Links

Tutorials

Unreal Reference

Usermaps

borderline

Contact us:
Submit News
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 21 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) [RELEASED] Unreal HD Skins [UT] [227] (Read 54762 times)
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Soulless Automaton

Re: High-Res Skin Project / Request for Skinners!
Reply #15 - May 21st, 2016 at 8:11am
Print Post  
Wow, the crate and furniture are definitely the best so far, very nice!

You must construct additional pylons.
IP Logged

Lightning_Hunter

Reply #16 - May 23rd, 2016 at 1:31am
Print Post  
Not a huge deal, but here is the pottery:

For High-Res Unreal skins, click here.
IP Logged

Krull0r
Global Moderator
Betatester
Developer Team

227 Emitter Expert

Reply #17 - May 23rd, 2016 at 7:20am
Print Post  
Looks awesome!

So... I don't need to create new models and skins for the decorations for my 227 map project Smiley

When everything is done I like to use your skins and implement them in to my 227 map pack Smiley

IP Logged

Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Soulless Automaton

Reply #18 - May 23rd, 2016 at 8:59am
Print Post  
Smirftsch wanted some high-res textures and models for the game's meshes, I'm sure he'll be interested in all of this. If someone goes as far as building better models and use your skins, then maybe you can get this included in 227 and everybody will be happy. Smiley

You must construct additional pylons.
IP Logged

Skywolf
Betatester

Just placeholding...

Reply #19 - May 23rd, 2016 at 3:36pm
Print Post  
If the better models are just for static objects I can give it a shot. Animated things are a problem as every animation has to be re-made from scratch which on itself is a huge task but these also have to look as feel like the original. Making it a huge hassle.

Not sure what to do with sludge barrels though as those have a small animation. I can try to create a skeletal animation for it as it doesn't have to look indentical to the original but you can also just slap a particle emitter on it and it would probably look alot better while being less of a hassle.

I hate it when people ask me what my favorite game is. Just try to explain you're not talking about Unreal Tournament Roll Eyes.

IP Logged

Krull0r
Global Moderator
Betatester
Developer Team

227 Emitter Expert

Reply #20 - May 23rd, 2016 at 4:59pm
Print Post  
I can try to create a better mesh for a skaarjwarrior and animate him.

But I'm still learning blender and creating animated meshes for unreal will be a good task for me.
I hope I can find time for this project =}

IP Logged

Skywolf
Betatester

Just placeholding...

Reply #21 - May 23rd, 2016 at 7:01pm
Print Post  
Attempt at making an actual round barrel Tongue

Uses the original texture so unless the HD texture is too different it should work fine. Would like to test though.

Question though. This model is imported as .obj staticmesh. Is it possible to get detail textures to work on this aswell? Or do I have to jump through a few extra hoops and make it a .3d file for that?

I hate it when people ask me what my favorite game is. Just try to explain you're not talking about Unreal Tournament Roll Eyes.

IP Logged

Lightning_Hunter

Reply #22 - May 24th, 2016 at 4:08am
Print Post  
Skywolf wrote on May 23rd, 2016 at 7:01pm:
Attempt at making an actual round barrel Tongue
http://i.imgur.com/3JTTARg.png
Uses the original texture so unless the HD texture is too different it should work fine. Would like to test though.

Question though. This model is imported as .obj staticmesh. Is it possible to get detail textures to work on this aswell? Or do I have to jump through a few extra hoops and make it a .3d file for that?

That barrel looks great!  If there is going to be a mass remodeling project, let me know so I can send the new textures to you.  There are some minor differences, since some of the original Unreal textures had alignment issues.  I fixed these alignment issues with the new skins.

My only request is that these models not be too poly dense.  With all these high-res textures and models, I could see the game slowing down on many systems.  The UT99 engine is not optimized for such things after all.

IP Logged

Krull0r
Global Moderator
Betatester
Developer Team

227 Emitter Expert

Reply #23 - May 24th, 2016 at 7:04am
Print Post  

IP Logged

Lightning_Hunter

Reply #24 - May 24th, 2016 at 7:14am
Print Post  
Krull0r wrote on May 24th, 2016 at 7:04am:

Those trees look awesome, but the only problem is with them bending in different directions.  In some user-made levels, the trees are intended to fit in a very specific place.  The new orientation could possibly put some trees inside a wall or in an awkward position.  Nonetheless, I do wish the trees could get a better model.  Ahaigh's tree skins look pretty sweet, and I enhanced them further for my upcoming pack.
« Last Edit: May 24th, 2016 at 6:40pm by Lightning_Hunter »  

IP Logged

Skywolf
Betatester

Just placeholding...

Reply #25 - May 24th, 2016 at 6:16pm
Print Post  
Chair and Table done:

Lightning_Hunter wrote on May 24th, 2016 at 4:08am:
That barrel looks great!  If there is going to be a mass remodeling project, let me know so I can send the new textures to you.  There are some minor differences, since some of the original Unreal textures had alignment issues.  I fixed these alignment issues with the new skins.

My only request is that these models not be too poly dense.  With all these high-res textures and models, I could see the game slowing down on many systems.  The UT99 engine is not optimized for such things after all.

Would like to see how these look with the new textures. So if you could sent these over that would be nice.

As for the polycount. My laptop (i5-3230M, GT740M) can run around 100 of the new barrels on-screen @ 1080p at the same time in nyleve before it starts to drop FPS. So unless mappers are putting that many decorations in one room do I see no problems. Even with the stock mesh Unreal doesn't handle that many meshes that well anyway. start to get framedrops around 200 of those despite the newer model having over 50 times the polys compared to the original.

Not sure if 227 has improved performance with (static)meshes though. It probably has so UT might run a bit slower. But I don't own that game so can't test.

IP Logged

Lightning_Hunter

Reply #26 - May 24th, 2016 at 6:37pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Would like to see how these look with the new textures. So if you could sent these over that would be nice.

Sure, I will try to get them to you tonight.  I will probably just send the 24-bit BMP files for the main decorations, which you can import in to UnrealED directly.  Just backup UnrealShare and UnrealI, and save over the old packages to test.  The textures should show up in-game without reducing to 256 colors (at least, this works in UT99; let me know if it doesn't work in 227).

Quote:
Not sure if 227 has improved performance with (static)meshes though. It probably has so UT might run a bit slower. But I don't own that game so can't test.

What I am most concerned about is when the player first enters a big room full of decorations.  In my UT99 test map, I have dozens of models in one big area - and the fps drops quite sharply for a half a second when you first enter with all the high-res textures loading.  The new models on top of this might be an issue, but I guess we won't know until we do some more testing.  We will have to coordinate through PM to test everything together.

IP Logged

Skywolf
Betatester

Just placeholding...

Reply #27 - May 25th, 2016 at 6:34pm
Print Post  
Looking gud Grin.

Had to modify the uvs a bit on the meshes but nothing too serious. That said, having the textures be made for the higher polygon models would look better. Example: things like the table have some deformation going on because the textures for the table's top side only has 8 sides.

For the more square models there isn't any detail to be added. A cube is a cube after all. So I tried to use a Edge Split modifier to split the vertices along the edges. This makes the lightning more flat. Best seen when rendering the model with Environment:

It's only a small improvement but it's there.

Performance wise I played a bit on a modified version of SkyTown and there weren't any drops in FPS below the 60 FPS I locked the game at.

IP Logged

han
Global Moderator
Unreal Rendering Guru
Developer Team

Oldunreal member

Reply #28 - May 25th, 2016 at 7:11pm
Print Post  
I wouldn't split the vertices at the edges for boxes. Instead I would introduce a band near the edge, so with the automatic normal smoothing you would get slightly smoothed edges but the overall flat surface would still be flat.

Basically whats shown in the upper sketch, and the lower sketch is a crossection of the side with vertex normals drawn.

HX on Mod DB. Revision on Steam. Löffels on Patreon.

IP Logged

Skywolf
Betatester

Just placeholding...

Reply #29 - May 25th, 2016 at 8:38pm
Print Post  
Great idea! Grin here some comparisons:

From left to right: Stock model, all edges split, all edges banded (Bevel Modifier), All edges banded but the edges around the sunken part are split.

Personally like the last one the best but would like to have input from others.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 21
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo