Links

Tutorials

Unreal Reference

Usermaps

borderline

Contact us:
Submit News
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Map Making (Read 453 times)
NmssW

Oldunreal member

Map Making
Apr 15th, 2018 at 8:52pm
Print Post  
I'm wanting to know if maps like dmdeck16 where made with any external programs outside of UnrealEd. Is it possible to product a unique map just with Unreal ed or is it required to have some kind of external program. Please help!

----------
NmssW
        -----------

IP Logged

Krull0r
Global Moderator
Betatester
Developer Team

227 Emitter Expert

Re: Map Making
Reply #1 - Apr 15th, 2018 at 9:26pm
Print Post  
you can rebuild dmdeck16 without any third party tool. Unreal ED has all you need for this quality of maps.

IP Logged

NmssW

Oldunreal member

Reply #2 - Apr 15th, 2018 at 9:34pm
Print Post  
I've been reading a bunch of posts and see a lot of people talk about using external programs for brush building and such. Thanks for clearing this confusion up for me Smiley

----------
NmssW
        -----------

IP Logged

yrex
Betatester

Oldunreal member

Reply #3 - Apr 15th, 2018 at 11:58pm
Print Post  
You can even make Unreal-like terrain with just the UEd if you know the right techniques (227 makes it a bit easier).

Quality stuff | e-mail: ampoyrex(a)wp(.)pl

IP Logged

Kajgue
Global Moderator
Betatester

Super-sexy-Kung-Fu-H
obo-sunva-bitch

Reply #4 - Apr 16th, 2018 at 1:50am
Print Post  
Hey Nemesis,

Most of the tools necessary for architectural related stuff come with Ued, but for what UEd can't do, you can model brushes using blender, just make sure to conform the brush you are modeling in Blender to an Unreal compatible grid to prevent any unwanted BSP problems (set the grid scaling to 1 and subdivisions to 1 in blender, this way you can never move a vertex off of the unreal style grid).

Organic geometry is best modeled in a 3d modeling program (like Blender).

Check my thread on the Unreal modeling subforum within this forum, it might contain some information that is hopefully useful (it contains an .ASE plugin for Blender too, ASE files you export can be converted from ASE to .t3d which is the unreal brush model format, using ASE2T3D [or whatever it was called].

Good luck!

AKA - ( T : S : B ) Ice-Lizard

Whistleblower Ted Gunderson
IP Logged

Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Soulless Automaton

Reply #5 - Apr 16th, 2018 at 10:30am
Print Post  
NmssW wrote on Apr 15th, 2018 at 9:34pm:
I've been reading a bunch of posts and see a lot of people talk about using external programs for brush building and such.

External tools are sometimes used for extremely whacky geometry. In most cases, even the most extreme stuff can be done in UnrealEd if you take the time to do it properly.

You must construct additional pylons.
IP Logged

NmssW

Oldunreal member

Reply #6 - Apr 17th, 2018 at 9:36am
Print Post  
Thanks for all the replies. Definitely has cleared up ALL the confusion Smiley

----------
NmssW
        -----------

IP Logged

Feralidragon

Reply #7 - Apr 17th, 2018 at 11:07am
Print Post  
I will just add the following: I never had a more stable BSP build than when I made the most complex geometry in an external 3D editor.
It seems to me that the usual way of vertex editing, clipping here, intersecting there, is not that great and causes a lot of garbage to build up in the form of small errors in the geometry itself.

While with an external editor, what you make, and then import in the editor, is as clean as it can possibly be, and this generally leads for the builds to be far more stable.

Of course, in 227 this case becomes a bit moot if you just go ahead and use static meshes instead, and just use BSP to define the overall rough playable shape of the map.

IP Logged

Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Soulless Automaton

Reply #8 - Apr 17th, 2018 at 12:07pm
Print Post  
This does not cause problem for most maps and only comes into play for very complex geometry. Most of the errors can be fixed manually even then. Smiley

EDIT: To clarify, Feralidragon is right, but this does not cause problems for a beginner. It'll be harmful to care about this at the start and I'd strongly discourage the use of an external tool as you begin making maps. You'll encounter problems only when you have a firm grasp of how the editor works and venture into ambitious projects. Then it will be time to care about this.

You must construct additional pylons.
IP Logged

Feralidragon

Reply #9 - Apr 17th, 2018 at 12:26pm
Print Post  
Yeah, I did not mean in any way that one should start building stuff in an external program from the start.
I am with Hellkeeper there, most of your maps will actually not really need any of this, and there's also a downside to using an external program that I forgot to mention: many 3D programs will only export to triangles, and this is especially an issue for lighting and texture alignment in BSP surfaces.

Only programs like Blender support quads and such.

Furthermore, my latest map, which I made last year, is probably the most complex map BSP-wise I have ever built (for UT99), and yet I felt no need to use an external editor for it, since the number of shapes added to the complexity, but they are very simple by themselves.

Generally an external editor is best when you really want to do really odd or complex shapes with a lot of polys and have as little problems with BSP as possible, but as I mentioned previously, at that point you may want to opt for static meshes instead in Unreal 227 (in UT99 you really have to use BSP though, at least for most things).

IP Logged

NmssW

Oldunreal member

Reply #10 - Apr 18th, 2018 at 9:37am
Print Post  
Ive been working on this one map here and there . I guess the logic here is practice makes perfect Tongue If i ever get the time i will post a download for it.

----------
NmssW
        -----------

IP Logged

Kajgue
Global Moderator
Betatester

Super-sexy-Kung-Fu-H
obo-sunva-bitch

Reply #11 - Apr 18th, 2018 at 4:24pm
Print Post  
NmssW wrote on Apr 18th, 2018 at 9:37am:
Ive been working on this one map here and there . I guess the logic here is practice makes perfect Tongue If i ever get the time i will post a download for it.

Cool, Smiley good luck with the map!

AKA - ( T : S : B ) Ice-Lizard

Whistleblower Ted Gunderson
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo