Links

Tutorials

Unreal Reference

Usermaps

borderline

Contact us:
Submit News
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) [RELEASED] Unreal HD Skins [UT] [227] (Read 54771 times)
Lightning_Hunter

Re: [RELEASED] Unreal HD Skins [UT] [227]
Reply #270 - Nov 8th, 2016 at 5:17pm
Print Post  
makemeunreal wrote on Nov 8th, 2016 at 3:43pm:
I would love to help with the skins, but I'm not sure if my Photoshop skills would have been good enough. Undecided Undecided Undecided Undecided Undecided Undecided

My skills were basically rubbish when I first started messing with textures/skins years ago. I did not learn much from other people.  I just messed with stuff in Photoshop and looked up a few minor tutorials.  It just takes some practice and learning. 

There was a decent improvement from my first few skins to my last few skins in the HD pack.  In fact, I had to go back and improve the first skins once I was finished.  My primary method using Photoshop is to use the lasso tool to outline and create new layers of each part of the skin.  Then, I kind of use the airbrush to manually rework and blend the colors of each layer created (to remove pixelation).  After the layer is touched up, I remove the old shadows/highlights and add them back from scratch (to sharpen them).  The Photoshop layer effects can do this automatically for you in most cases (although I do sometimes add them manually).  Finally, I apply a detail texture to the finalized the layer.  It takes a lot of patience with this method, but I used it for just about every skin.

To be honest, I did not consider myself a graphic artist when I started this pack, nor do I consider myself one now.   Grin
I guess I was just patient and willing to try, and it seemed to work out ok.  I am surprised about getting such good reviews on Moddb (and from the beta testers).  People on the Unreal forums are pretty silent though, which is surprising.  I thought I would get more comments here than on Moddb.  Huh

For High-Res Unreal skins, click here.
IP Logged

Hyper
Board Moderator
Betatester

It's Unreal.

Reply #271 - Nov 9th, 2016 at 1:16am
Print Post  
I'm glad this project is coming true and it looks great, but I have a major problem:

It does not work online and even offline it is disabled by default.
I would love to see an universal solution.

IP Logged

Lightning_Hunter

Reply #272 - Nov 9th, 2016 at 1:48am
Print Post  
Hyper wrote on Nov 9th, 2016 at 1:16am:
I'm glad this project is coming true and it looks great, but I have a major problem:

First of all, I already stated in several places that there is no online support with the official release.  However, Bleeder and Shivaxi have created a file that is supposed to fix this, but I have not tested it yet:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wu1dvki7uj17g8v/HDTXMPFIX.u?dl=1

Second, I am going to need way more details about why it is not working for you offline.  What do you mean it is disabled by default?  Did you add the mutator?  Did you enable S3TC textures?  Did you follow all instructions in the readme file?  Are there any error messages?  Help me out here rather than scaring everybody with huge font and making them believe this is some terrible release.  All my beta testers found no problems offline.  You really need to take your time and look things over before you smear these massive warnings on the forums...

IP Logged

BobIsUnreal
God Member

Guy who has too much time
invested to quit now

Reply #273 - Nov 9th, 2016 at 8:36am
Print Post  
i tried to run it online with the fix , it seems without thinking of it much or looking at any code ,
Its a server>clientside hack to make it work. running mod on server , and running fix mod on server , and letting hdskins get sent and downloaded (275mb compressed?!!) will result in a client crash every time.

Taking skin mod out and running only fix mod results in a client spawn notify crash.so any user withot the mod installed with probably crash on join, not to metion if they dont support s3tc, they are probably extra screwed.or the people that download the gaint 260mb texture file that will crash them.

The only thing that worked for me is to install the mod on your client, then the then let the server fix spawn on your client and  that  load the file locally.-

this leads me to belive its basicly spawning compleytly clientside , and maybe  would be possible to  spawn the mutator client side as if it was say - "a hack", f.e. mod menu or spawned by hook/console, that could make a univerel non-server implemenation.

in my testing it "seems" to work on a server - up to a point, my server has more custom models and such , so its not as apparent , but boxes and  some carcass models seen to by in detail like expected , not 1st person models tho, and not every stock creature, its inconsistent in general. also odd things , since s3tc replaces bsp based boxes then your mod replaces small model based boxed with a completly differnt texture.

[REM_img]http://i.imgur.com/V3OSsDu.gif.disable[/img]http://i.imgur.com/JOu38Gs.gif
IP Logged

dustinechoes849

General Protection Fault!

Reply #274 - Nov 9th, 2016 at 11:29am
Print Post  
Looks great Cheesy

don't bother trying to message me over AIM, I haven't used that in years lol
I have a Discord, the number thingie is #6413
IP Logged

Hyper
Board Moderator
Betatester

It's Unreal.

Reply #275 - Nov 9th, 2016 at 1:15pm
Print Post  
Lightning_Hunter wrote on Nov 9th, 2016 at 1:48am:

First of all, I already stated in several places that there is no online support with the official release.  However, Bleeder and Shivaxi have created a file that is supposed to fix this, but I have not tested it yet:

Second, I am going to need way more details about why it is not working for you offline.  What do you mean it is disabled by default?  Did you add the mutator?  Did you enable S3TC textures?  Did you follow all instructions in the readme file?  Are there any error messages?  Help me out here rather than scaring everybody with huge font and making them believe this is some terrible release.  All my beta testers found no problems offline.  You really need to take your time and look things over before you smear these massive warnings on the forums...

When I add the mutator manually every single time it works fine. New game does not add it on the classic menu system I currently use. So, yes, the mutator works but my "problem" is that it is a mutator with all limitations of it. In comparison: The S3TC Highres texures of the Unreal ReTexturing projects are enabled in any circumstance. I know, by the nature of Unreal you can't just replace the textures in UnrealI.u and UnrealShare.u without major issues but that is what is needed to get this project useful. So, I still hope that this will be done and that it gets integrated in Unreal 227j for example. Only then it will be enabled always without limited hacks like mutators or TexMod.

What is needed is a set-it-once-and-forget-it solution and a mutator will not bring that. Believe me, I love this project and I admire your work. But I know like no other that if something is not easy to use and working by default it will have hardly any practical users.

IP Logged

Lightning_Hunter

Reply #276 - Nov 9th, 2016 at 5:01pm
Print Post  
Hyper wrote on Nov 9th, 2016 at 1:15pm:

When I add the mutator manually every single time it works fine. New game does not add it on the classic menu system I currently use. So, yes, the mutator works but my "problem" is that it is a mutator with all limitations of it. In comparison: The S3TC Highres texures of the Unreal ReTexturing projects are enabled in any circumstance. I know, by the nature of Unreal you can't just replace the textures in UnrealI.u and UnrealShare.u without major issues but that is what is needed to get this project useful. So, I still hope that this will be done and that it gets integrated in Unreal 227j for example. Only then it will be enabled always without limited hacks like mutators or TexMod.

What is needed is a set-it-once-and-forget-it solution and a mutator will not bring that. Believe me, I love this project and I admire your work. But I know like no other that if something is not easy to use and working by default it will have hardly any practical users.

Seriously?  That is your complaint?  How difficult is it to add a mutator one time and check the box "always use this mutator configuration"?  I'm sorry for my rudeness here, but about 99% of ALL THE COMMENTS I received agreed that a mutator was a better method than replacing system files.  It was on purpose that I did not include UnrealShare or Unreali replacements (which would have been easier to do).  This mod contains a very convenient mutator that works for both UT99 and 227.  If I replaced system files, there would have to be separate releases.  Also, replacing system files would mess up future releases of the OldUnreal patches, due to the fact that 227 modifies/updates those very same system files.  That means this project would have to be re-released every time there was a new OldUnreal patch, which would guarantee compatibility issues in the future - especially if I disappear from the mod scene (which is very probable).

I can't believe your complaint is about having to add a mutator, when everyone else complained about DieHard's textures replacing system files (which breaks UnrealED as a consequence).  Normally I would not be annoyed over such a thing, except for the fact that you blasted this release in huge CAPS, making it seem half-assed, despite all the work that went in to the skinning, coding, and playtesting.  Heck, all the coding was done to avoid replacing system files in order to appease the fans.  Sad

As for online support, I am going to leave it to the community, because I just don't have the patience or desire to test it out myself.  However, if the community agrees upon a certain online solution and fix, I will "officially" endorse it on the forums and the Moddb page.
« Last Edit: Nov 9th, 2016 at 7:23pm by Lightning_Hunter »  

IP Logged

[]KAOS[]Casey
Developer Team
Betatester

nedm

Reply #277 - Nov 9th, 2016 at 5:26pm
Print Post  
B of A

IP Logged

[]KAOS[]Casey
Developer Team
Betatester

nedm

Reply #278 - Nov 9th, 2016 at 7:08pm
Print Post  
If the documentation I'm reading about spawnnotify is correct, this should work online with any further modification. MultiSkins, Mesh, Skin, Texture, etc are all replicated, and non default values would make it to the client via replication.

The only way this wouldn't be working is if SpawnNotify isn't actually being called server side. It also should probably not be called client side at all.

IP Logged

Lightning_Hunter

Reply #279 - Nov 9th, 2016 at 7:34pm
Print Post  
dustinechoes849 wrote on Nov 9th, 2016 at 11:29am:

By the way, most of those objects do not appear to have high-res skins.  Is the mutator enabled for that screenshot?

IP Logged

Leo T_C_K
Betatester

Reply #280 - Nov 9th, 2016 at 7:36pm
Print Post  
They seem to have the high res skins its just the rendering he's using I think or config.

People who accuse others of trolling are usually the biggest trolls themselves.
YouTube  
IP Logged

Lightning_Hunter

Reply #281 - Nov 9th, 2016 at 7:39pm
Print Post  
Leo T_C_K wrote on Nov 9th, 2016 at 7:36pm:
They seem to have the high res skins its just the rendering he's using I think or config.

Must be.  They appear to be converted to 256 colors.  dustinechoes849, what drivers are you using?

IP Logged

Hyper
Board Moderator
Betatester

It's Unreal.

Reply #282 - Nov 9th, 2016 at 9:33pm
Print Post  
Lightning_Hunter wrote on Nov 9th, 2016 at 5:01pm:
Hyper wrote on Nov 9th, 2016 at 1:15pm:

Seriously?  That is your complaint?
[...]

Yes, that was my complaint. But it is fine. it is your project and I read that your choices are well-thought over and therefore I respect them. You can't please everyone.

IP Logged

Lightning_Hunter

Reply #283 - Nov 9th, 2016 at 10:41pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Yes, that was my complaint. But it is fine. it is your project and I read that your choices are well-thought over and therefore I respect them. You can't please everyone.

Sorry for my somewhat rude posts.

A quick tip however, if you open Unreal.ini and change "LocalMap=Unreal.unr" to this:

LocalMap=unreal.unr?Mutator=HDSkinsMut.HDSkinsMut

It will enable the mutator automatically for the flyby intro, as well as any map you open by going to the console.  That way, if you want to play a custom map, you can just simply open the console during the flyby, and type "open mapname".  The mutator will be enabled.

IP Logged

dustinechoes849

General Protection Fault!

Reply #284 - Nov 9th, 2016 at 11:03pm
Print Post  
Lightning_Hunter wrote on Nov 9th, 2016 at 7:39pm:
Leo T_C_K wrote on Nov 9th, 2016 at 7:36pm:

Must be.  They appear to be converted to 256 colors.  dustinechoes849, what drivers are you using?

tried opengl, d3d9, and d3d8, all looked like that.
227i with almost untouched config
modern nvidia gpu, 1280x1024 monitor

Noticed it didn't look as good as the mod screenshots.

don't bother trying to message me over AIM, I haven't used that in years lol
I have a Discord, the number thingie is #6413
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo