Links

Tutorials

Unreal Reference

Usermaps

borderline

Contact us:
Submit News
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) About new posts/topics (Read 1377 times)
Feralidragon

About new posts/topics
Jan 25th, 2018 at 11:04pm
Print Post  
Just something I have been wondering for the longest time, but only now I actually am going ahead and ask: is there a way to see the new posts and topics since our last login?

If not, would it be possible to have it in some way?

I am asking this given that this is probably one of the only forums where I don't see this functionality anywhere (at least as far as I saw), and something akin to what you already have in your RSS feed:
http://www.oldunreal.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?action=RSSrecent
but as a button in the top menu (just like "Board Index", "Help", etc) would be very useful, given that right now in order to know about what has been going on lately is proving to be troublesome.

IP Logged

Smirftsch
Forum Administrator

Re: About new posts/topics
Reply #1 - Jan 26th, 2018 at 6:47am
Print Post  
I suppose you are talking about anything other than the red colored unreal icon instead the green one?
Can dig through the settings, never missed something like this to be honest, but I'm visiting the forum daily at least anyway...

Edited:
I had a look and the only thing close to it I found so far is
View the most recent topics on the forum.
and
View the most recent posts on the forum.

in the "Forum Statistics" section in the most lower part of the forums, but I think that's not really what you wanted...
« Last Edit: Jan 26th, 2018 at 12:34pm by Smirftsch »  

Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
WWWICQ  
IP Logged

Feralidragon

Reply #2 - Jan 26th, 2018 at 8:08pm
Print Post  
Thank you for looking into this.  Smiley

Yeah, many forums also have icons to show read and unread sections, but overall at least I don't even look at them, because you may have many sections and try to figure out which sections have unread stuff, and then enter each one individually to then see the list of unread posts in each, is a big pain.

What I mean exactly, if you have an account in some phpBB forum you're active on, or even the vBulletin ones, generally you can see a link with "New posts", where you click and you see a complete list of the new posts that were made while you were logged out.

It makes it easy to browse all the actual new posts very fast, and to not miss any posts.

However, this forum seems to be written in Perl and using a software I never saw before, which quite honestly seems a bit outdated to me, but after a quick search at least, I didn't find a way to do that either.

However that "recent" list you just posted is actually very close to what I meant, and perhaps for the time being close enough to use that one instead.  Smiley

So I checked the URL, and although it's returning only 10 entries, apparently it's capped at 25 (I tried 100 in the URL just for fun).

Therefore, I am not sure about the amount of control you have in the menu at the top (the one with the "Board Index | Help | Search | ..."), but if possible, you could add a new entry called "Last 25 posts" or something similar and use this URL:
http://www.oldunreal.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?action=recent;display=25

It seems that "recent posts" or "recent topics" yields the same results.

If you cannot control that menu, maybe you could put it somewhere else? I don't know...

IP Logged

[]KAOS[]Casey
Developer Team
Betatester

nedm

Reply #3 - Jan 27th, 2018 at 3:18am
Print Post  
On the main page you can click this

and then every red indexed forum has a new post

you can just click this before you're done reading for the night so you always can know what's new next login

IP Logged

Feralidragon

Reply #4 - Jan 28th, 2018 at 12:40am
Print Post  
The problem with that is that I am still left to actually have to look at every single section with an unread icon, and then look at every "new" tagged topic within each one.

That implies entering each section and leaving it, which is not efficient especially due to how browsers work (cached page with unchanged icons upon "back"), or to have multiple tabs for each section to see then each topic, and the thing is, I am a simple guy, I prefer simple iterations when checking things as a regular human being, and leave recursion for machines. Smiley

IP Logged

Smirftsch
Forum Administrator

Reply #5 - Jan 29th, 2018 at 7:17am
Print Post  
This board is having a long history already and indeed one of the reasons I like it is that is made with perl instead of php. It was always absolutely stable and reliable in all the years I am using it. Unfortunately it became a little rusty in the last years and it seems that not many maintainers are left working on it. Something I find very sad. Yet I don't have any plans to move to another forum system unless there is really no other choice.

Anyway, I can modify some stuff in it too, but for such a change I don't have the time or capacity right now. It could be suggested in their main forums though -Edited:
Which I just did Smiley

WWWICQ  
IP Logged

Feralidragon

Reply #6 - Jan 29th, 2018 at 1:03pm
Print Post  
OK, thanks. Smiley

I wasn't exactly implying that you should move to another system btw, with the current traffic and active user base, it might not be even worth the effort for the time being, and it fulfills its purpose nonetheless.

It was mostly to highlight the fact that nowadays forum software in Perl is not exactly up to date, like this one, so useful things like this are generally not there, although the obvious PHP forum solutions such as vBulletin and phpBB do not really have what I would like to call "good code", it's still very PHP4.x-ish and open to security problems when PHP is already at 7.2.

Either way, I will probably bookmark the link with the latest posts instead for the time being, which for now seems to be good enough. Smiley

IP Logged

Smirftsch
Forum Administrator

Reply #7 - Feb 2nd, 2018 at 2:22pm
Print Post  
Oh, don't underestimate the userbase we have here, currently the stats show about 150k visits per month Smiley

But it seems a new version is being worked on (hail for updated and still being perl, haha) and for it there is already a mod available for it providing this feature. When being released, I'll update and add it.

WWWICQ  
IP Logged

Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Soulless Automaton

Reply #8 - Feb 3rd, 2018 at 12:12pm
Print Post  
Smirftsch wrote on Feb 2nd, 2018 at 2:22pm:
about 150k visits per month Smiley

I can guarantee that half of these are just me checking this forums and a few sites constantly because I have nothing else to do.

You must construct additional pylons.
IP Logged

Feralidragon

Reply #9 - Feb 3rd, 2018 at 12:52pm
Print Post  
Oh, don't underestimate the userbase we have here, currently the stats show about 150k visits per month Smiley

Considering the average number of guests shown in the forum, that does sound about right, that's very nice to know. Smiley

Although there aren't many posts/topics being made however for most of those users to engage, especially when comparing with just no more than a couple of years ago, and this very topic seems to have been more active lately than the others about actual Unreal subjects, which I think is a problem.

And for the time being I cannot contribute much either, since I am hard at work trying to build the necessary framework to turn that around, so those 150k may eventually get up to 500k or 1M at least, since as far as my own future plans are concerned, Unreal is in them, together with UT99, hence my interest in these useful little forum features so I can keep up to date for the time being at least. Smiley

But it seems a new version is being worked on (hail for updated and still being perl, haha) and for it there is already a mod available for it providing this feature. When being released, I'll update and add it.

Cool. Smiley
Thank you.

IP Logged

Smirftsch
Forum Administrator

Reply #10 - Feb 13th, 2018 at 7:00am
Print Post  
I updated an existing mod for an older version and now there is "Unread Topics" in the main menu bar on top. Please test Smiley

WWWICQ  
IP Logged

Feralidragon

Reply #11 - Feb 13th, 2018 at 11:19am
Print Post  
It seems to work perfectly, thank you.  Cheesy

IP Logged

papercoffee

coffee addicted !!!

Reply #12 - Apr 14th, 2018 at 11:42am
Print Post  
Hm... I tried the "Unread Topics" button ...but all it's doing is telling me that I have  84 Unread Topics. But nothing is shown there. Huh

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo