Links

Tutorials

Unreal Reference

Usermaps

borderline

Contact us:
Submit News
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Enhanced Monster Skins (Read 35664 times)
Krull0r
Global Moderator
Betatester
Developer Team

227 Emitter Expert

Re: Enhanced Monster Skins
Reply #15 - Mar 6th, 2016 at 8:01am
Print Post  
If I had the time I would do this remodeling thing and update all monsters to skeletal animations.
But I'm actually working on a HUUUGE project for Unreal too.

@ Lightning_Hunter

The result of your brute is very good! I like to use your improved monster skins for my Unreal 227 map update project!!11one

Greets Krull0r

IP Logged

Lightning_Hunter

Reply #16 - Mar 6th, 2016 at 9:05am
Print Post  
Here is a first version of the normal Brute.  I still have some touching up to do, but I think the results aren't too shabby.  Make sure to click the pictures to blow them up to full size:

Old Brute to compare:

For High-Res Unreal skins, click here.
IP Logged

Krull0r
Global Moderator
Betatester
Developer Team

227 Emitter Expert

Reply #17 - Mar 6th, 2016 at 10:23am
Print Post  
Still wow.

IP Logged

Lightning_Hunter

Reply #18 - Mar 6th, 2016 at 11:40am
Print Post  
Did more work on the Brute skin.  I think this is finished, unless someone notices any blatant errors.  Of course, suggestions or comments are welcome!

IP Logged

Lightning_Hunter

Reply #19 - Mar 7th, 2016 at 1:48am
Print Post  
And here is the Behemoth:

The old behemoth:

IP Logged

Lightning_Hunter

Reply #20 - Mar 7th, 2016 at 8:28pm
Print Post  
And because I'm such a completionist, here are the Beta Brute skins.  These are used in RTNPUE.

IP Logged

Lightning_Hunter

Reply #21 - Mar 8th, 2016 at 11:04pm
Print Post  
Can anyone help me with a Krall staff masking issue? I noticed that if I convert jKrall 24-bit BMP to 256 color Unreal palette, the staff appears masked.  However, if I import the 24-bit BMP directly in to UnrealED, it is not masked (you can see the black on the staff).  Does anyone know why this is?

IP Logged

Kajgue
Global Moderator
Betatester

Super-sexy-Kung-Fu-H
obo-sunva-bitch

Reply #22 - Mar 8th, 2016 at 11:43pm
Print Post  
This is pretty decent progress on the Brute skins so far, nice work!

As for the masking issue, .dds has some troubles with importing masked textures I have found. It's either that, or; you might need to assign your 'exact masked colour' to colour 0 on the textures palette. If that can only done on indexed images, that might be why that 227 isn't understanding that specific colour you want to represent masking = means to mask that area.

Does Alphablend work instead? Since that's a reserved channel which works with .dds textures, it's just not called 'masking' Tongue

AKA - ( T : S : B ) Ice-Lizard

Whistleblower Ted Gunderson
IP Logged

Lightning_Hunter

Reply #23 - Mar 9th, 2016 at 2:16am
Print Post  
Kajgue wrote on Mar 8th, 2016 at 11:43pm:
This is pretty decent progress on the Brute skins so far, nice work!

As for the masking issue, .dds has some troubles with importing masked textures I have found. It's either that, or; you might need to assign your 'exact masked colour' to colour 0 on the textures palette. If that can only done on indexed images, that might be why that 227 isn't understanding that specific colour you want to represent masking = means to mask that area.

Does Alphablend work instead? Since that's a reserved channel which works with .dds textures, it's just not called 'masking' Tongue

I am not actually using .DDS at all.  I don't even know how to import DDS format.  All the tutorials I have seen from Diehard in the past looked way too complex.  I am importing 24-bit BMP files in to the UnrealED texture browser.  Oh, and I forgot to mention that I am testing this using Unreal Tournament, NOT 227.  UT99 is just far easier for testing for me (and whatever works in UT99 should also work in 227). 

I set the masked color to index 0 (which is just as black as it gets), and I also tried messing with the masked settings. Funny enough, UnrealED will show the texture as masked in the editor, but in-game, it is NOT masked.  Like I said, if I convert the file to the Unreal palette in 256 colors, the texture is masked in-game.

IP Logged

Skywolf
Betatester

Just placeholding...

Reply #24 - Mar 9th, 2016 at 10:04am
Print Post  
What I always do:

1. Install GIMP (if you haven't already).

2. Open the texture in GIMP

3. Image -> Mode -> RGB.

4. Make sure the part that has to be masked are pure black (000000)

5. Image -> Mode -> Indexed.

6. Take a sip of coffee (or your prefered drink). VERY IMPORTANT!

7. Leave it at default and click Convert.

8. Export the file as .PCX.

9. Import into Unreal.

10. Profit.

If the textures will be 227 exclusive you might want to look into AlphaBlend instead as this gives more control over transparency.

I hate it when people ask me what my favorite game is. Just try to explain you're not talking about Unreal Tournament Roll Eyes.

IP Logged

Lightning_Hunter

Reply #25 - Mar 9th, 2016 at 10:43am
Print Post  
Skywolf, I am using 2048x2048 24-bit BMP that I do not want to reduce the quality of.  As such, I am not indexing/converting the images at all.  I am importing the 24-bit BMP files directly in to UnrealED.  As I already stated above, I know the masked texture works if I convert the image to 256 color Unreal palette using the program Bright (which, btw, is far better than GIMP and Photoshop at converting images to 256 colors).  Also, these files are not 227 exclusive.  In fact, I am creating them for UT99 first before I even release them for 227.

What I need help on is figuring out how to make the texture masked using 24-bit BMP.

In the meantime, here is a near-complete Krall.  I just need to fix the staff masking bug, and it should be done.  This skin took nearly 100 layers in photoshop to complete (all of those layers created using the Laso tool)!  The Krall definitely has a lot of different parts to it.  I think some of the other models will be easy in comparison.

Old Krall:

Once again, make sure to click the images to blow them up!

IP Logged

Skywolf
Betatester

Just placeholding...

Reply #26 - Mar 9th, 2016 at 11:46am
Print Post  
Lightning_Hunter wrote on Mar 9th, 2016 at 10:43am:
Skywolf, I am using 2048x2048 24-bit BMP that I do not want to reduce the quality of.  As such, I am not indexing/converting the images at all.  I am importing the 24-bit BMP files directly in to UnrealED.  As I already stated above, I know the masked texture works if I convert the image to 256 color Unreal palette using the program Bright (which, btw, is far better than GIMP and Photoshop at converting images to 256 colors).  Also, these files are not 227 exclusive.  In fact, I am creating them for UT99 first before I even release them for 227.

What I need help on is figuring out how to make the texture masked using 24-bit BMP.

Then you're out of luck. As far as I know. Using .DDS files and AlphaBlend is the only way to get the maximum image quality Unreal allows (which is DXT5 compression) and have some form of masking in it. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong though.

As for the skins, Shouldn't the red paint be less vibrant and more washed out? It seems to be that way in the original texture. Other than that is looks pretty good. Grin

I hate it when people ask me what my favorite game is. Just try to explain you're not talking about Unreal Tournament Roll Eyes.

IP Logged

Lightning_Hunter

Reply #27 - Mar 9th, 2016 at 6:49pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Then you're out of luck. As far as I know. Using .DDS files and AlphaBlend is the only way to get the maximum image quality Unreal allows (which is DXT5 compression) and have some form of masking in it. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong though.

If .DDS will work for UT99 as well, then maybe someone can help me get it imported (seriously, I looked at a tutorial twice in the past and gave up both times).  24-bit BMP file is just far easier to use, and is 100% lossless.  The only advantage so far that I have run across for .DDS is with masked textures.  I would be shocked if there was no way for UT99 to work with masked BMP files.

Quote:
As for the skins, Shouldn't the red paint be less vibrant and more washed out? It seems to be that way in the original texture. Other than that is looks pretty good. Grin

I also considered making the paint less vibrant (believe it or not, it was even more vibrant to begin with).  The reason I ended up not doing so is because it looks so much better with the added contrast between the skin and the red paint.  I'll bet Epic would have done the same thing, but they had the 256 color restriction.  Converting the image to the Unreal palette probably turned the paint more of a yellow/brown color.  Of course, if people really do feel strongly about it, I can make the paint less saturated.  I just think it looks really snappy with a stronger red hue.  From a distance, the skin looks identical to the original (which is my goal), so I don't think it makes that much difference!

IP Logged

Kajgue
Global Moderator
Betatester

Super-sexy-Kung-Fu-H
obo-sunva-bitch

Reply #28 - Mar 9th, 2016 at 7:55pm
Print Post  
The Krall is nice, good work.

But yeah, I'd agree, maybe tone down the strength of the borders of the tattoos, even a very thin gradient should work just to take some of the 'sharpness' off of it.

Pretty good so far.

AKA - ( T : S : B ) Ice-Lizard

Whistleblower Ted Gunderson
IP Logged

Lightning_Hunter

Reply #29 - Mar 9th, 2016 at 11:56pm
Print Post  
Kajgue wrote on Mar 9th, 2016 at 7:55pm:
The Krall is nice, good work.

But yeah, I'd agree, maybe tone down the strength of the borders of the tattoos, even a very thin gradient should work just to take some of the 'sharpness' off of it.

Pretty good so far.

I can easily blend the edges of the paint using feathering, but Skywolf was talking about the saturation of the paint, not the edges.  Does the color of the paint need to be changed, or should I just blend the edges?

Edit: Oh, and btw, I don't really know how to use gradients with layers that have pattern overlays applied.  Is it even possible?  I only ever messed with gradients a few times.  It's probably a useful tool I should learn.  Everything I have learned from photoshop has been self-taught.  Most of the time, I haven't even looked up tutorials!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo