Links

Tutorials

Unreal Reference

Usermaps

borderline

Contact us:
Submit News
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Issue #53. Visible shadows under invisible/translucent players (Read 1147 times)
Smirftsch
Forum Administrator

Re: Issue #53. Visible shadows under invisible/translucent players
Reply #15 - Apr 13th, 2018 at 6:51am
Print Post  
To make it short, I fully trust your judgement here and if there are some objections from someone I am sure this will be after they've seen it in game. Do whatever you think is making sense.
Just one thing I am wondering while you are at it- I know there was somewhere in the forums a mod to make shadows light direction depending, do you think you could add something like this as well ? This would be a nice addition yet for 227j- in case you consider it feasible to do so. Perhaps the most closest light should be enough to make it not yet more expensive.
Maybe I can realize this some day in GPU with XOpenGL some day, but this is not to be expected very soon.

Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
WWWICQ  
IP Logged

Masterkent
Developer Team

Reply #16 - Apr 13th, 2018 at 5:39pm
Print Post  
Smirftsch wrote on Apr 13th, 2018 at 6:51am:
Just one thing I am wondering while you are at it

Initially I considered shadows when I worked on modifications to UMenu. I tried to achieve two goals (where possible):

1) menus should display actual values (reopening a dialog should refresh the indicated values),

2) any modifications in the user config which are done via UMenu should take effect as soon as possible (ideally - immediately).

This is how I noticed issue #53.3 (impossible to update shadows on the fly). Then I noticed #53.1, #53.2, and #53.4.

The possibility to cheat (#53.2) should be eliminated as a high-priority issue.

I know there was somewhere in the forums a mod to make shadows light direction depending, do you think you could add something like this as well ?

I don't think that's feasible in general (in a sensible manner) since maps commonly use two types of light sources which cannot be technically distinguished from each other without external light maps:
- lights which can be considered as pinpoint lights,
- lights which are supposed to simulate ambient lighting.

Casting directional shadows from abstract points in space that simulate ambient lighting would not make sense.

This would be a nice addition yet for 227j

It's a too heavy feature, I think it would be better to consider it later - when working on 227.11 or 227.12.

IP Logged

Smirftsch
Forum Administrator

Reply #17 - May 1st, 2018 at 7:37pm
Print Post  
ok, thank you Smiley

Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
WWWICQ  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo