Links

Tutorials

Unreal Reference

Usermaps

borderline

Contact us:
Submit News
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) [227j_35] FrameRateLimit cvar for XOpenGL (Read 7631 times)
Smirftsch
Forum Administrator

Re: [227j_35] FrameRateLimit cvar for XOpenGL
Reply #45 - Dec 22nd, 2018 at 9:34am
Print Post  
I'm doing nothing special here, just using SDL_GL_SetSwapInterval, as supposed to. On a side note, despite having "Force Full Composition Pipeline" on, it's also accepting UseVSync=Off without trouble, giving me 300+ FPS (while still having no tearing then).
I don't know, I have the impression there is a lot of stuff happening in Xorg, the drivers or SDL2 we can't actually overview.

Oh and yes, since a few 227j versions the VSync option for all rendevs is equalized to "UseVSync", to make menu handling less troublesome.

Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
WWWICQ  
IP Logged

shoober420
Betatester

Reply #46 - Dec 22nd, 2018 at 4:22pm
Print Post  
Hmm, I was wrong about the COMPOSITE extension enabling VSync on the desktop then, or maybe it does this on the desktop only. My fault. I do know using a compositor, the COMPOSITE extension, and enabling the "Composition Pipeline" settings will impact game performance slightly, and introduce some input latency. Ive personally never used any of them for this reason.

Besides that, when you start a new game on Vortex2 using the new XOpenGL renderer and VSync off, walk up to the second flickering light on the right side when you leave the jail cell. That light should produce tearing. Also, the flickering lights on floor two of the prison cell room should produce massive tearing for you. I dont get tearing besides when near flickering lights in Unreal games.

Even when I use a high refresh rate like 120Hz, I will still get tearing with VSync off, because I get like over 1000+ FPS, well over 120 FPS. Tearing for me occurs when my FPS goes over my refresh rate and very fast paced scenes, like the flickering lights in Unreal. But normal scenerios i dont get tearing with VSync off.

If there was a way to limit the FPS to 120 with XOpenGL with "UseVSync" being "Off", it would feel perfect lol

What refresh rate are you using?

IP Logged

Smirftsch
Forum Administrator

Reply #47 - Dec 23rd, 2018 at 11:38am
Print Post  
Things got really improved a lot on my end when I found out that my new TFT  (PL4017UH) is having DP set to 1.1, it caused the driver to run 3840x2160 @ 30Hz.
After setting it to 1.2 its perfectly smooth and both UseVSync=On and UseVSync=Adaptive are working perfectly fine, up to 3840x2160 @60 Hz.

Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
WWWICQ  
IP Logged

shoober420
Betatester

Reply #48 - Dec 23rd, 2018 at 10:30pm
Print Post  
Thatís great to hear. Using a compositor may make it harder to detect the stutters and input latency, but if thereís anyone who can confirm stuttering and input latency, itís totally me lolol

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo