutions.
- And last but not least, with 227 you don't need to use all of it's new features, you can make the game look like the vanilla version (even with the modern renderers). It even includes the original sounds that they replaced somewhere around patch 218.

Whenever i run 227 i actually set it up to closely resemble the original release, i don't use decals or shadows, i have the classic sounds, bmultitexture=false, TLOD=0, but i do run it at 1080p/4k with the scaled gold UI Tongue

WWWICQ  
IP Logged

Hyper
Board Moderator
Betatester

It's Unreal.

Reply #2 - May 6th, 2018 at 3:03pm
Print Post  
You will enjoy fewer bugs/crashes, better performance and far better support for the current sound and graphics hardware.

IP Logged

Neon_Knight

Trickster God of Gillitie
Forest

Reply #3 - May 9th, 2018 at 6:38pm
Print Post  
Well, to me the new (harder) difficulty levels are already a bonus.

Support for newer platforms and more resolutions is also a bonus which is often overlooked, especially when it comes to keeping old games thriving.

Not to mention, there's already someone working on updating the SP campaign.

Unreal Wiki
"The ratio of critics to creators is something like 10,000:1. The ratio of good critics to bad: 1:10,000." - Fast Eddie
IP Logged

THEtomaso

Oldunreal member

Reply #4 - May 11th, 2018 at 1:30pm
Print Post  
You should be aware that v227 introduces some issues too, including a serious game-breaking bug for RTNP:
https://www.oldunreal.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1328510529/
This issue has remained unfixed for many years now.
Read through the thread that I linked to, for workarounds.

IP Logged

Milkey Wilkey

Archeologist

Reply #5 - May 11th, 2018 at 5:10pm
Print Post  
THEtomaso wrote on May 11th, 2018 at 1:30pm:
You should be aware that v227 introduces some issues too, including a serious game-breaking bug for RTNP:
https://www.oldunreal.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1328510529/
This issue has remained unfixed for many years now.
Read through the thread that I linked to, for workarounds.

I heard before there was other issues namely with the AI but I don't remember what exactly the issue was

IP Logged

IAmSoUnReal

Oldunreal member

Reply #6 - yesterday at 4:21am
Print Post  
Turboman. wrote on May 6th, 2018 at 10:31am:
In my personal opinion, it probably depends on what kind of computer you have but generally vanilla should do fine. I use 227 for everything but i actually love to play through the vanilla game with the base version 205 (first european release) and a decent glide wrapper. I'm surprised that the original base game runs quite well for it's age, and the official patches that succeeded it actually made it run a lot worse for me.

However a few things that 227 does fix:
- for those not capable of running glide, the earlier d3d/opengl implementations (220-226f/b) by epic are atrocious by today's standards. 227 at least keeps these up to date with better support for modern OS and graphic drivers.
- higher resolution support, the original game doesn't support anything but 4:3 resolutions which can be a problem if you have a modern laptop with a 720p/1080p display, 227 can pretty much do anything, it even *partially* supports bigger fonts/user interfaces on 1080p or 4k resolutions.
- And last but not least, with 227 you don't need to use all of it's new features, you can make the game look like the vanilla version (even with the modern renderers). It even includes the original sounds that they replaced somewhere around patch 218.

Whenever i run 227 i actually set it up to closely resemble the original release, i don't use decals or shadows, i have the classic sounds, bmultitexture=false, TLOD=0, but i do run it at 1080p/4k with the scaled gold UI Tongue

How does it "partially support" bigger fonts?  Can the Translator message font be made bigger?

IP Logged

Krull0r
Global Moderator
Betatester
Developer Team

227 Emitter Expert

Reply #7 - yesterday at 8:12am
Print Post  
Yes in the options you can scale the translator display by factor two or four

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo